Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else came down with COVID, got back to pedaling, and had a hard time of it? I got back on the mtb after nearly three weeks (about five days after having got rid of the virus) and, of course, I had to choose a XC trail with a ton of steep climbing in the mid-90s, and I felt as if I was going to pass out. It was tough, but God it was so good to be back!

· Registered
1,128 Posts
I "think" I had it this winter....a fairly obvious presumed positive. So I was mostly indoor training on a treadmill and spin bike at the time. But the first couple of weeks there was a notable setback. Just basically getting winded way too easily. Although my muscles were mostly up to the task. I just eased back in a bit at first and worked through it. As far as any lasting ill effects, personally I had none and am thankful for that.

· Just some guy
193 Posts
Anyone else came down with COVID, got back to pedaling, and had a hard time of it? I got back on the mtb after nearly three weeks (about five days after having got rid of the virus) and, of course, I had to choose a XC trail with a ton of steep climbing in the mid-90s, and I felt as if I was going to pass out. It was tough, but God it was so good to be back!
My girlfriend tested positive back in April of 2020. Took her until Nov 2020 to feel almost normal.

5,889 Posts
I had a nasty breakthrough case about a month ago. Surprisingly my chest felt fine when I got back on the bike, but my energy level is still out of whack. I've just felt like of blah since recovering.

· Registered
145 Posts
Strange viruses often do that. This one does that to a good number of people. I got Dengue a number of years ago. It has no respiratory or lung symptoms, but it took a good 6-8 weeks to rebuild endurance and strength. Fortunately it was mid winter and I was just snowboarding and skinning - as well as some spin bike.

· Registered
772 Posts
You're dealing with two things. One, 3 weeks basically puts you back to starting with no cycling leg strength. Also dealing with whatever is going on with your lungs, which varies by person. Some have no effects and others like one of my employees has lung scarring. He's 5 months now doing breathing treatments. I haven't checked in about it lately, but for a while it seriously kicked his butt. If you're still having trouble breathing I'd get into the doctor just to be safe. If you're in a wildfire smoke area like many of us out west, I wouldn't risk riding right now for sure.

· Registered
2,301 Posts
I've heard similar stories from coworkers who've had it - a couple/few weeks of getting winded very easily.

I've been dealing with a sore throat for the past couple days and "is it COVID?" is in the back of my head. Considering I went on a tough ride yesterday without any fitness issues I think I can chalk it up to breathing wildfire smoke all summer. Unless it gets worse...

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're dealing with two things. One, 3 weeks basically puts you back to starting with no cycling leg strength. Also dealing with whatever is going on with your lungs, which varies by person. Some have no effects and others like one of my employees has lung scarring. He's 5 months now doing breathing treatments. I haven't checked in about it lately, but for a while it seriously kicked his butt. If you're still having trouble breathing I'd get into the doctor just to be safe. If you're in a wildfire smoke area like many of us out west, I wouldn't risk riding right now for sure.
I'm feeling winded, but not asthmatic nor expectorating.

· Registered
2,598 Posts
I had it just after mothers day this past spring, a couple of positive 'spit tests' at a reputable research facility. about a week of pretty sick but functional, and a few days on my butt with severe fatigue/LOW energy, then back to low function for a few days. (no hospitalization or other issues). I'm 54 and quite fit, 'unvaxxed', -we were going to get the j&j but got covid instead on the day we were going to get jabbed. I had some blood work done shortly after testing negative after 14 days of sick, the docs got excited about the blood work because my D-dimers were slightly elevated (blood showing signs of dissolving clots, possible sign of embolism risk as I understand it) , but a lung scan that evening showed nothing to worry about, and the doc said I could start riding again the next day (after about 20 days off). I felt really weak during the first few rides, but I was feeling pretty good within 3 weeks, and sharp in 5-6 weeks (picked up a road kom). Off the bike for a bit due to a skateboard crash while doing that with my daughter (I'm DONE with the skateboard). and I'm feeling pretty much 100% now. - I hope you have a similar recovery experience. I did lose about 18 pounds, I'm back to race weight from a few years ago, and I'm climbing well right now.

One scary side effect to be aware of is a short period of depression or anxiety, apparently it's quite common but not widely reported, keep that in mind if you start feeling the walls closing in, and talk to somebody about it.

· Registered
I'm one wheel smarter than riding a unicycle.
865 Posts
I had it in October. Easy case of it, but it robbed all my endurance/stamina and a lot of my strength. It was a full 7 months before I got back to my previous best time on the full lap at the local trail. I've since shaved time off of that on three new PRs, but for years before I got Covid, I could do a PR lap, ride another easy one, and then wail on the bike the whole two miles home. Now I survive the push to the end on the one lap and collapse for a few minutes, then immediately limp home.

It took a lot out of me that I'm afraid I won't ever get back.

· Registered
753 Posts
March last year (53 years old) amounted to 3 day head cold (barely knew I had it), did not slow me down one bit and actually felt great from the added rest. Eliminated all refined sugars/carbs (keto-ish diet) and started taking 10,000iu D3 years ago and that was the first time I had been sick since.

· Registered
2,301 Posts
One scary side effect to be aware of is a short period of depression or anxiety, apparently it's quite common but not widely reported, keep that in mind if you start feeling the walls closing in, and talk to somebody about it.
My wife's boss took her to the emergency room this winter after she complained of feeling disoriented and panicky, "like she was high". I was at the ski hill at the time and raced back to the ER to meet her. Turned out she was having a bad anxiety attack. This was a few weeks after COVID ran through her office. She had no other ymptoms but we both wonder if the panic attack was the only noticeable part of an otherwise non-symptomatic case.

A couple weeks later I had a similar event but not bad enough to seek medical attention. Caveat: unlike my rockstar wife, I'm a total slacker and don't need much of an excuse to ditch work.

It's been a rough year.

5,889 Posts
I'm assuming this has something to do with laying in bed overanalyzing every tiny aspect of your breathing. I have gnarly anxiety anyways but it was definitely kicked into overdrive while I was quarantined.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.