Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting/asking here since 70 people in the Oregon forum saw this, but nobody cared to respond. Those Oregon Elitists ;). And I'm sure Nah Brah knows all the good ****, as he usually does :)
-------------

Hey brothers to the north, NorCal forum guy here. Visiting a friend in in Portland next weekend who is an avid hiker, but not really a MTB guy, but want to take him out for a fun ride. Going to try some sort of Post Canyon ride with him, and hoping to do some sort of shuttle to save the climbing. I've seen a few good routes down that are in the 13 mile range w/ less than a thousand feet of climb. Would like to descend 2k plus if possible.

I have seen you can self shuttle, but parking might be limited up top? Also, I have heard the city bus will take you up there, but that bike space is limited, so maybe park up top early and then just take the bus back up wo/ bikes?

Are there any local shuttle companies that are actually running, I can't find any.

Also, what's the terrain like? We are renting and figured full squish, but maybe a HT is fine?

Any other tips, or anyone interested in shuttling/riding with us next Friday, Oct 1st?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Hah since I got called out ;) Post is literally one of my top 10 spots to ride. I would gladly accept that as my local riding area if I didn't haven't to deal with the rain lol.

Environment: Pretty classic PNW in the trees, but there are quite a few spots were recently logged so more open and dry.

Bike Type: You could get away with a hard tails as there are some pure flow / XC type trails, but Post shines as you want to progress into the features aka drops/jumps. Also, the longer loops typically will send you up to the further reaches which can be a little more chunky / chundery (Baby Heads, Borderline, Blade Runner, Hidden Trail, etc.) given they are moto legal. Given that, I would go full squish for sure!

Shuttles? Not that I am aware of. I have a hook up who lives local but I believe he is back in school so not around right now. Bummer because shuttling at Post is awesome, but honestly the climbs are not too bad (Eldorado to Fire Road). If you self shuttle you will need high clearance and probably 4wd as if it has rained recently the road can get some large puddles / muddy sections.

Trails That Are Musts:
  • Dirt Surfer (fun flowy)
  • Bad Motor Scooter (flowy jumpy)
  • Grand Prix (flowy jumpy)
  • Borderline / Blade Runner (flowy chunky)
  • Mitchel Ridge (pure flowy goodness)
  • Kleeway (flowy jumpy)
  • Three Blind Mice (One of the best intermediate jumplines I have every ridden and easy to progress on / throw down laps)
  • Chair 2 (Black jumpline)
  • Chorus (Black jumpline)
  • Toilet Bowl (Jump / Tech)
  • Hidden Trail (Steep Tech)
  • Float On (Massive flow)
  • Middle School (Intermediate Jumpline)
  • Family Man Area (skills, pump track, easy area with skinnies etc. worth checking out though it will be zoo on the weekend)

Ride up the fire road to the main staging area, but make sure you hit the side trails on the way out / down. Totally worth it and much better than bombing a dumb fire road. It's fun to pick around the edges of the pro lines (Yoga, FMX) to see if you can muster up the courage to hit a few of the smaller features and/or watch people frickin getting crazy!

Enjoy! If you want chunder / tech, Syncline is right across the river and is super techy and a complete change of pace. Other options are Surveyors Ridge to Oak Ridge on Mt Hood / 44 Trails network. This is a great ride but needs a shuttle.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hah since I got called out ;) Post is literally one of my top 10 spots to ride. I would gladly accept that as my local riding area if I didn't haven't to deal with the rain lol.

Environment: Pretty classic PNW in the trees, but there are quite a few spots were recently logged so more open and dry.

Bike Type: You could get away with a hard tails as there are some pure flow / XC type trails, but Post shines as you want to progress into the features aka drops/jumps. Also, the longer loops typically will send you up to the further reaches which can be a little more chunky / chundery (Baby Heads, Borderline, Blade Runner, Hidden Trail, etc.) given they are moto legal. Given that, I would go full squish for sure!

Shuttles? Not that I am aware of. I have a hook up who lives local but I believe he is back in school so not around right now. Bummer because shuttling at Post is awesome, but honestly the climbs are not too bad (Eldorado to Fire Road). If you self shuttle you will need high clearance and probably 4wd as if it has rained recently the road can get some large puddles / muddy sections.

Trails That Are Musts:
  • Dirt Surfer (fun flowy)
  • Bad Motor Scooter (flowy jumpy)
  • Grand Prix (flowy jumpy)
  • Borderline / Blade Runner (flowy chunky)
  • Mitchel Ridge (pure flowy goodness)
  • Kleeway (flowy jumpy)
  • Three Blind Mice (One of the best intermediate jumplines I have every ridden and easy to progress on / throw down laps)
  • Chair 2 (Black jumpline)
  • Chorus (Black jumpline)
  • Toilet Bowl (Jump / Tech)
  • Hidden Trail (Steep Tech)
  • Float On (Massive flow)
  • Middle School (Intermediate Jumpline)
  • Family Man Area (skills, pump track, easy area with skinnies etc. worth checking out though it will be zoo on the weekend)

Ride up the fire road to the main staging area, but make sure you hit the side trails on the way out / down. Totally worth it and much better than bombing a dumb fire road. It's fun to pick around the edges of the pro lines (Yoga, FMX) to see if you can muster up the courage to hit a few of the smaller features and/or watch people frickin getting crazy!

Enjoy! If you want chunder / tech, Syncline is right across the river and is super techy and a complete change of pace. Other options are Surveyors Ridge to Oak Ridge on Mt Hood / 44 Trails network. This is a great ride but needs a shuttle.
The main thing I got out of all of this is that there is a trail called "TOILET BOWL"... Pretty awesome amount of info to chew on, thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think i see where some of my confusion was. I was mixing/combining Post Canyon and Timberline/Govt Camp areas. My buddy may want to do the Timberline to Town ride which looks a little more basic, and prob his speed. I guess that's the one that has some kind of local bus service...
Ecoregion Product Rectangle Slope Font

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.