Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 844 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Pa. bicyclist on cross-country cancer ride killed

(06-24) 06:01 PDT Ringtown, Pa. (AP) --

A 19-year-old Pennsylvania man riding his bicycle across the country to raise awareness and money for breast cancer research was struck and killed by an SUV in New Mexico.

Officials say John Anczarski, of Ringtown, Pa., died Tuesday of injuries suffered a day earlier in New Laguna, N.M., about 50 miles west of Albuquerque.

Anczarski, a University of Colorado engineering student, and three friends called their project "The Pink Pedal." The group said it had raised several thousand dollars for cancer research. They left Pennsylvania on May 23 and expected to reach San Diego next month.

Police say the investigation into the crash has been turned over to the Bureau of Indian Affairs, because the accident occurred on tribal land. No charges have been filed.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/06/24/national/a060124D14.DTL&tsp=1

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Yeah, it sucks. Welcome to my nighmare.

You pray they keep it 3 feet to your left. It is hard to be vigilant with the mirror so you can be prepared to head to the ditch for every car. We had several police officers on a police bike ride killed in Indiana when their chase vehicle (a 1 ton van) was struck by a long wheelbase straight truck and forced over the nearest riders. So even the 'saftey' of a buffering chase vehicle is no guarantee. You do the best you can, or you hang up the bike.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
Is Bike Commuter News the same as Commuter Bike News? Because in a major victory for commuters everywhere, UCI has changed the cyclocross rule banning disc brakes in international competition:
http://www.cxmagazine.com/disc-brakes-cyclocross-uci-debate-2010

The implications for potential commuter bike builds are huge, as most major manufacturers must at least now consider offering their high-end cyclocross frames and forks with disc tabs. This could even lead to the development of hydraulic road levers...

·
namagomi
2,884 Posts
CommuterBoy said:
Is Bike Commuter News the same as Commuter Bike News? Because in a major victory for commuters everywhere, UCI has changed the cyclocross rule banning disc brakes in international competition:
http://www.cxmagazine.com/disc-brakes-cyclocross-uci-debate-2010

The implications for potential commuter bike builds are huge, as most major manufacturers must at least now consider offering their high-end cyclocross frames and forks with disc tabs. This could even lead to the development of hydraulic road levers...
Not sure if it's good for the sport, but it is good news for commuters and the cx based industry. Lets hope they don't shy away from fender mountings!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
From Commuterboys link here:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/uci-rules-big-season

I quote: "The Committee reduced the maximum width of tires from 35mm to 33mm, meaning some riders will have to adapt to slightly narrower tires for next season. Although not many UCI racers compete on clinchers, this rule could impact those who race with wider tires. It’s important to note that most 700×35c clinchers are undersized and do not measure out to be more than 33c on a standard road rim, according to our comprehensive tire reviews."

For commuting, I wish they hadn't. My 32's are 31.9 mm on 19 mm rims, and my 35 mm on 23 mm rims are 35, or close enough. A nice commuter derived from a cross designed with a true 35 mm tire in mind would be nice. Oh well.

PS I hope that covers my butt wrt copyright.

·
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Truck driver inconvenienced, wants arrogant unlawful cyclists off the road

Burlington VT Free Press
My Turn:
Arrogant, naive bicyclists dangerous on roads By Bill Russell • Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Comments(104)
I would like to thank Mike Lavery for his comments Sept. 26 on cyclists on our roads (“Bicyclist ad*vocates being selfish, petty”). (note -I've been unable to find this gem) I’m a small earth contractor in Underhill. On a daily basis I encounter several times, dangerous meetings with cyclists while driving a 60,000 pound load, 10-wheel gravel truck.

Arrogant is the best word I can come up with, along with naive, for cyclists' unlawful operation of their bikes. At times I have to slow to almost a stop to avoid an accident -- this is where the naive part comes into play as well as arrogant. Most of the cyclists I encounter don't have a "clue" of the dangers at hand.

We drivers can choose three ways to navigate in these scary dilemmas: 1. Cross the yellow line and force over or hit the oncoming vehicle; 2. Run over or shove the cyclist off into the guard rails or over the bank; or 3. Slow to near a stop and then slowly shift our heavy loaded trucks back up to speed after avoiding them, which by the way takes time, extra fuel and holds up other traffic. Obviously I take the third and will continue to do so, but it will someday have to stop. Roads like Vermont 15, River Road, Pleasant Valley and others just simply do not have the room needed for both.
It is sad that it will come to a dramatic end when some politician's child or family gets severely hurt or killed in a situation where another driver took or was forced to take ways number 1 or 2.

It's mandatory for motorcycle operators to take special safety courses and we as truck drivers take driving courses and have to maintain our commercial drivers licenses, as well as need to be tested and licensed to use the highways. But the bikers can simply ride along our roads without any safety training, licensing or insurance at all, say nothing of sharing the road costs.

The state of Vermont should mark this note and others about the dangers they are condoning, allowing cyclists to share our busy "outdated roadways." As Mr. Lavery stated, "Isn't it funny that motorists that pay have a 'privilege' to use the roads and for bikes it is a 'right'? Lets take back our roads."

Bill Russell lives in Underhill.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
mtbxplorer said:
Burlington VT Free Press
My Turn:
Arrogant, naive bicyclists dangerous on roads By Bill Russell • Wednesday, October 20, 2010 ....
infuriating...

·
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
That is pretty scary! And I must say that when I have been driving & unable to avoid a collision with a deer (which refuse to use blinkies, relective wear, or stay toward the right side of the road), that I always knew exactly what I was hitting. I don't get how you can just mow anything over and not even see it.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
mtbxplorer said:
That is pretty scary! And I must say that when I have been driving & unable to avoid a collision with a deer (which refuse to use blinkies, relective wear, or stay toward the right side of the road), that I always knew exactly what I was hitting. I don't get how you can just mow anything over and not even see it.
Haven't hit a cyclist (touch wood). If deer would stay at the side of the road they wouldn't be such an issue. I have done $3500 damage to a months old Honda Civic hitting an 8-point buck (dressed out at 195 pounds!) that bounded onto I71 landing its leap 3 feet in front of my left headlight (dark overcast night, no glimpse before hand. Just: Deer head! and Crunch.) Yeah, you see it. If the driver in question never hit a deer, or never rode in a car when it hit a deer, she would not know their tawny coloring shows up very well at short range in the headlights! Now if you were trying to dial a phone number, or swapping out a CD, or other wise not looking, it is easy not to see what you hit.

You are also required to stop in most states if you hit someone's dog. Then there is vehicle damage. It makes one heck of a noise to do that much damage. Wouldn't you be concerned about whether it is safe to drive the car? So it doesn't pass the 'guilty or so stupid she may as well be' test. Negligence, incompetence, or criminal, does it matter? Makes you wonder if the woman is covering for the actual driver who should not have been driving.

Bike had no front light mount I could see. 5:00 AM Sunday morning = dark. Ninja rider?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
martinsillo said:
humm...I think BrianMKojak.
Not that bald (yet). Don't like suckers much. Who loves ya?

martinsillo said:
has an interesting point of view....
Too many detective novels....:D

martinsillo said:
this cases are just sad.
The every dark cloud has a silver lining: Good thing the cyclist was thrown clear. She wasn't under the car when it got home.

So senseless, so preventable, so sad, and such a waste.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
highdelll said:
Not to put too fine a point on it, being sandpapered to death against the pavement while trapped under an SUV, is among my last choices as a way to buy the farm. There was a recent pedestrian who was not discovered until the drunk driver got home. Don't remember the details.

81 - 100 of 844 Posts