Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005 Blur 4x Medium that I've only had about three months. Its beautiful, annoed gray, I got a sweet deal on it as a leftover 2005. It was my first FS and I've loved it since the day I got it. I did notice that my lap times at my favorite practice trail were slower than with my old hardtail but I figure I'd adapt.

We'll!!! I recently picked up a used Superlight, the deal was awesome and I figured I'd just turn it over,maybe make a buck or two on it. I rode it for the first time yesterday and I was over a minute faster on the old practice trail. Although the bike is actually heavier overall, it rode much lighter to me. The trail does have plenty of climbing so maybe its a better climber than the 4X.

Anyway, now I have a dilema. Which do i keep, I want to start racing more and if the Superlight is going to be quicker, then maybe I should go with it. But the 4X does have the VPP, I like the color better, and its my "baby".

I could keep them both, but I really need didn't plan on spending the money that way. maybe set one up for playing/casual and the other for racing only.

What do you think??????????????????????????????????

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
Keep 'em both!

tolleyman said:
I could keep them both, but I really need didn't plan on spending the money that way. maybe set one up for playing/casual and the other for racing only.
Yes! Set up the SL with weight weenie parts. Set up the 4X with more heavy duty trail stuff.

Are you sure the Superlight is heavier? Does it have a lower end build?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Try the SC XC--it also has the VPP. I find the cross-country/racing geometry bikes ride faster even at the same weight because they put you in a more efficient position for peddling.

Interesingly, I tried quite a few of the different bikes, Anthem 1 (not enough travel), Rush (good bike, a bit to all mountain, not enough XC), FSR Pro (too plushy and way too all mountain), Intense (very nice mix of XC geometry and some plush). The SC Blur XC, however, seems to be the best mix of XC and all-mountain. I like the geometry of XC bikes because I prefer to be streched out over the bike as oppossed to straighter up. However, I also like to have some nice plush for downhill and the SC XC is good for that. Its a nice compromise for me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'v hit on something there with the comment about being "streched out" over the bike.

Will my Klein Rascal I felt very "streched out", almost in a road bike position, not that, that's bad, but its not a very comfortable trail bike/casual riding position.

I moved on to a Klein Attitude, and the geometry placed me a little more upright, I liked it, it climbed like a mountain goat, and was very light.

Now I've got this 4X and I'm even more upright, which I like alot, from a comfort standpoint, its the best I've ever had, its a lot easier to get technical on too, you know, wheelies, bunny hops, log crossings, more like a BMX than an XC racer. But I bombed on it in my first race with it, the hills killed me. I'm thinking that I should've gone with the XC or LT if racing/XC was my real goal.

Anybody wanna trade an Large XC or LT, for a Medium 4X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
tolleyman said:
You'v hit on something there with the comment about being "streched out" over the bike.

Will my Klein Rascal I felt very "streched out", almost in a road bike position, not that, that's bad, but its not a very comfortable trail bike/casual riding position.

I moved on to a Klein Attitude, and the geometry placed me a little more upright, I liked it, it climbed like a mountain goat, and was very light.

Now I've got this 4X and I'm even more upright, which I like alot, from a comfort standpoint, its the best I've ever had, its a lot easier to get technical on too, you know, wheelies, bunny hops, log crossings, more like a BMX than an XC racer. But I bombed on it in my first race with it, the hills killed me. I'm thinking that I should've gone with the XC or LT if racing/XC was my real goal.

Anybody wanna trade an Large XC or LT, for a Medium 4X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I breathe better when I'm at more of an angle. The handlebars about two inches lower than the seat.

Also--how heavy are you? From what I understand (and I'm certainly no expert) if you are bigger (over 200) then you would go with a more beefy bike like the LT. But if you are 200 or less and racing then I would think the XC would be a better bike for you. As I stated it is surprisingly plush for that geometry and weight (and of course that's where your weight comes in). You can get them at 25 pounds easy with 4 1/2 inch rear travel and a front shock like the Reba Team U-Turn--you can dial it down to 85 mm for racing and then crank it up to 115 for fun--that would put you in a more upright position. You could go with more front travel, but I don't think it really fits the geometry of the XC when you get much past 100mm--then you're better off with the LT, but you are back in the same boat again.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm running Rock Shox Revelation 426 U-turn which will allow me to dial down the front for racing, I will try that and see how it feels. I'm at 26lbs, 10 oz., so not that heavy really. Its about three pounds more than the hardtails I used to race.

PS: I'm currently 180 lbs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
tolleyman said:
I'm running Rock Shox Revelation 426 U-turn which will allow me to dial down the front for racing, I will try that and see how it feels. I'm at 26lbs, 10 oz., so not that heavy really. Its about three pounds more than the hardtails I used to race.

PS: I'm currently 180 lbs.
I think you'd be much happier with an XC personally at 180 pounds. I don't see what advantage you get from an LT at 180 pounds if you are going to be racing. The weight is a trade-off on picking up speed over really rough terrain with a longer travel bike. But as you said your speeds was slower on the LT so you aren't getting any gain. Try the XC and see if your speed picks up--if it does, that pretty much makes the decision for you--unless you don't like coming in in the top half of the entrants! :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've changed my seatpost for one with about 15mm more rear offset and it helps add to the length a bit, I think I'm going to keep both the SL and the 4X for now. I can build the SL into a light race only bike over time and keep the 4X as a trail/fun bike.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Both.

tolleyman said:
I've changed my seatpost for one with about 15mm more rear offset and it helps add to the length a bit, I think I'm going to keep both the SL and the 4X for now. I can build the SL into a light race only bike over time and keep the 4X as a trail/fun bike.
Good decision, good decision.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.