Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Snow Dog
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, have been thinking about my bike packing drivetrain set up for the future....have an OG Krampus right now with the 1x10 set up.

was wondering if it would be possible to go to a 2x ____ set up, with a circular and an oval ring in the front. Is that even possible? I can't imagine that the derailleur could shift from one to another....or could that work

I am trying to avoid going to the 50 tooth pie plate on the cassette or things like that...

don't need to go to 2X, but was just sort of trying to think outside the box...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Ovality aside, seems that without a ramp the chain won't climb up onto the big ring.

Are the bolt circles the same on the 1x systems as the 2x systems had/have?

That's probably not helpful, and is something you've probably already thought about.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
4,858 Posts
At least a couple people (Rotor, Absolute Black) make oval 2x rings for road bikes, but I don't know about mix and match. My guess would be not likely.

Also, I think you're far off from the "dumbest question" award. The drag racing thread comes to mind. ;)

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,481 Posts
I am trying to avoid going to the 50 tooth pie plate
Embrace the pie plate, don't hate!

I've only got a 42 and it helps quite a bit. I'd go bigger if I were to move somewhere with more climbing.

·
Snow Dog
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least a couple people (Rotor, Absolute Black) make oval 2x rings for road bikes, but I don't know about mix and match. My guess would be not likely.

Also, I think you're far off from the "dumbest question" award. The drag racing thread comes to mind. ;)
ah yes...the classic drag racing thread....how did I forget?

Embrace the pie plate, don't hate!

I've only got a 42 and it helps quite a bit. I'd go bigger if I were to move somewhere with more climbing.
42 would possibly the biggest I would go...right now, any bike packing I would do would be either here in the midwest, or the east coast, so lots of short, but high grade climbs...

...still feel like I would want to stay 1X_____ so the pie plate might become a thing

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I would just go 1x11. You can do it for relatively low cost. If you go with the 11/46 cassette...you'll pretty much have all the range you need.

·
Snow Dog
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would just go 1x11. You can do it for relatively low cost. If you go with the 11/46 cassette...you'll pretty much have all the range you need.
yeah...will probably stay with 1x11, but might try an oval ring for that just because...I really like only having one ring up front

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Will the oval ring be a dramatic assistance for bike packing rides? Meaning, once you're loaded up and cruising it along, will the oval come in to play?

I've never ridden an oval to understand how much easier I'd be able to pedal.

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,481 Posts
42 would possibly the biggest I would go...right now, any bike packing I would do would be either here in the midwest, or the east coast, so lots of short, but high grade climbs...

...still feel like I would want to stay 1X_____ so the pie plate might become a thing
I have two Sunrace 11-42 cassettes from amazon for like $50 a piece. I could have used a 46 when I was out west, but here I don't need anything else, especially not a front mech and 2x. Having less parts to fail and more room for other things would be a good thing for bike packing I would think.

I wouldn't mind trying out an oval, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Don't expect much from an oval, maybe a very slight improvement or none at all. I have a one-up on my fs bike, and an absolute black on the cx bike, One-Up describes it as 'smoother climbing' which I think is probably more accurate than expecting faster climbing or easier climbing. A 2x might be a good solution for you, especially if you're carrying a big load.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
yes. It is possible for sure. I don't think the size or oval part of the chainring would matter. The problem is I am not sure you will be able to find a none narrow-wide chainring. So getting the timing right from shifting small to big might be an issue. Or being narrow wide is suppose to hold on to a chain, it might be hard to get it to shift out of it.

That being said, if for bikepacking, you may want to go "manual", hand shifting your front. If that is the case, shouldn't be an issue. I have several friends that have gone that route.

I will say as I have said to others. It is your bike. You are the one that will be riding it so do what ever you think is right for you.

I am still running a 2x11 set up with gears that most people "shake their head" and say "but why" as if I need to justify it to them. And while they're pushing their bike up a steep hill, I am climbing (though it might be 2 mph), I can still get to the top and say "I rode it".

·
Snow Dog
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have two Sunrace 11-42 cassettes from amazon for like $50 a piece. I could have used a 46 when I was out west, but here I don't need anything else, especially not a front mech and 2x. Having less parts to fail and more room for other things would be a good thing for bike packing I would think.

I wouldn't mind trying out an oval, but I wouldn't go out of my way.
I do think that the "having less parts" thing is more important in the end...part of the reason I bought the bike anyways....simplicity

Don't expect much from an oval, maybe a very slight improvement or none at all. I have a one-up on my fs bike, and an absolute black on the cx bike, One-Up describes it as 'smoother climbing' which I think is probably more accurate than expecting faster climbing or easier climbing. A 2x might be a good solution for you, especially if you're carrying a big load.
I am hoping to keep the load weight to as little as comfort will allow. I am wondering if I will go 2x for the first couple of trips to see how it works...I can always go back to one if it doesn't....

yes. It is possible for sure. I don't think the size or oval part of the chainring would matter. The problem is I am not sure you will be able to find a none narrow-wide chainring. So getting the timing right from shifting small to big might be an issue. Or being narrow wide is suppose to hold on to a chain, it might be hard to get it to shift out of it.

That being said, if for bikepacking, you may want to go "manual", hand shifting your front. If that is the case, shouldn't be an issue. I have several friends that have gone that route.

I will say as I have said to others. It is your bike. You are the one that will be riding it so do what ever you think is right for you.

I am still running a 2x11 set up with gears that most people "shake their head" and say "but why" as if I need to justify it to them. And while they're pushing their bike up a steep hill, I am climbing (though it might be 2 mph), I can still get to the top and say "I rode it".
didn't think about the narrow-wide thing....also was thinking about the manual shifting thing as well...and definitely agree with the idea of riding up climbs as much as possible. I generally never worry about what others think about the way I ride....

all good stuff to ponder here as summer comes along. Pondering this, and a "Dream bikepacking wheel set" as well

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'd highly recommend the 2x setup without an FD and just manually swap rings when you need, especially if this is for bike packing where I'd guess you won't be much of a rush. I run this setup as I think I'd mentioned before in a thread you were involved in and it works really well, run 2 NW chainrings, a 32t and 36t (30/36 would prob be a better spread for you bike packing) and I run an extender 40 or 42t cog on an 10spd 11-36 cassette and drop the 11t cog.

I'm personally on all 10spd except for the RD, I use an 11spd XT RD paired to the 10spd shifter and it works fine and is a lot smoother and softer than straight up XT 11spd, do not like SRAM feel nor ergonomics at all, so not an option.

Whether one ring is oval and the other is not would not make any difference in terms of being able to use them together on the same crank swapping manually, just make sure that your derailleur can take up the chain slack between the 2 rings.

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
I'm not sure about using oval/round rings but 2x for bikepacking could be a good choice imo. I'd also recommend using a shift lever, I used a ft derailleur for a long time (still do on my road bike) and they are very reliable and practically maintenance free.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,807 Posts
On the mtb, I've never seen a shiftable oval ring (ignoring the road ones), so I think hand shifting would be the only way you could pull it off. That said, I agree that the difference isn't all that dramatic for ovals. I had an absolute black oval for awhile, but went back to round. The cost difference between steel round rings and aluminum ovals was a bigger difference to me, tbh.

on a bikepacking-specific bike, I think that's the only situation where I'd seek out a traditional 2x drivetrain for mtb purposes anymore. And I'd probably want to do it with a tighter-ratio cassette, too.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Will the oval ring be a dramatic assistance for bike packing rides? Meaning, once you're loaded up and cruising it along, will the oval come in to play?

I've never ridden an oval to understand how much easier I'd be able to pedal.

no, it will not be a dramatic affect. There is no magic chainring that makes physics go away.
You will probably notice it, and the slower you pedal the more noticeable it is. It doesn't cause you to generate more power or anything.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
on a bikepacking-specific bike, I think that's the only situation where I'd seek out a traditional 2x drivetrain for mtb purposes anymore. And I'd probably want to do it with a tighter-ratio cassette, too.
That's what I was thinking (tighter ratios). Seems potential larger gaps on some 1x11/12's wouldn't be as convenient when hauling a larger load.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I'm running that combo on my gravel bike right now, a 36-tooth 2X oval ring from Absolute Black and the stock Praxis 50 tooth big ring. Shifts fine.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,807 Posts
I'm running that combo on my gravel bike right now, a 36-tooth 2X oval ring from Absolute Black and the stock Praxis 50 tooth big ring. Shifts fine.
I don't think you're talking about exactly what OP wanted. I doubt that OP's Krampus would fit a road crank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts