Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
addict
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the drill. Moving to the southeast to be closer to the wife's family. Considering the Charlotte area. Just looking for info.
There are some pretty amazing photos posted on this forum, how far is it to sweet riding from Charlotte.
By the way I am moving from the Denver area, so I am used to driving a few hours for the goods.

thanks for any info, Sid

·
Registered
150 Posts
Charlotte is a great place to be!

2 hours to hundreds of miles of technical trail in the mountains in Pisgah.
2 hours to "eastern slickrock" at Dupont
Both of the above are in the Asheville/Brevard/Hendersonville area, west of Charlotte.

For after-work rides, plenty of opportunities within 10-30 minutes from Charlotte. Not as technical or with as much elevation gains as the trails in the Asheville area, but worthy for the quick ride during the week. 50 miles of local Charlotte trails, and growing every day.

Check out www.tarheeltrailblazers.com for more info on local trails. If your wife rides, she needs to check out the Dirt Divas -- a 100-member group of women of all riding abilities and many group rides. www.dirtdivas.net. (Dirt Divas' site is undergoing some major renovations right now, and will be much better soon...)

·
Freeride Pabstist Church
279 Posts
I would consider divorce before moving to Charlotte. Some decent local trails but a serious step(s) down from Denver in all respects. If you do head this way, would you bring me a couple cases of Long's Peak Razzy Wheat? I'd be glad to pay for the effort. :)

pb

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
I wouldn't move to Charlotte either. The sensibilities just don't agree with me anymore so I plan to leave asap.

To answer you specific question I allow 2.5 hours to reach any good Pisgah riding from my home in SE Charlotte. If you lived further west or north you could do it in around 2...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I didn't think we were supposed to encourage more folks to move here?!

besides, the area kinda lends itself to that any way, once you ride here you have the bug implanted. good luck with the charlotte area though, I couldn't live there but I enjoy visiting. I'll be racing out there this weekend too.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
I don't know why, but it bugs me when people bag on CLT. I lived in NE Ohio for 25+ years before I moved here. I am quite happy.
WHY?
I walk to my grocery store/restaraunts/etc.
Year 'round riding.
Pisgah nearby.
Beach nearby (I hate it, but the fanily loves it)
A big and diverse MTB commmunity.
Lotsa jobs.
No snow (after 25+ years in Ohio I've had a lifetime's worth)

Sure we have a bunch of people living here who are "materialistic" or "religiously hypocritical", but I don't have to consort with folks if I don't want to.
I can't peacefully road ride outta my door, but living in the middle of any urban area poses a similar problem.
Yes, it gets damn hot.
Yes, we have smog/haze/ozone/whatever (I thought Denver had problems too).

I've lived here for about 11 years. It's a "big city", but I constantly bump into people I know when I'm out and about giving it a small town feel.

Just defending my turf, that's all. Not everybody likes the same cup 'o tea.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
plume said:
I didn't think we were supposed to encourage more folks to move here?!

besides, the area kinda lends itself to that any way, once you ride here you have the bug implanted. good luck with the charlotte area though, I couldn't live there but I enjoy visiting. I'll be racing out there this weekend too.
Yes you probably want to discourage land developers, trail skidders, segway users etc. from the area but not other mountain bikers. A strong mountain biking community is a good way to promote the things you like about your town.

Look at Crested Butte they now have a mayor who promotes these types of things instead of just focusing on economics with no regard to the community. Who knows maybe Ol' George has it right. Maybe if there was a strong enough MTB community in your area you could even build a private mtb community. I.E. golf community.

Imagine if you lived in a nieghborhood that had trails out your door for all of you and your neighbors to share. Sounds cool to me anyway.

Me, I enjoy the town I live in. I moved here strictly for mountain biking and love of the mountains. Now if our town can stay on track with it's plans of building an "active" communtiy I will probably be here for a long time.

Just my .02. I get frustrated sometimes when we have all these arguments about what towns are better and why. Yes I know, then I should go back to my measely SC forum. Gong back now.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Imagine if you lived in a nieghborhood that had trails out your door for all of you and your neighbors to share. Sounds cool to me anyway.

I've been very lucky to have just that for 13 years. The way things are going in Asheville, I still wouldn't be suprised to see this sign out back one day:

Attachments

·
addict
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maida7 said:
Why Charlotte? Why not Asheville, Hendersonville, or Brevard? Probably more jobs in Charlotte but the riding is better around Asheville. Where are your priorities?
I'll be working at the airport. Gotta pay the bills.

sid

·
addict
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the info.

My other choices are Hotlanta, Nashville, or Memphis. Just looking for the same situation as here, good after/before work rides, and epics for the weekend.

The MTB "scene" is also important. I lived in Dallas before Denver, and mtbing was a subculture. Here in CO, so many people ride that you have conflicts with your own. MTB vs. MTB is no way to be.

sid

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Could someone point me to a source or threads that have photos of the local mtb terrain?.

I currently enjoy technical XC, so the more technical the more it would appeal to me. Charlotte is on my short list of places to move to. The NYC metro just doesn't feel like a place i could ever consider home.

Also, my girlfriend is Asian and i think she is timid to the idea of moving to a very southern cultured city. How are the demographics and how opened minded is Charlotte Uptown? If we were to move there we would probably like to rent in the happening area of the city until we know our way around and make some friends.

If anything i said seems derogatory i apologize.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
you'd be fine in Charlotte. It is an actual city after all. Even us hicks in Asheville have some class.

I've found southern culture to be much more friendly and open compared to the north east.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just comming up on 8 yrs as a NY transplant

idbrian said:
Could someone point me to a source or threads that have photos of the local mtb terrain?.

I currently enjoy technical XC, so the more technical the more it would appeal to me. Charlotte is on my short list of places to move to. The NYC metro just doesn't feel like a place i could ever consider home.

Also, my girlfriend is Asian and i think she is timid to the idea of moving to a very southern cultured city. How are the demographics and how opened minded is Charlotte Uptown? If we were to move there we would probably like to rent in the happening area of the city until we know our way around and make some friends.

If anything i said seems derogatory i apologize.
I moved down from LI / NYC about 8 years ago started riding just shy of 2 years ago. The MTB community is very open and engaging. www.tarheeltrailblazers.com, one of the local clubs has done a great job with building relationships with the parks and rec department to build trail. Another local club www.bikepasa.com has also forged relationships and are currently working on a more tech/freeride type trail. As stated above there is Pisgah/dupont etc that has reall 'mountain' rides. to the east of charlotte the Uwharrie National forest along with IMBA is starting a trail center / free ride park real destination riding and that is about 40 min outside Charlotte from the east side.

As to the culture, it is quite different than NYC ... good and bad. Very diverse compared to where/how I grew up on Long Island. You will miss somethings and NOT MISS unfortuanely other things like traffic. :madmax: Overall I am very glad to have moved down here, I have the wife kids picket fence suburban life but I understand the (downtown/uptown thing...it has neither and depending on what/who you talk to that is where you are you can travers the 'city proper' in about 20 min by foot) is pretty good from what I understand.

come for a visit and meet up with some people, there have been any just passing through that have post up on the trailblazers site that they would be in town and met riders and some local trails

good luck

·
Freeride Pabstist Church
279 Posts
plume said:
I've found southern culture to be much more friendly and open compared to the north east.
Be nice to bacteria, it's the only culture the south has.

pb

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Does anyone whitewater kayak? It is another recreational sport i'm interested in but never had a chance to get into. Mainly because NJ has no whitewater. With the National Center being nearby i'm guessing the kayaking opportunities are plentiful. Seems like a good sport to fill the gaps when riding isn't ideal (like early spring / late fall).

Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.