Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a difference between men's and woman's chamois pads? My wife bought me a pair of pearl Izumi shorts and zoik shorts and I swear the pear Izumi must be a woman's pair. The chamois looks completely different as well. I feel like I'm wearing adult diapers in the peal Izumi pair!

· Disgruntled Peccary
7,465 Posts
I don't like Pearls new chamois. They're pretty much formless and just fluff. I've worn women shorts (wife had a pair she hated, lemmons to lemonade), the chamois isn't really the biggest difference, it was the length of the leg and rise.

· Registered
3,686 Posts
Maybe physically in terms of size or design, but practically...

It's a piece of fancy foam that goes under your bum.

There has been a trend in general towards larger/thicker chamois lately, but whether or not that's an actual issue, well--I'll leave that to my behind. I don't particularly dig the look, but if it's comfortable on the bike, that's all I really care about.

· Registered
5,966 Posts
Is there a difference between men's and woman's chamois pads? My wife bought me a pair of pearl Izumi shorts and zoik shorts and I swear the pear Izumi must be a woman's pair. The chamois looks completely different as well. I feel like I'm wearing adult diapers in the peal Izumi pair!
There is a moderate design difference, but since everyone is different, it's a try and see if you like it. I "heard" the women's has a wider sit bone area (similar to saddle design).

Most brands have some indicator for the women's version. I do have a male friend that uses women's ride shorts because the inseam is short like he wants. You can say much to him because you'll only see him from the back as he passes you on the DH.

What I do is find a pair of spandex shorts/bib (like for road) that work for me and wear those under the ride shorts. Of course, this only works if the liner is removable. Some are, some aren't. I won't even buy shorts unless they have a removable liner. This is more expensive, but what is the cost of your butt hurting 1/2 into a ride? The added bonus to using road bibs/shorts is when it's muddy. You can take the ride shorts off after the ride outside the car without giving everyone a peep show.

I use Primal Wear bibs and Zoic Black Market shorts. The Zoic chamois are marginal for me at best. I might wear one with the shorts if nothing else is clean and I'm going for an hour or less ride.

Reactions: fftfk

· since 4/10/2009
38,094 Posts
the only Pearl chamois I have are "liner shorts" that have somewhat thinner chamois that's not horrible.

I'd agree that usually the biggest differences between men's and women's shorts are the cut, not the chamois, though. My wife and I both have the same style Sugoi shorts and they'd be incredibly difficult to distinguish if it wasn't for the chamois having diff colors for men/women. If they were the same color, we'd have to rely on holding them up next to each other to identify the sizing/cut.

Count me as someone who's mostly trending towards thinner chamois for my riding shorts these days, too. I like having a couple thicker chamois around for the occasional road ride or long distance effort, but usually, that sort of thing is unnecessary.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I have lots of chamois but have been wearing these lately, even on longer rides. They are surprisingly good, given how minimalist they are.

· since 4/10/2009
38,094 Posts
I have lots of chamois but have been wearing these lately, even on longer rides. They are surprisingly good, given how minimalist they are.

I've been tempted to try those (or something like them)

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I've been tempted to try those (or something like them)
Not to hijack the thread, but for something else a “little out there”, these are great too. But they are SO minimalist that they are not as snug as I like (I already sized down to medium, but they are still a little looser than I like for bibs, but still perfectly fine). Also, I poked my finger through the lace-like material when I was rushing one day putting them on.

Harold - no need to size down for the foundation briefs. I didn’t and they fit beautifully.

I also have these from 7Mesh. Also very good (I sized down on those):

· since 4/10/2009
38,094 Posts
I don't generally have trouble with the multiple waistbands digging in thing. I could definitely see bibs being more comfortable for higher effort stuff, longer xc-ish rides, road rides, longer gravel rides, etc, though. for me, the difference would probably be more of a general rubbing thing. but on the vast majority of my rides, I don't experience that, either.

I usually feel more comfortable with clothes that tend to feel more like regular clothes on most of my rides. of course, getting the fit and fabrics right for mtb riding is essential for that to actually work.

· Registered
3,180 Posts
Kind of hard to know until you try. For me, they're a lot more comfortable.
Same here. Once I tried a bib that was all I reached for from then on.

For MTB bibs that are more "liner" bibs for under shorts, I really don't understand why they all don't have the "access hatch" that has been pretty much standard on mens undergarments for as long as I can remember...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.