Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than tell a long winded story about why I'm asking, I'll simply just ask - is it possible/worth it to swap out the read hub? Shimano builds crap hubs and I'd like to upgrade to a Chris King or DT Swiss on my duster wheel - I'm just wondering if this is possible/worth it or if I should just get a new wheelset (I'd really prefer not to spend that much at the moment). If so, will my SLX brake disc and Shimano cassette fit right onto most 12x142 hubs, or do I need to look for something more specifically compatible.

Thanks as always!

·
Formerly of Kent
12,356 Posts
Shimano makes pretty awesome hubs (XTR), you just have to know how to maintain them.

Yes, you can swap your rotor and cassette onto most 142x12mm hubs. Just make sure they have the correct freehub body. I.e., make sure they are using a freehub for 8/9/10 speeds (all use the same) or 11 speeds ("XD" standard from SRAM).

However, you'll almost certainly need new spokes and someone to build the wheel up for you. Both cost money.

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
Sure it's possible but whether or not it's worth it depends on a lot of factors, one of them being whether or not your existing hub is still good. I've seen some Shimano hubs last a very long time.

I replace a bad hub on an existing wheel a week or so ago, it was worth it to me.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Shimano freehub I have is on an HG62 cassette - I don't know what kind it is beyond that (other than it's probably not an XTR). The first one crapped out after 8 or so months of riding, the second one I got under warranty lasted about 2 hours. Trek is telling me the hub itself may have "rounded out" and may upgrade me.

Apologies on the vagueness though, I probably should have used a qualifier for what's 'worth it' - it appears new rear wheels in the same value range as mine would probably cost about the same as a new hub and build up.

Lastly, my last bike had a Shimano drivetrain. It needed frequent adjustments, but other than that everything was still working fine the last time I rode it (which was 11 or so years after the first time I rode it). My experience with this model hasn't been so good, and reading around for the last week seems to indicate I'm not the only one having these experiences. I'm sure they do make some nicer ones, but the ones I got ain't them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts