Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Giant Revel 1 which has v-brakes on the front and rear. I've been doing some research on possible upgrades in the future for the bike and one big one seems to be a better fork. However, it appears that my options are very limited on forks having the v-brakes.

So my question is, what all would be involved with a transition from a v-brake to a disc brake? Besides just buying the brakes, what other parts/items need to be purchased? Would I also need a new rim that's compatible with a disc brake?

Also, would I need to do the conversion and fork upgrade at the same time or would the current fork still be ok to use with the disc brakes?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just a total noob with biking in general so I'm looking for all the information I can get.

It possibly could just be best to get all I can out of this bike and then buy a better bike in the future but I'm just trying to weigh my options.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
It possibly could just be best to get all I can out of this bike and then buy a better bike in the future.....

Thanks!
This is most likely your best option.

Check to see if your hubs will accept disc brake rotors (usually 6 bolts on the non-drive side of the hub) and if your frame has mounting tabs for disc brake calipers. If yes, then all you would need would be the disc brake calipers and rotors (+levers if hydro). If no then you would need to get wheels with disc brake compatible hubs plus fork & frame, which obviously is not cost effective.

G

·
It looks like the Frame has Disc mounts on the rear triangle (from the Giant website) but it does not appear that the hubs are disc compatible. J.B. makes a good point about the conversion, by the time you replace the wheels, buy disc brakes and a new fork your cost will exceed the value of the bike new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like the Frame has Disc mounts on the rear triangle (from the Giant website) but it does not appear that the hubs are disc compatible. J.B. makes a good point about the conversion, by the time you replace the wheels, buy disc brakes and a new fork your cost will exceed the value of the bike new.
Yeah that's a good point. I think I'll just go ahead and hone my skills on this bike and get what I can out of it and then move to something better next year if i'm ready. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts