Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm picking up a Specialized Stumpjumper ST Expert 29 this week and one thing I was wondering is if it was possible to increase the rear travel using the stock shock and shock extension, i.e. not turning it into a regular/LT Stumpjumper.

Looking at the specs the ST Expert 29 uses a 190mm x 42.5mm Rockshox Deluxe shock and the 27.5 version uses a 190mm x 45mm shock.

What I am wondering is if bother bikes have the same shock, but the 29 has a simple 2.5mm stroke reducing spacer on the inside that can be easily removed.

Anyone know if this the case? If so anyone know if this can be successfully done without any contact to the frame/shock extension/shock throughout the last 2.5mm of shock stroke?

Looks like the extra 2.5mm of shock stroke would give about an extra 7mm of rear travel bringing it up to 127mm or an even 5 inches which would nicely balance with the 130mm up front.

Cheers,
mmckechnie

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes there is a 2.5mm Spacer inside. Don‘t know about the clearance though, but that is easily checked. Just let the air out and cycle through. You will see if there is enough clearance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

I'm picking up a Specialized Stumpjumper ST Expert 29 this week and one thing I was wondering is if it was possible to increase the rear travel using the stock shock and shock extension, i.e. not turning it into a regular/LT Stumpjumper.

Looking at the specs the ST Expert 29 uses a 190mm x 42.5mm Rockshox Deluxe shock and the 27.5 version uses a 190mm x 45mm shock.

What I am wondering is if bother bikes have the same shock, but the 29 has a simple 2.5mm stroke reducing spacer on the inside that can be easily removed.

Anyone know if this the case? If so anyone know if this can be successfully done without any contact to the frame/shock extension/shock throughout the last 2.5mm of shock stroke?

Looks like the extra 2.5mm of shock stroke would give about an extra 7mm of rear travel bringing it up to 127mm or an even 5 inches which would nicely balance with the 130mm up front.

Cheers,
mmckechnie

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Have you found out if it´s doable? If so, what did you need to do to get rid of the spacer? I am actually planning on doing the exact same thing as well as bumping my fork up to 140 mm of travel. I guess that would be a perfect sweetspot for me.

Greetings

Bruno

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.