Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a nice set of Arch rims built on Hope hubs, and am thinking of buying a new full suspension Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er, and taking as many of the parts I can use from my hardtail to upgrade the Specialized. Trouble is, the new 2012 Stumpies are using the 142x12 rear thru axle setup.

If it's possible to use my existing wheelset, it's no big deal, but if I need to invest in a whole new wheel, I'll either keep what's stock on the Stumpy, not my favorite option as I'd like to keep the Arches, or see if I can track down a 2011 Expert 29er, that has the brain.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes Hope makes a conversion 142 x 12. For the Pro 2 hub the mfg part # is HUB231 and it sells for around $45-50. It it's a Pro 2 EVO the part # is different I believe.

Also, not totally sure on this but the Specialized 142 x 12 I believe is different. It's called 142+ and I don't know if the Hope conversion would work. Might ask a Specialized dealer to make sure.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
OP - Call Hope USA and get the right part numbers. Easy as pie. :thumbsup:

Specialized's 142+ refers to hub flange spacing; the frame interface is identical. Nothing to worry about, you'll just need to adjust your rear d. for the new wheelset.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. I dropped Hope an email just a few minutes ago asking if it was possible, and what the number of the part or kit I would need.

Still might see if I can track down a 2011 expert with the brain, but those were scarce when new and stock was plentiful, I doubt I'd find one now short of visiting every Spec dealer within a thousand miles.

Not sure if I really want the brain anyway, just another thing to go wrong. I test rode a Comp 29er last fall and even with Propedal off, pedalling standing around a parking lot wasn't really all that bouncy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.