Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just picked up my Wahoo Disc from a local bike shop and love it. Bought it new for $480 with alloy pedals thrown in and a water bottle holder.

Had no problems at all, like the size (19) and the feel of the brakes. There was a frictioney hissing sound coming from the front disc brake and asked the shop owner. His response was that new discs often have to be worn in and will eventually stop making this sound. Second problem I didn't find until I cruised around town. On the top swing there are 2 screws that are rising a little(see the pics). My issue with tightening them immediately is that I know often screws are used to adjust things and I thought that maybe they were high for a reason.

My questions are:
1. Is the disc friction normal?
and
2. Should the screws be high like that or should I adjust them?

This is the Wahoooo

Are these supposed to be this high??

This is where the piece is that has the screws high

Thanks for any response

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
The screws are for adjustment. do not move them if the bike is changing gears fine.

If you are curious about the screws, this article should help describe what they do.

http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

They "limit" how far the derailleur cage pushes and pulls the chain.

Again, it is not likely you will need to move them.

Disc brakes do need time to break in. As long as there is not too much drag, continue to ride it as is for a while. If the sound continues when riding along straight, they may need a minor adjustment.

·
Registered
934 Posts
This exact thing happened to me when I picked up my Specialized FSRxc! I didn't like that brake noise from the front and the asked the tech to look at it. He told me the same thing, but it was louder than he would like also. Then after a couple adjustments, the noise was gone! I've only been on a couple of rides, but the sound has not returned and the Avid BB5 is performing wonderfully.

As for the funky two screws, when I saw them, I used my fingers to see if they were loose. They seemed very tight and are popped up for a reason, so I left it alone.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Disc brakes should not drag

It sounds like the disc brakes need some adjustment. I dunno what kind of disc brakes those are, but it sounds like the pads need a tad of adjustment. Usually on cable disc brakes, there is some kind of knob or allen screw on each side of the caliper. Have the wrench at the shop show you how to adjust this, becasue you will likely need to make this adjustment fairly often. The wrench will prolly show you, because he won't want to tweak on your brakes for simple stuff like this.

Also check to be sure your brake disk is true. Often, it gets bumped and warped. This is another easy fix. Take a crescent wrench and tweak the high spot back towards center.

Check the Park Tool site on how to do this

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=125

Instead of all the special tools, I just use a crescent wrench and my eyeballs with the wheel in my fork or frame. A flashlight is helpful to see the gap in the brake capiper.

These are all easy adjustments that you should learn to do and get comfortable with.

Alcahol won't do anything to cure a rubbing brake. You use alcahol on your rotors and pads when you accidently get lube on the brakes. When your brakes get fouled with oils of any kind, they loose some stopping power and howl like crazy. When lubing your chain, be super careful you don't drip or spray any near your brakes. Sometimes, I drape a clean rag between what I am doing and the brakes so I don't get any overspay on the rotors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.