Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is very possible I may be accepting a job in Ogden, UT here shortly and long story short, I plan to keep my residence in Missouri and live in a hotel during the work week and every 2nd or 3rd weekend be flying back to Missouri for the weekend and coming back.

It's a long story but the short and sweet is I will be living the cheap, hermit life in Ogden so figure hotel would be the best best since I would have all the utilities and probably internet as well as part of the room - probably looking at something with a weekly rate or rate where it could be as affordable as possible.

Obviously, the hotel would have to be bike friendly as I would have 2 bikes minimum (my commuter bike and MTB).

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
As someone who lived that life for 9 months I'd say that you should make sure that what you get has a little kitchen in it. Eating out all the time sucks and it's expensive. My company was footing the bill at a Residence inn so cost wasn't a concern of mine.

Is this a long term thing? I think you'll find that renting an apartment might be more cost effective than weekly rates at a hotel. Of course, a rental comes with a minimum of a 6 month commitment. You miss out on room cleaning service but you gain the ability to actually live while you're in UT instead of just existing in a room. During my 9 months in the hotel (with about 30 other people from my company) almost all of us agreed that we wished the company had just rented out some apartments for us. Consider that at $600/mo that's $150/wk, I'm not familiar with extended stay weekly rates but it can't be too far off of the price to just have a place of your own.

Quick look reveals:
Value Place out in West Haven, $200/wk: Extended Stay Ogden, UT - West Haven, Value Place - extended stay hotels and apartments.

I have a friend in West Haven but if it were me I'd want to be closer to downtown or closer to the mountains.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen a value place I believe it was $199 per week. I would have to check with apartments and see if the rent + utilities make it any cheaper. Nice thing about hotels is everything is included in the price so don't have to worry about utilities. I also work for the government so have to check on government rates.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I have seen a value place I believe it was $199 per week. I would have to check with apartments and see if the rent + utilities make it any cheaper. Nice thing about hotels is everything is included in the price so don't have to worry about utilities. I also work for the government so have to check on government rates.
Yeah, but living in a hotel room is a pretty grim way to go. Of course, your mileage may vary.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but living in a hotel room is a pretty grim way to go. Of course, your mileage may vary.
I hear you...Apartments would be nicer living.. I am not sure how long I will be in Utah - could be a few months to a few years - Moving up to a GS12 and have to work there at least one year before could start looking at GS13's anywhere around the country. Looking at retirement 9 - 14 years from now so trying to get the fattest check I can get before that time comes... :D

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I hear you...Apartments would be nicer living.. I am not sure how long I will be in Utah - could be a few months to a few years - Moving up to a GS12 and have to work there at least one year before could start looking at GS13's anywhere around the country. Looking at retirement 9 - 14 years from now so trying to get the fattest check I can get before that time comes... :D
Be careful, so many of us didn't know how long we'd be in Utah. I'm on 10 years of didn't know how long I'd be in Utah.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be careful, so many of us didn't know how long we'd be in Utah. I'm on 10 years of didn't know how long I'd be in Utah.

I fully understand...plus being close to Moab, Fruita, and trails in the SLC area I haven't ridden yet...I can see my bike and me being pretty happy! :D

·
MTBR member
798 Posts
Are you DOD, IRS, or USFS? I live in Ogden and am also civil service (HAFB). There are places to rent on the bench in Ogden (above Harrison Blvd) if you know where to look. Downtown is also an option. I also work with the local trails organization (see my sig). Let me know if you have any questions Cheers!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Utah News, Sports, Weather and Classifieds | KSL.com is a great place to look in the classifieds for housing and pretty much anything else you would need. Ogden is an awesome place to live and I feel like its very under rated. There is a university near the mountains which has a lot of good apartments for rent all the time for pretty cheap, not to mention trail access within five minutes. My wife and I just bought a house but previously had a basement apartment for $500 utilities included which had a garage, 2 bedrooms, huge kitchen and anything else you would need. Much better then the weekly hotel rates and you can find many places to live that are close enough to just ride from your house to the trails. I love it here and the community involvement with outdoor rec is growing like crazy thanks to people like wookie.
Good luck and happy trails.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you DOD, IRS, or USFS? I live in Ogden and am also civil service (HAFB). There are places to rent on the bench in Ogden (above Harrison Blvd) if you know where to look. Downtown is also an option. I also work with the local trails organization (see my sig). Let me know if you have any questions Cheers!
I will be with the IRS -- don't worry I work on computers so won't be after your money... LOL.

Look forward to meeting trail crew and seeing the trail action in the area.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Utah News, Sports, Weather and Classifieds | KSL.com is a great place to look in the classifieds for housing and pretty much anything else you would need. Ogden is an awesome place to live and I feel like its very under rated. There is a university near the mountains which has a lot of good apartments for rent all the time for pretty cheap, not to mention trail access within five minutes. My wife and I just bought a house but previously had a basement apartment for $500 utilities included which had a garage, 2 bedrooms, huge kitchen and anything else you would need. Much better then the weekly hotel rates and you can find many places to live that are close enough to just ride from your house to the trails. I love it here and the community involvement with outdoor rec is growing like crazy thanks to people like wookie.
Good luck and happy trails.
Thanks for the heads up - I will definitely check out the leads...anything I can do so save money I am going to be on it.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like my anticipated start date is May 19th... what would be the recommended weeknight trail close to Ogden? I am an intermediate level rider.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looks like my anticipated start date is May 19th... what would be the recommended weeknight trail close to Ogden? I am an intermediate level rider.
Snowbasin is just a few miles up Ogden Canyon and has a great network of trails. The lower mountain is usually melted by Memorial Day. I'll bet you're going to love the trails around Snowbasin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ogden's Bonneville Shoreline Trail is always a great trail. The pros are it's consistency and milage/difficulty options (with the addition of the North Ogden BST section, it's possible to do a 40 mile out and back). The only con, in my option, is traffic - depending on day/time. It is a great quick before/after work ride.

Snowbasin area trails are also great but they don't get really good until later summer - when the horse damage finally breaks down and smooths out. Also avoid Snowbasin when wet - high clay content. BST on the other hand drains quick and is awesome shortly after a good rain.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the trail info. Sure is alot of work trying to find a good apartment Found a one bedroom for $375 but they won't allow you to apply out of state, have to be in person and then they want you to wait 2 days before move-in... Found one for $450 but it's a studio and would prefer a 1 bedroom since it will be me and 3 bikes - need room for the bikes.

Anyone have any apartment suggestions? I am still supporting a house in Missouri so have to be on the cheap side.

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
Thanks for the trail info. Sure is alot of work trying to find a good apartment Found a one bedroom for $375 but they won't allow you to apply out of state, have to be in person and then they want you to wait 2 days before move-in... Found one for $450 but it's a studio and would prefer a 1 bedroom since it will be me and 3 bikes - need room for the bikes.

Anyone have any apartment suggestions? I am still supporting a house in Missouri so have to be on the cheap side.
You here yet?

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You here yet?
Should be arriving the 12th or 13th of May, the job I am going to had been dragging their feet with the paperwork. Finally got my final job offer yesterday afternoon...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts