Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Devils Child
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.
i think i have some sort of issue and cant seem to figure it out.
when i pull up on my bars, IE: to lift front wheel up kerbs etc etc its seems as if my whole stem/forks are moving, its hard for me to explain so i hope you get the idea.

everything seems to be tightened and secure.
forks are Suntour XCM and headset is FSA.

have you guys and gals got any ideas as to what my issues could be, its driving me crazy

regards
Mick

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth.. Is there play in the headset?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
parktool.com has a good article on threadless headset adjustment.

There are a couple things that can make it harder - if your stem is tight on your steer tube, you won't be able to adjust your headset. And if your spacer stack is too short relative to your steer tube, you'll bottom out your headset before you get the system tight enough.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you've taken it apart recently, you could also check and make sure that the compression ring is seated properly. Some headsets come with a plastic compression ring and those can also wear after time.

·
Devils Child
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx all.
and when i hold the brake and rock it, headset dont seem to move but looks like there is some play in the fork stantions. im getting like clicking sounds when i rock it.

·
Devils Child
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my bike is around 7/8 months old.
i have done no serious riding, all in total so far according to my gps i have done around 900miles since i have purchased it.

what do you suggest i do next

·
Registered
161 Posts
my bike is around 7/8 months old.
i have done no serious riding, all in total so far according to my gps i have done around 900miles since i have purchased it.

what do you suggest i do next
Try loosening up the bolts on your stem, tighten the stem cap bolt, then re-tighten the bolts on your stem. You must tighten the stem cap bolt before tightening the bolts that clamp the stem to the steerer-tube of the fork.

·
Devils Child
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i have loosened the bolts on stem, stem cap bolt was already tight but in loosened all the bolts, removed forks and replaced everything.
all seems ok with the stem until i rock it. again def looks like it could be the forks.
but when i removed them and checked them over they also seem fine.
could it be the disc brake making the clicking sound when i hold brake and rock it.
for general riding its fine its only when i lift the front wheel with a pull on the bars that it feels funny as in loose somewhere like something is moving.

and to answer your comment [email protected]
thanx for the advice but i ordered my bike from halfords, the bike had to be ordered into them as i didn't like the range they had.
and to be honest im not sure they even no what they are doing, as when i 1st got it everything seemed odd about it.
seems as if halfords cant tighten bolts properly or even know hot to setup and bike to be ridden out of the shop.
i feel alot safer doing this stuff myself.

im not a total noob when its comes to biking and maintainability but thought i would post it in the Beginner's Corner section as there are many people with better knowledge than myself.

regards

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Most disc brake calipers have a little play between the caliper and the pads. When the pads are squeezed around the rotor, they'll move with the rotor as far as the caliper allows. It's typically not very far and in most braking, the pads will be stopped by one of the surfaces in the caliper, so have nowhere to go. But there is play in the interface. Kind of annoying because it makes threadless headset setup harder.

I'm not in the UK, but my understanding is that Halfords is a general sporting goods store, not really a bike shop. You might have better luck at a bike shop.

Also, the bolt on the stem cap isn't really supposed to be tight to any particular torque or tension. It's a little more of a tune-by-feel aspect. It needs to be tight enough to get rid of free play in the headset and no tighter. The system is locked together when the bolts on the stem are tightened. So you'd leave them loose (preferably a lot loose, IME) to adjust the headset, then lock them once it's good. Sometimes that'll mess up the adjustment, which is annoying, but I find usually I don't have to touch it again.

Try rocking the fork lowers to the side, by hand. It helps if the bike is in a work stand, but you can figure out something. That eliminates the brakes as a possibility. If you look at the visible parts of the headset, you should get some insight into whether that's moving or not.

I had a problem I just couldn't figure out with my headset a while ago; turned out I didn't have enough of a spacer stack. The gap between my uppermost spacer and my steer tube looked big enough with no tension on the headset, but it compressed enough to land the top cap on the steer tube when I started tensioning that bolt. So headset problems are occasionally a little tricky.

·
Devils Child
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanx for the reply all.
@ Andrw
i have just tightened the stem cap enough to stop it moving and nothing more.
then tightened the bolts around the tube.

i have also tried to rock the forks from side to side and they and the headset seem fine, no movement that i can see.

what i have also figured out with messing with it most of the day, is that i do have a remote lockout on the forks. when this lockout is on i get the problem but when its off its seems to be ok.
now my idea is that its possible that when the lockout is on, my fork probably goes down a few mm. so when i pull on my bars to lift the front end then the fork are coming back into the normal position and making the sounds and clicking noise im hearing.
is this a possibilty

thanx
Mick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts