Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am looking at maybe tagging along on a Fruita trip in a few months. The first problem I have is I am not in shape like I would like to be. I didn't ride much last year and need to get something started soon.

What is the thought on taking my SS for the trip?? I have some concerns about riding it on a few of the trails. I know that a few on here ride fully rigid out there, but for a person that has never been there would I be crazy?? I think I would at least put the shock back on front.

My goal would be to take both bikes, but not sure I have room. I think I might want more than my SS for the rim.

Any input would be helpful

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
A trip to fruita with a SS could be pretty sweet... I'm sure it would be easy to do the bookcliffs with a SS... The singletrack is so buffed that it won't be hard...

Kokopellis also are doable... I wouldn't climb Lion's loop with a SS... It was painful enough at the end of our ride there... There is lots of elevation but climbing on easier trail is doable...

I'd be concern about the riding in GJ at the Lunch Loops... There is lots of vertical gain there... Climbing is pretty rough... I don't think i would enjoy climbing all the way to the Ribbon with a SS! In fact, i would just stay down at the playground!

I haven't been to Rabbit Valley... don't know the trails there...

Hope this helps!

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
BigJay said:
A trip to fruita with a SS could be pretty sweet... I'm sure it would be easy to do the bookcliffs with a SS... The singletrack is so buffed that it won't be hard...

Kokopellis also are doable... I wouldn't climb Lion's loop with a SS... It was painful enough at the end of our ride there... There is lots of elevation but climbing on easier trail is doable...

I'd be concern about the riding in GJ at the Lunch Loops... There is lots of vertical gain there... Climbing is pretty rough... I don't think i would enjoy climbing all the way to the Ribbon with a SS! In fact, i would just stay down at the playground!

I haven't been to Rabbit Valley... don't know the trails there...

Hope this helps!
I have ridden my ss in Fruita for a couple years now. I would agree with much of what is stated above, but I wouldn't worry so much about the Kokopelli Loops. Rabbit Valley is fantastic on a ss, depending on the trails. I really like Western Rim (POS) and Zion Curtain in Rabbit Valley for the ss. Little known Little Wing is great, too (but maybe difficult if you don't have a local). The Tabaguache area in Grand Junction (AKA: Lunch Loop) is tough, but not impossible on ss, however, I find the reward for climbing is pretty good.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know all of the trails, but here are a few he has talked about doing while out that way. Sorry if I have some wrong.

Mary's
Porcupine
zippety do dah
more fun
shoots and ladders
edge loop
jones
lions
handcuffs
rustlers
horse thief
book cliffs
poison spider
slick rock

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
gatman said:
I don't know all of the trails, but here are a few he has talked about doing while out that way. Sorry if I have some wrong.

Mary's Kokopelli
Porcupine Moab
zippety do dah 18 Rd/Bookcliffs
more fun Moore Fun Kokopelli
shoots and ladders Chutes and Ladders 18 Rd/Bookcliffs
edge loop 18 Rd/Bookcliffs
jones ???
lions Kokopelli
handcuffs Kokopelli
rustlers Kokopelli
horse thief Kokopelli
book cliffs An area, not a trail
poison spider Moab
slick rock Moab
No mention of the GJ or Rabbit Valley stuff, a serious oversight.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I road most of that list last Sept. on a rigid 29er SS and they are all doable but tire choice is key. I ran 2.3 Exiwolfs but when I do it again I'll run a Wierwolf 2.5 on the front(now that it exists)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I went last year during the fftf and rode GJ, Rd18, Loma etc..ridged 29er ss with no problems.
Now my buddy, 50lbs overweight, suffered greatly (on same bike) but enjoyed himself!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.