Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let me preface this by saying that I'm not exactly Mr. Goodwrench with bikes. This is really the first nice bike I've ever had and these are the first mods I've ever done to one.

I recently just put a slew of parts on my 05 Rockhopper, and I'm almost done except for one thing. This could very well be a stupid thing I overlooked, but when I install the caliper carrier bracket, the rotor rubs on it. No matter what I do, it still hits it. What's the deal? Do I have the bracket on wrong? Is the frame off? I'm really at a loss. It looks as though this is the way it's supposed to go on, but it sure won't...

Here's some pics of what's going on...

Several people in the brake forum suggested that perhaps the frame is tweeked or the wheel/hub needs to be adjusted. Any other thoughts on why this is happening? Is this a common issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Type of brakes?

What brake model are you trying to use back there? Now that said information will cause me to immediately know the problem, but it could be useful to know what brand, model, and year, brake calipers you're trying to rig up.

Also, I was going to ask if the rubbing is constant or just in one spot on the disc but it looks fairly obviously that it's the former and not the latter.

Oh and what Rockhopper frame is that? Just a regular Rockhopper?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Take the bike and brakes into your LBS...

BillSPrestonEsq said:
OK, let me preface this by saying that I'm not exactly Mr. Goodwrench with bikes. This is really the first nice bike I've ever had and these are the first mods I've ever done to one.

I recently just put a slew of parts on my 05 Rockhopper, and I'm almost done except for one thing. This could very well be a stupid thing I overlooked, but when I install the caliper carrier bracket, the rotor rubs on it. No matter what I do, it still hits it. What's the deal? Do I have the bracket on wrong? Is the frame off? I'm really at a loss. It looks as though this is the way it's supposed to go on, but it sure won't...

Here's some pics of what's going on...

Several people in the brake forum suggested that perhaps the frame is tweeked or the wheel/hub needs to be adjusted. Any other thoughts on why this is happening? Is this a common issue?
It looks to me like the rear wheel may not be properly dished. One thing you may want to check though it may sound stupid. Are you installing the correct brake adapter back there? You know that the adapters for the front and rear are different and could case this problem. I very seriously doubt that your frame could be tweaked that badly, possible but unlikely. Anyway take it in to the an LBS and have it checked. I'm betting on imporper wheel dish.

Good Dirt

·
Live 2 Ride
6,184 Posts
I think you need to add a spacer on the rear axle on the non drive side. That way the frame will sit further apart from the rotor. A 2 or 3 mm spacer is all you need I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kona0197 said:
I think you need to add a spacer on the rear axle on the non drive side. That way the frame will sit further apart from the rotor. A 2 or 3 mm spacer is all you need I think.
I owe you a Coke, buddy. I grabbed a washer from my mystery chest of parts that happens to fit over the axle perfectly and spaces the frame away from the rotor just right. I can't believe how easy it was. Everything works perfectly now.

On a side note, I took it to the shop on Sat. and the jacka'ss told me that he needed ALL the parts (I brought the bracket and showed him how it wasn't fitting) to figure out what to do. I told him to just use the front caliper (these are Avid BB7s, BTW) to mock up the rear, but he told me they "weren't the same". They are exactly the same. I think he didn't want to do anything with it cause it was about 45 min. before they closed. Glad I don't have to deal with them now, though.

Thanks for all the input, guys. :)

·
Live 2 Ride
6,184 Posts
I run into that spacing problem all the time on a friends Kona. I'm glad I could help. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.