Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Possible First 29'er - Giant Anthem X 29er? Some questions...

3K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  gvs_nz 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm having a tough time at the moment choosing between the Anthem X1 (26") or the Giant Anthem X 29er.

I currently ride a 26 inch and have done so for 2 years, it's nothing worth mentioning and it's time I upgrade. I've just been using a demo Anthem 2011 X1 FS 26" for 3 weeks and I loved it, when I took it back to the bike shop last night, we started chatting and I got shown the Anthem X FS 29er. I've heard so many positive things about the 29 inch but my more traditional friends are still saying that I shouldn't even consider a 29'er. They are great riders and far above my ability and have been riding for 15 years (I'm 27 at present) and that's why I've got a concern.

I apologise, I know this has been done to death, but I've read all the reviews, advice, comparisons of 26 vs 29 etc but the main reasons I'm being told to not get the 26 are the following:

• Sluggish, not good with technical stuff on single track? ie small technical sections
  • "Big" hit on acceleration on an uphill\
  • Current a fad, a "bit of a marketing thing" (fyi after my research I know this is far from the truth)

The type of riding I do is cross country, but on a Saturday we mostly spend a few hours just doing singletrack. There are a couple of rock gardens, technical sections, drops, obstaces(trees to get over, rocks etc).

I've also been told you can't whip and move the 29er much underneath you to get down technical(or flowing) single track at speed.

HELP! I need and want to buy one soon!

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
I've also been told you can't whip and move the 29er much underneath you to get down technical(or flowing) single track at speed.

It took the industry nearly a decade to get 29er's right. Gary Fisher didn't perfect their designs until the 2010 model year. I wouldn't have even considered a 2009 GF 29er unless it was selling for a signficant discount.

Giant on the other hand got it right the first with their full suspensio 29er. I own the XTC 29er1 while it's a good bike it has its flaws. I also own an Anthem X 29er. The Anthem X 29er on the other hand was designed insanely well.

The first time I took the Anthem X 29er off road I hit some rock gardens that were absolutely hell in on my Dahon Fuego,although I have to admit the shock was underflated at 50psi. Those rock gardens felt like nothing on my Anthem X 29er. Then I saw a nice 3 foot drop and thought "why not let's see what happens." Absolutely nothing happened after dropping 3 feet into a rock, it was an unreal sensation.

The Anthem X 29er is very fast through the single track,I can easily keep up with my friends through the twists and turns. The Anthem X 29er's low speed manuverability is pretty good but once you get some velocity the bike is insane.

I was at Turnbull last weekend and we managed to get to a sand rocky area of the track. I was warned by another rider(who ended up walking down) that the imediate area was simply too technical and slippery. This area was literally was rock and fine dirt. I rode down on the Anthem X 29er and it was nothing.

With the big wheels and a set of decent four piston caliper brakes riding the Anthem X 29er down fast technical terrain is just a matter of pointing and aiming the bike wherever you want to go.

Honestly your friends are going eat their words so badly when you burn them on the high speed downhill runs.

#6 ·
I have owned many anthem 26er's & have ridden a couple of Anthem x29er's & the 29er is a far better bike IMHO.

The Anthem X29 is far from being the best 29er FS bike out there but is very good bang for your buck & if that is about the top dollar you can spend then go for it I'm sure you will be happy.

The Anthem X29 does most things well & is fast.

Now is a good time to be honest with your self on how much you can afford to spend so you know if you are buying the best bike for you.

#7 ·
Hi, thanks for all the great responses, never expected so much great feedback.

Both bikes are within my budget, and here in Australia the Giant Anthem X FS 29er is actually a few $100 cheaper than the 26.

When you go through technical downhills on singletrack, I'm usually out of the saddle, is it the same on a 29er? I've tried to get a demo model, but no stores are budging for the 29er's at present.

#8 ·
The 29er will be a little better climbing but so much better on the way down,A lot less feeling of going over the bars

You will feel more like you are climbing on the Anthem X & coming back down on the Trance X IMO

You won't stand up as much but you will still do it.

#9 ·
I have ridden both and I think by them saying you shouldn't even consider a 29er that the possibility exists that your friends may be a tad insecure about their own choices.

I think you should demo an Anthem X 29er if possible, and then decide for yourself. Maybe the 26" Anthem X is your cup of tea, but why not at least try one and see if the hoopla is all hype?
=========================
"the main reasons I'm being told to not get the 26 are the following:

- Sluggish, not good with technical stuff on single track? ie small technical sections

- "Big" hit on acceleration on an uphill\

- Current a fad, a "bit of a marketing thing" (fyi after my research I know this is far from the truth) "
=========================
I don't care to insult your friends, and I sincerely mean this in the nicest way possible: When they make comments like the above, I think it's possible that when your friends burp that you may be able to detect the faint odor of bovine fecal matter :p

If you're riding an area where an (26") Anthem X is a good choice for the "technical stuff", I think that an Anthem X 29er would likely perform better.

I would also say that the "big hit on acceleration" comment is an exaggeration. I can feel it momentarily, and then I feel the benefits of the big wheels as they roll up & over, down & over things so much easier. It took a couple weeks to adjust to the different gearing range the larger circumference wheels present.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to climb steeper hills like I could with the low gearing and smaller wheels. Well, I guess it is true that I don't cllimb them in the same way I did for years. I climb them better and I am faster.

Yes, companies are hopping aboard the bandwagon to make money while the sun shines. Just the same way they did with 26" wheeled mountain bikes. But, whether it's a (another) marketing fad or not is immaterial. What is important is whether or not it works for you.

I know what I would do, but I'm not going to tell you to buy a 29er. I just think you owe it to yourself to trust yourself to feel like you can tell the difference for yourself, and then let nature take it's natural course. Get what works for you.

#10 ·
When you go through technical downhills on singletrack, I'm usually out of the saddle, is it the same on a 29er? I've tried to get a demo model, but no stores are budging for the 29er's at present.

Unless I am riding in some crazy terrain most of the time I'm in the saddle. The Anthem X 29er has a very wide performance envelope. Once you ride this thing down the rockgardens and through fine dirt/sand you'll be suprised at how much this bike can handle.

The bike's only significant drawback is its braking power, the Anthem X 29er is capable of handling far more than the stock brakes will allow. I ended up switching out the Elixir 3's for Shimano Saints although I think a set of Avid Code R's would probably suffice.

#11 ·
Done. 29er, will post photos of it tomorrow once I've got it. I've heard enough.

I think some of my mates that have been giving me these comments are former Downhill riders/racers. The one, and most vocal, of the lot, actually represented australia about a 15 years ago (this was pre front suspension let alone full).

Ok, from what I've read here. Those rocks, roots etc that I have to get my front wheel over (usually having to lift the front wheel up) shouldn't be a problem. The acceleration on the uphill is overrated insignificant, the technical stuff really won't be as tough as it's made out to be.

Can't wait to get this bike!

#12 ·
The biggest difference you will find in AX29er favor is cornering speed and speed over multiple brake bumps on the downhills. The 29er wheel provides much more cornering grip and is much less twitchy in the loose than the 26" wheel. You will find after a while the more stable feel is normal until you go back to riding the 26er. The 26er will then feel very lithe and agile and flickable. Come the first corner or rough downhill and you will miss the 29er. I've got an AX1 29er and 26" bikes. I'm addicted to the cornering ability of the 29er but still love the flickability of the 26er. That's why I still have both. I've recently added 650b front wheels to some of my 26ers and you get very close to 29er cornering grip but don't loose too much of the flickability. I don't think I will ever go back to 26" front wheel because I like the grip so much.

If you want to quicken the steering on the AX just put a shorter stem on.

#16 ·
I used to ride a gary fisher tassajara and without even trying a 29'er i bought a norco jubei 2. From reading on this forum, i wanted to try something new and the 29 seemed to be a good choice. And i haven't regretted my choice so far. I was on a single track this week, lot's of corners, drops, roots and the going was a charm. We were 15 riders in all and i was the only 29'er and i did the whole ride same as the 26' er. I'm an average biker and had no problem whatsoever. Try out a 29'er beforehand and make your own judgement after that...

#18 ·
I can't begin to tell you how many people I know that bought a 29'er and shortly thereafter, their 26" bike either was sold off, or sits in the garage gathering dust. JeffJ is in this camp... his Giant Reign just sits and gathers dust now,and has for the past 2 years. His replacement bike? A 29'er hardtail Acess XCL100. Believe me when I tell you he can haul the mail going downhill on single track in his local backyard riding area.

I won't spend my money until I demo a bike. It's important to do so. Understand that on the demo, it will be easier coming downhill to get in trouble faster, a 29'er is at first deceiving coming into the corners. There will be some adaptation in how you ride and climb in the first couple of weeks. As you ride it more, you'll find the limits and push them, and end up being quite surprised.

#20 ·
I've got a 29er hardtail and an AX29er and many other 26ers. The 29er gives more confidence and has more grip, but there's no way my 29er hard tail is as comfortable or as fast on rough terrain as a 120" FS 26er. The AX 29er is, and it uses the same fork as the hard tail. Rear end cush makes a huge difference if you have rough terrain.
JeffJ may have been over biked for the local terrain .The Reign has AM wheelbase and angles which may be the difference in tight singletrack.

#24 ·
I had two 26" bikes at the time I first rode a 29er that was actually my size. One was a Kona hardtail with a 100mm fork that I had built just a year earlier, and the other the Giant Reign. They both were around the same speed descending the local terrain, with an edge to the Reign, so I can't really feel like it was the HTA or W/B that is so different (the Reign has 1/2" longer W/B than the 29er HT). If I am being honest, I really did not want to like the big wheels and I was hoping to find that they were all the negative things I had heard about. I had just recently finished building my latest 26" HT that I liked a lot and planned to ride it for several years.

I have since ridden several 29er on the local trails, and the results are pretty consistent with small differences between different bikes, but nothing close to the difference between 26" and 29" wheels FOR ME. The difference 29" wheels made for me wasn't subtle. It was dramatic. That said, the fact that I am 6'5" may have some bearing on how much difference larger wheels can make.

Whatever it is, I can't say with any certainty. I am but one anectdotal data point in the whole discussion. I would just say that if you have the time, opportunity and inclination, you should give it a try. It's great to have choices. If you don't like the big wheels, it's no skin removed from my undercarriage, but if someone asks, I'll give my take on the situation.

=================

Regarding the kool-aid reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

It is a term that was used often here on MTBR in times past (and sometimes recently) to describe the 29er 'zealots' and evangelists that want the masses to make the shift to larger wheels. Probably used the term disparagingly a few times myself.

#25 ·
Well people! it's official, I bought it on Saturday and I did my first offroad riding tonight, did the first night riding I've done in years.

I.... LOVED.... IT!

The difference between the 26 and the 29 for me wasn't small, it's revolutionary. I was nailing things with complete ease that I struggled with in the past. Flowing with such little effort through technical areas.

My first impression was "wow... feels like I'm going to go over the handle bars", but that disappeared very quickly. I've also noticed that back wheel skids around under me on some turns, not sure if that's just me getting used to the Full Suspension 29er or what, but I am absolutely loving this bike. The night riding was great, climbing excellent, downhill technical stuff is absolutely fine. Honestly, I find it just as nimble and easy to maneuver as any 26er.

I'm not up to 10 posts yet, so I can't post a pic of it, but I will!

Thanks for all the BRILLIANT advice!

#26 ·
Well people! it's official, I bought it on Saturday and I did my first offroad riding tonight, did the first night riding I've done in years.

I.... LOVED.... IT!

The difference between the 26 and the 29 for me wasn't small, it's revolutionary. I was nailing things with complete ease that I struggled with in the past. Flowing with such little effort through technical areas.

My first impression was "wow... feels like I'm going to go over the handle bars", but that disappeared very quickly. I've also noticed that back wheel skids around under me on some turns, not sure if that's just me getting used to the Full Suspension 29er or what, but I am absolutely loving this bike. The night riding was great, climbing excellent, downhill technical stuff is absolutely fine. Honestly, I find it just as nimble and easy to maneuver as any 26er.

I'm not up to 10 posts yet, so I can't post a pic of it, but I will!

Thanks for all the BRILLIANT advice!
I don't like the tyres they come with,put something like Ikon's on it & i'm sure you will like it even more.

#29 ·
I recently bought the Anthem 3 x29er. I love it. I came from a Rockhopper Hardtail, so the whole bike is a huge upgrade for me. I am 6'2 - and opted for the L frame. I think it fits perfectly. The thing nails uphills and steep rock gardens like nothing. It is also fast as hell on downhills. I am still learning about the bike and am trying to get used to its style. BUT -I love it. One thing though - When I was setting the sag on the Rock Shoks - the bike shop over silled. So, Now I need the damn things rebuilt!! Be careful of thst!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.