Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have two nice mountain bikes sitting in my garage which is one too many, both a carbon felt 26 inch, one is the Edict full suspension and the other is a 6 hard tail. I had planned to just sell the hard tail, but after riding both I'm kind of vexed. I feel like the Edict is slower steering and it clearly weighs a few pounds more, but it allows me to ride with less fatigue over rooty terrain. I only do the longer events a couple times a year and generally do xc races of 2 hours or less and train 2 hours in the woods on a typical day.

I have this subjective feeling that the quicker handling of the hard tail makes me faster, but maybe it's all smoke. I am planning to do a little testing today and ride both for a training loop and compare how they go.

Our terrain is rooty, somewhat rocky and had hills but not extended climbs.

Any perspectives from people who have made the switch? I may have trouble with change and that's what gets in my way sometimes.

·
Registered
846 Posts
There are top riders who use FS in world cup xc racing so its not like it's going to hold you back. The extra comfort and less fatigue will make a big difference day to day and I think a 2 hour race is long enough for there to be a difference if your course is rough or technical.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i rode a familiar 30 minute loops with a lot of rooty singletrack today with the hard tail then swapped wheels and used the FS, for a 30 minute loop I ended up 2 mins faster on the FS. I did not feel as fast, but I sure felt less fatigue in my legs, I think I'll sell the hard tail.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
depends heavily on course.

very bumpy courses will favor the FS for sure. the 26" HT is a dying platform for all but the diminutive amongst us.

the Edict is a rad bike, i know the designer and have seen him do some seriously crazy stuff on that bike!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John,
Why don't you have a 29er?? Go see the boys in Buffalo and get yourself a new ride ;) those little wheels are for kids!
I have used one last year and still own a singlespeeder rigid I use for crappy weather, but I have not noticed a huge difference for the most part and high end 26 wheel bikes are fire sale priced now. I chose to go back to a 26 on purpose.

I think I'm sold on the rear suspension, I realized I was clipping trees on a loop I ride a lot because I was carrying more speed out of the rooty sections.

It's nice to train on the bike too, much less pounding on my middle age body.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,425 Posts
I have used one last year and still own a singlespeeder rigid I use for crappy weather, but I have not noticed a huge difference for the most part and high end 26 wheel bikes are fire sale priced now. I chose to go back to a 26 on purpose.

I think I'm sold on the rear suspension, I realized I was clipping trees on a loop I ride a lot because I was carrying more speed out of the rooty sections.

It's nice to train on the bike too, much less pounding on my middle age body.
I'm getting close to geezer territory (46yo) and can't ride a hardtail for extended periods without the back feeling it. My 26" fs race bike weighs 22lbs so I'm cool with that.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting close to geezer territory (46yo) and can't ride a hardtail for extended periods without the back feeling it. My 26" fs race bike weighs 22lbs so I'm cool with that.
22 pounds, wow that's light. The only thing I don't like so much about the edict is it seems to be a bit on the heavy side, in 21.5 inch frame it's hovering around 25. I need to look at where I can lighten it up a little I guess. It seems like any decent wheelset is around 1500 grams and a pair of tires is 1000, so I'm not sure where the low hanging fruit is. Perhaps my steel rail rolls saddle might have to go...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
22 pounds, wow that's light. The only thing I don't like so much about the edict is it seems to be a bit on the heavy side, in 21.5 inch frame it's hovering around 25. I need to look at where I can lighten it up a little I guess. It seems like any decent wheelset is around 1500 grams and a pair of tires is 1000, so I'm not sure where the low hanging fruit is. Perhaps my steel rail rolls saddle might have to go...
Edict can easily get down in the 22lbs range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts