Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cheated a bit and bought this light and it came with a 40deg lense.
It has 3xSeoul P4 and kicks out approx 720 lumens but the lense it came with gives it
basically one bloody great spot.
I then bought a replacement lense of 10degs which gives more throw and is obviously narrower.
My point is if the MC-E is very floody i wonder if the 40deg lense would tame the output
and not show the individual dies? there is also a bloody great heatsink on it that only gets slightly warm.
I am using the 40deg lense on my headlight and it is perfect as it has a very even spread of light in a big circle.
The lense,pcb and heatsink can all be purchased seperately from www.led-tech.de
It is an excellent site with loads of components/drivers etc.
The wall shot was taken about 3mtrs away just to show how even the beam is.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You have messed about with the MC-E alot Mr Trout do you think it would work with this
setup?
2100 lumens all bunched into a not too tight circle would be useful for a helmet light don't
ya think?

·
Homer
215 Posts
The heatsink might be adequate for 3 single die LEDs, putting 3 MC-E's in there will triple the heat load. I doubt it can handle that much heat.

Besides, 2100 lumen in one spot is pretty useless IMHO. With that much light you have more than enough to spare for some flood.

And I doubt the lense is going to work, if you can even fit the dome of the MC-E in.
I;d obt for a double MC/E barlight in conjunction with a single or double MC-E helmetlight.

That way you have the advantage of both (imagine running a triple MC-E through fog or rain and you have no way to dim it since it is madly bright, even at 50mA....

But: try it out and let us know how it went! If the optic doenst work you can always replace it with 3 LM1 or Booms.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Personally, the MC-E's colour is too yellow on it's own and the spot isn't defined enough but it's a great light all device just lacks punch.

Solution for helmet mounting I found is a MC-E and Cree R2 with a smooth optic on the R2 preferably for a seriously range punch, and raises the colour temperature nicely to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.