Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's the entry model of the line, but what a piece the stock rear shimano hub is. I think Spec could have done a bit better for the price.

Anyway, what to do about it ? With the wheel off the bike, I can feel the grinding in the bearings and a lot of resistance. With the wheel on the bike, at full speed it won't freewheel for more than 10 rotations and comes to an abrupt stop as if the brake is dragging (it's not.) Gotta think I'm wasting some energy fighting the hub.

Are the bearings serviceable, or do I need to go for a new hub ? Anyone done anything to address this ?

·
Registered
746 Posts
dsjc said:
I know it's the entry model of the line, but what a piece the stock rear shimano hub is. I think Spec could have done a bit better for the price.

Anyway, what to do about it ? With the wheel off the bike, I can feel the grinding in the bearings and a lot of resistance. With the wheel on the bike, at full speed it won't freewheel for more than 10 rotations and comes to an abrupt stop as if the brake is dragging (it's not.) Gotta think I'm wasting some energy fighting the hub.

Are the bearings serviceable, or do I need to go for a new hub ? Anyone done anything to address this ?
Hadley....hadley...hadley... hadley... need I say more?

While your at it go ahead and buy a set of DT 5.1s...

Just my 2 cents...

Hope to see you on the trails with a big :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
This is a Shimano problem, not really a Specialized problem. This hub and even the XT hubs require a fair bit of maintenance due to the loose bearing design of them. They definitly are not high quailty sealed bearing type hubs.

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does that mean the bearings are serviceable ? (I guess I could get off the computer and open the thing up and find out.) I like the look of the Hadley, but not really up for spending $3-400 now if not needed.

Maybe I'll open the hub up later, for now, it's off to SC to catch the morning cloud cover and some singletrack !

·
Registered
84 Posts
And I'll see your hub and raise you a bunch of [email protected] spokes and nipples.
A one year old bike and 2 nipples failed over 2 weekends.
I'm off to the alps soon so thought "best to change them out". 3 more nipples sheared at the shoulder when taking them all out. Standard guage spokes and alu nipples.
To be fair to Shimano (and Specialized), at least you can strip the hub and re-pack it with decent grease. Its not a bad hub altogether, but an 'all-mountain' (even the base model) bike should have had a slightly better spec wheel....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.