Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horrible POS Truvative Stylo GXP finally died. Thank GOD. No more stopping every 10 mins to tighten it up. But what should I replace it with? I am really not convinced by the whole outboard gestalt and I want something which is easy to service, has parts readily available, and is going to LAST. Basically XC, no hucking. Looking at Race Face Evolve XC (have it on another bike so nice to double up on spares) and the Shimano Hollowtech stuff. Comments?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Spend the money and go with the new 2007 XTR! I went from the Race Face Turbine LP to 2006 XTR Cranks and found a huge difference in stiffness but found that the chainrings on the 2006 960 XTR were made of butter and melted away quickly. I then went with the 2007 970 XTR and it is more stiff than the 2006 960 XTR. The 2007 is leaps and bounds over the XTR 960! Spend the money and you wont be sorry!!!

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
I know you don't want outboard bearings, but what about Shimano Hone crankset. Check out this if you wan't instructions for service.

:thumbsup:

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I managed to figure out how to grease the bearings -- it is pretty easy -- but contrary to what the thread says, the cartridges CAN get damaged. I scrunched my Truvativ in the first 150 miles.

Anyway I talked to the LBS and they are putting on XTs. At least it will be warrantied, which the Truvativ wasn't since it came from Pricepoint.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Go Evolve or Hollowtech

If you already have luck with the Evolve, get another one and stock up on BBs. I did the same thing with LX cranks. I have them on two bikes, and they take the same BB. Reliable, simple, and only need to keep 1 type of BB on hand.

Bob

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
the new outboard-bearing design IS stiff, but the older H-Tech (Octalink) will serve you well, too. i still have my old XT crank, and will mount it up next Jan. on my old frame for a cruiser (just needs rings & BB). feel ya on the truvativ cranks -- got a set OEM on a bike 4 years ago -- SCARED me when i saw arm flex before i even put any weight on it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.