Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cougar Bait
46 Posts
I'll respond here...

because I am not a member of RBR. (I only ride my road bike to get in shape for the trails...at least that's what I used to tell myself :rolleyes:)

I work in Sherwood (my office just moved from Tigard), and I live in Dayton. Before my daughter was born, I would ride from work to home along 99W to Dayton. I also have riden to Salem from Dayton, so I would be familiar with the whole route that direction.

From Tigard, 99W is pretty fast, with good tarmac. There are nice wide shoulders through Dundee. BTW...there is little else in the world more satisfying than blasting by the cars stuck in the Dundee/99W parking lot. Just west of Dundee, there is a stretch about 1/2 mile long that has limited shoulder room. It is where 99W is 4 lanes wide, so cars can get over. This was more of a concern for me riding into work, as 99 is travelled by mobile home carriers from McMinnville :eek:.

The next safety concern is the intersection of 18 and 99 (McDougal's Corner, the site of many a fatal car accident). This has been improved with a dedicated turning lane. The secret to negotiating this comfortably is to get into the right side of the left lane so that you are more visible to drivers making the turn onto 18. By the time they slow down for the turn, you would be going about the same speed. About a mile later, you cross the Yamhill River. There is not much shoulder on the bridge, so I just put my head down and motor to get over it as quick as possible.

OK...turn onto 221 through Dayton. 221 is 3rd Street in Dayton and becomes Wallace Road to Salem. Wallace Road has areas of some exposure...plus people can drive pretty fast. The good thing is that lots of people ride this road (Monster Cookie, Vine Ride...etc.). I would take Wallace to the Wheatland Ferry. Wallace into Salem is not bad, either (except for xing the River). Really depends on where you live in Salem. You can also take a nice country road called Webfoot Road (turn right at the flashing red in Dayton, then left just after the High School)...but it is chip sealed. Whatever you do, do not take Lafayette-Hopewell Highway. Beautifully smooth pavement, but...DEATH TRAP FOR CYCLISTS...scary as hell.

Good Luck. BTW...I just lost my riding partner to the mountains of Montana...if you are interesting in hooking up for a ride, let me know.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
endo32 said:
because I am not a member of RBR. (I only ride my road bike to get in shape for the trails...at least that's what I used to tell myself :rolleyes:)

I work in Sherwood (my office just moved from Tigard), and I live in Dayton. Before my daughter was born, I would ride from work to home along 99W to Dayton. I also have riden to Salem from Dayton, so I would be familiar with the whole route that direction.

From Tigard, 99W is pretty fast, with good tarmac. There are nice wide shoulders through Dundee. BTW...there is little else in the world more satisfying than blasting by the cars stuck in the Dundee/99W parking lot. Just west of Dundee, there is a stretch about 1/2 mile long that has limited shoulder room. It is where 99W is 4 lanes wide, so cars can get over. This was more of a concern for me riding into work, as 99 is travelled by mobile home carriers from McMinnville :eek:.

The next safety concern is the intersection of 18 and 99 (McDougal's Corner, the site of many a fatal car accident). This has been improved with a dedicated turning lane. The secret to negotiating this comfortably is to get into the right side of the left lane so that you are more visible to drivers making the turn onto 18. By the time they slow down for the turn, you would be going about the same speed. About a mile later, you cross the Yamhill River. There is not much shoulder on the bridge, so I just put my head down and motor to get over it as quick as possible.

OK...turn onto 221 through Dayton. 221 is 3rd Street in Dayton and becomes Wallace Road to Salem. Wallace Road has areas of some exposure...plus people can drive pretty fast. The good thing is that lots of people ride this road (Monster Cookie, Vine Ride...etc.). I would take Wallace to the Wheatland Ferry. Wallace into Salem is not bad, either (except for xing the River). Really depends on where you live in Salem. You can also take a nice country road called Webfoot Road (turn right at the flashing red in Dayton, then left just after the High School)...but it is chip sealed. Whatever you do, do not take Lafayette-Hopewell Highway. Beautifully smooth pavement, but...DEATH TRAP FOR CYCLISTS...scary as hell.

Good Luck. BTW...I just lost my riding partner to the mountains of Montana...if you are interesting in hooking up for a ride, let me know.
Nice read. My head is spinning from doing the mental mapping. :) So, Newberg to Dundee is not too bad? Good to know. Any idea on the mileage from Tigard to Wheatland Ferry, then into Salem by the Fairgrounds? I could mapquest each leg. He he he, lazy. I would like to ride sometime. We are riding boring paths tonight out at Forest Park if you are interested. As for a road ride, let me see what my schedule is like. Perhaps we could meet at the YMCA on 99W in Sherwood or something. Thanks!

Mike

·
Cougar Bait
46 Posts
Mileages

I know from the intersection of Durham and 99W in Tigard to my house in Dayton (right next to Wallace Road) is 21.3 miles. About 10 miles from my house to the Ferry. Don't know the rest.

Tonight not good. Besides, bombed Forest Park enough for one lifetime when I lived in PDX. Anyway, send me a PM if you want to ride. -Rob

Off topic: Are you the dude that saw the big kitty at Dallas? I saw one on the McMinnville trails a few years ago. Crossed about 10 yards in front of me. Don't know who was more scared, me or the cat. Sure gave me a great "second wind" for the rest of the climb.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
endo32 said:
I know from the intersection of Durham and 99W in Tigard to my house in Dayton (right next to Wallace Road) is 21.3 miles. About 10 miles from my house to the Ferry. Don't know the rest.

Tonight not good. Besides, bombed Forest Park enough for one lifetime when I lived in PDX. Anyway, send me a PM if you want to ride. -Rob

Off topic: Are you the dude that saw the big kitty at Dallas? I saw one on the McMinnville trails a few years ago. Crossed about 10 yards in front of me. Don't know who was more scared, me or the cat. Sure gave me a great "second wind" for the rest of the climb.
I meant to ask you about "Cougar Bait". 10 yds is too close for me. I was 100-ft away and soiled my shorts. I saw him twice, as they like to stalk :eek: I was "Cougar Chum" for awhile. Yep, I saw the kitty in Dallas. Have not been since then. Gave me a hell of a scare. I had record time to the car, tearing down, driving out.....chatted with a couple dudes on the way out, just as an FYI.

Forest Park is only for the mileage, and the post ride festivities ;)

With a 3 year old, my cycling days are usually limited to commuting and occasional weekends. This week has been ride central for me because I have a hall pass till tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers!

·
Cougar Bait
46 Posts
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me.

I have a 2-1/2 year old and a 7 year old. That's why I have become a reluctant roadie mixed in with the more than occasional...dare I say it...spin class :blush:.

When riding in cougar country, just think of it the same way as you would the big truck on the road ride: They're gonna hit you from behind, and you won't feel a thing.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
endo32 said:
That's why I have become a reluctant roadie mixed in with the more than occasional...dare I say it...spin class :blush:.
Amen, amen. Spin class is a good way to spend 45 min. At least you are getting your HR up. I was hitting spin 3 times a week. Better than nothing. I won't wear spandex there though :eek:

As for cougars, I'll take my chances on the road. I am afraid he/she would not do the job right and I would spend to much time incapacitated listening to crickets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.