Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as my user name suggests, no I am not from AZ. Heading down for (3) days next week, Thurs-Sat.

I'll be in PHX and would like to stick with my training plan, ideally off-road. Anybody have some suggestions on trails relatively close to PHX that I could get in a solid 20+ mile ride a couple days? Loop is fine, just as long as it's not a 2 mile loop done 10 times.. Riding a XC bike, technical stuff is fine but no drops/big jumps/DH/Freeride stuff.

If I can't get the MTB thing coordinated I'll, GASP, have to head out on the road bike. Open for suggestions for road rides also. Probably in the 40-50 mile range.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
As much as my user name suggests, no I am not from AZ. Heading down for (3) days next week, Thurs-Sat.

I'll be in PHX and would like to stick with my training plan, ideally off-road. Anybody have some suggestions on trails relatively close to PHX that I could get in a solid 20+ mile ride a couple days? Loop is fine, just as long as it's not a 2 mile loop done 10 times.. Riding a XC bike, technical stuff is fine but no drops/big jumps/DH/Freeride stuff.

If I can't get the MTB thing coordinated I'll, GASP, have to head out on the road bike. Open for suggestions for road rides also. Probably in the 40-50 mile range.

Thanks
What part of Phx will you be in? Lots of options for lots of miles. Thus - Sat are this week 13-16 or 21-23?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just noticed the sticky - looking through that now, probably a good place to start.

21-23rd.

Still open for suggestions though.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Do this and you will be begging for more.

http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=274489

The TH is 25 minutes from your hotel.

I would suggest Pima and Dynamite but that's under construction so stay away.

McDowell Preserve and Trail 100 is way too rocky for a roadie.

McDowell Mountain Park has nice easy trails but it's 40 minutes from where you are.

Black Canyon Trail may a bit scary for an out of towner.....not used to the locals and their "toys".

·
What gear are you running
1,607 Posts
You are going to be close to tons of great riding. McDowell Mountains, Sonoran Preserve North or Sonoran Preserve South and Cave Creek are all going to be within a 10 minute drive.

Here are a few I would suggest.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Staying just N of the 101 at Marriott Desert Ridge, FYI
So good options from there.

Sonoran Park - Zero technical stuff, but lots of climbing and fun trails. Trails are new and free of any rocks. Most common access points are from the West side and from the north at carefree hwy and 7ave. There might be route to there right out from the JW at Desert Ridge, but I don't know it. - Easy 20-30 mile ride
Norht and South Triple ride Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Sonoran Triple near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava
and
Sonorna North large loop Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Sonoran North - Quckie near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

McDowells - West Side - Good mix of rocks and techy climbs, no crazy descents (bell pass west side is bit steep), or big drops for the most part. - Can do 10-60 miles depending on your desires as the west side connects to the east side where you have Pemberton and Comp loops.
Windgate & Bell Pass Mountain Bike Ride Profile | McDowell Mts West - Desert, Windgate, Bell near Scottsdale | Times and Records | Strava and
XC West Site loops - Mountain Bike Ride Profile | McDowell-Mts West - Quartz - Lost Dog loop, then Taliesin&Quartz Again near Scottsdale | Times and Records | Strava

Cave Creek Regional park. - Some good climbs and the occasional tech section. Not a ton of miles, but you can use this area as part of route to duplicate the Cave Creek Bike Fest route (CCBF). That was a 24 mile route out Cave Creek.
Backway into Cave Creek Route Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Maricopa-Overton-GoJohn-Overton Again near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava and
Race Route Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Bike Fest Race near Cave Creek | Times and Records | Strava

Further North is Black Canyon trail - BCT Start from Emery Henderson of New River road and head north. You can 10-20-40+ miles easy. Nothing super technical, but you have to watch every mile since there are alot of tight turns and minor rock gardens pass.
26 Mile Ride Mountain Bike Ride Profile | BCT - EH to Agua Fria With Terry near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

Going south is Phx Mtn Preserve (PMP) Trail 100 and Dreamy Draw area. If you want some really techy riding you can find here.
Mini - Tech Tour Mountain Bike Ride Profile | PMP East Wandering with Dan & Tony near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava
Techy XC Ride Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Trail 100- 51 Freeway to 7th St near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

All off these are with in about 15 min from where you are. BCT is probably more like 20-25 min drive.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Roadie! What?

Riding road is a means to stay in shape for the XC season.

I ride a road bike mid week to keep in good shape for my weekend Mtb bike rides... :)

I ride a 26" hardtail on all the rides I posted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts