Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has expressed an interest in maybe relocating from AZ to somewhere less hot in the summers, and one stipulation I have that she is good with is that if we move anywhere, there need to be good MTB trails within short driving distance from wherever we end up, and preferably a short ride away.
Portland is much hyped, but I am wary of fitting in there. I am a Brit, but frankly do not like grey rainy days. I have had too many of them! Wife is an artist/painter, and I am in the music touring biz, so we can live pretty much anywhere... within reason!

Any advice, thoughts?

·
On wuss patrol
5,047 Posts
Don't like gray? Won't like PDX. Beautiful place to live but I was born here, have been here all my life, have all my family here, so I stay. I suffer through the wet and gray and truly appreciate when the trails and riding are good.

It is a bike friendly town but not mtb/trail friendly.

No real trails right in town or even a short bike ride away. Better to best trails are 45 mins out or more.

This is a good time of year to make a visit because you can see the area emerging from the wet season (Spring is beautiful), see how you are with the grayness, check out the trails that are starting to dry and be decent.

Great racing scene which is now getting into full swing for the year.

Reactions: gabrielle

·
I should be out riding
1,858 Posts
Seattle is much better as far as having trails close by. Worse traffic and housing prices than pdx. Better road riding in pdx and the Willamette valley, and OBRA is great. Lots of grey days up here as well. Hard to find sun without heat too. Personally I'd take heat over rain from October through May/June.

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, seems that the grey might swing it against the NW for me. I do not like road riding either, but that is the same anywhere... I will be dragged kicking and screaming away from the sun I fear!

Am I right in that the trails are pretty much unusable thru winter as they are too wet?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Depends on which winter... this year I rode every week (first time ever as I'm usually on my sled). Hood River gets a lot more sun that Portland and is a better place all the way around (if you can find a job). A lot of peeps like Bend but I can't stand it in the summer - a big dust bowl if you ask me.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
16,002 Posts
Where else are you guys looking? How big of a city do you want?

Other places I've enjoyed include Flagstaff, Park City, Steamboat Springs, Carbondale, Salida, and Glenwood Springs.

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like all the places you mention, but she would prefer to be close to a large-ish city with good restaurants, stores etc. We are in Tucson right now, and it's OK by me, but she would prefer somewhere a little more cosmopolitan!
Austin TX has come up, and I think that bears looking closer at too.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
People definitely don't move to Portland for the mountain biking, but if you enjoy city life, IMO, it doesn't get too much better than Portland. The weather from Juneish to Octoberish definitely makes up for the rainy days. I have a few friends that ride all year, so it can be done, but I'd rather get out to ski.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Oh, yeah. The singletrack outside of Portland and in SW Washington is pretty sweet. It's easily an hour to an hour+ get to it most of it, but there's enough to keep you busy most weekends during the spring, summer and fall months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts