Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of getting a shovel to fix some of my local trails, just for personal satisfaction..berms, humps etc.. any suggestions? thanks

·
Dirt Monkey
282 Posts
Google "folding shovel" and you will get a bunch of results for cheap options. I wouldn't use one of these for any significant trail building though. The ones I have seen/used are generally low quality and just don't work very well for any real dirt moving. They might be useful for minor repair work in very remote locations but certainly not building berms or humps.

A high quality, and expensive, option is the Trail Boss system by Trail Insight: link I have never used it but this is probably going to be the best solution if you need a full sized tool in a highly portable form.

For serious digging (like berms and humps), a full sized flat shovel or transfer shovel made from thicker gauge steel can't be beat. Putting a sharp edge on the shovel with a file/grinder also makes digging a lot easier if the soil is filled with roots. Substitute a round point/spade shovel if you will be working in rocky soils. I have seen photos floating around of full sized shovels mounted along side the top tube on a bike with DIY brackets or straps. If you need to move some serious dirt, without dropping some serious coin, this might be the best option.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks.. i went to home depot and the smallest sturdy ones are still big for a back pack, i had googled the folding ones from walmart and read that they suck, ill check a military store thanks for the tip.. that trail boss though looks like everything i need, but damn $300... its really for 3 good corners that wish i didn't have to use my brakes, so a small berm to hold my tire would be awesome, i just ask cuz i see people with bike trailers and dirt buckets doing their thing (building)

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
Standard disclaimer:
Make sure you have permission before you do any repairs or building on trails.

That being said, if you're building berms and step-ups or even small "humps" you're going to find using an entrenching shovel to be very slow and laborous. You'll be better off strapping a full size shovel to your bike and just taking it easy when you ride in. You won't need to carry it with you every time you ride. If you have lots to do, stash it out there. You can buy a long handled shovel for $15. You can even carry a D-handled shovel in your pack, watch for low branches though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Standard disclaimer:
Make sure you have permission before you do any repairs or building on trails.

That being said, if you're building berms and step-ups or even small "humps" you're going to find using an entrenching shovel to be very slow and laborous. You'll be better off strapping a full size shovel to your bike and just taking it easy when you ride in. You won't need to carry it with you every time you ride. If you have lots to do, stash it out there. You can buy a long handled shovel for $15. You can even carry a D-handled shovel in your pack, watch for low branches though.
thats not a bad idea , ill check craigslist for a cheap one and just leave it out there, its just to throw some dirt a couple times and probably never use it again or often.. thanks

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Buy a shovel for 15 bucks, and just leave it out at the trails. Make sure it has a wooden handle and not a fiberglass one.

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
I've had good luck with the Kubota folding goon spoon.
Knuckledragger cropped_1.jpg .
It must be the ergonomics or something, but I can dig all day with one of these and hardly get tired.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
i was thinking of getting a shovel to fix some of my local trails, just for personal satisfaction..berms, humps etc.. any suggestions? thanks
By "fix" do you mean do basic maintenance like clearing drains, de-berming critical edges, etc? Or do you mean constructing "features" where none currently exist? Clearing drains and such can be done with a relatively small folding saw, moving and shaping lots of dirt takes a more substantial tool.

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts