Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I be looking for in a portable shovel? Need to be able to pack it in the backpack. The smaller shovel with short extension doesn't seem up to task in term of digging and pounding to pack down take off lips.

I am not planning to build brand new jumps, but just to repair smaller pumptrack lips that are in bad condition. Trying to keep cost down as spending 300 bucks on a fancy shovel with extension seems out of place for what I am trying to achieve.

What do you guys carry? Thanks!

@FC, I saw a post you had with a fancy compact shovel. What brand is that?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yeah, the Trail Boss is pretty unbelievably expensive. From what I've heard it's nice, I haven't had a chance to actually use one or see it in person to assess its quality. I have used this https://inteletool.myshopify.com/, it's a bit heavier but definitely cheaper. I like that it's telescoping (as opposed to multi-piece), nice to be able to shrink the tool down a bit for carrying or working in tight spaces.

Price tag is pretty high for both; so far I've saved money stashing tools out in the woods and losing them after a year or so. Of course keeping the tools in a fixed spot may or may not work depending on whether you have a typical worksite or are just working all over.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
We've got @ 20 Trailbosses, they're worth the money for a backcountry tool. That being said, we have zero shovel heads for them, those aren't the kind of trails we're using them on.

I've also got a telescoping handle with a mcloed and hoe head of my own from here. They are bigger all the way around and feel like a standard trail tool, the disadvantage is that they don't pack down quite as small.

https://jrfiretools.com/

I can't imagine that for a pump track you need to move tools very far, why not just carry them in? Stash cheap shovels etc?

·
Pro Crastinator
11,939 Posts
Ha! Same here. Can't ever seem to remember where I stashed them...
this is often my problem. the tools at my jump spots are always in the same spot so that's easy enough. the tools on the trail, i often forget where they were left. a few years ago, a fire came thru the area, since the bushes were all gone, we found almost all of them. like 30 shovel, pick and rake heads, all with no handles anymore though...

·
Registered
763 Posts
For anyone who thinks Trail Boss tools are expensive, they are the right tool for the job and built to last. People wont think twice about buying a $75 Minion that may last a season (and made in China).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.