Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmmmm, motor up, pedal down... beats shuttling any day... opens up some interesting possibilities and it fits in my travel bike case. might just have to explore this

please it would be fun to wrench on...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
singlesprocket said:
hmmmmm, motor up, pedal down... beats shuttling any day... opens up some interesting possibilities and it fits in my travel bike case. might just have to explore this

please it would be fun to wrench on...
Pretty similar effect on trails as an ATV I would think. Maybe we should come up with a trail plan for these units. :confused:

·
Registered
340 Posts
What about the tremendous weight penalty....
Even if you ignore the "impact on the trail" factor you would have to fight with that thing on the way down...
What could be the weight of that thing , around 70-80 lbs at least....:nono: :nono:

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rockyuphill said:
If it were only electric so it wouldn't stink up the uphill trails or access roads.
electric is the way to go but motor/battery/ and regenerative braking/charging technology needs more work ... though if you use this as a shuttle, it is more clean and fuel efficient then shuttling with two pick up trucks...

found this one also...
http://www.erockit.net/

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mtbmeister said:
Pretty similar effect on trails as an ATV I would think. Maybe we should come up with a trail plan for these units. :confused:
oh bull$hit, a two wheeled 50cc 4 stroke motor with an automatic clutch on platform that incorporates bicycles components, light enough (can be built 80lbs) to pedal and road legal...

vs a non road road legal 397cc, 4 wheeled, 408lbs 5 speed, which i'm sure you can pedal ;)

pictures of atv damage...
this was singletrack two years ago

typical trail widening behavior of atv's

a trail plan is a good idea! actually a trail plan for all users is a intelligent and transparent
method of involving the public and promoting stewardship...

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
I have always been saying, if one can't pedal up, one should not be allowed to bomb down... I enjoy looking and listening at "tough looking" in full protective gear dudes at the bottom of the Blue Mountain, telling their fishing stories while drinking Red Bull or other caffeinated energy drinks from the commercials...

This motorized PO$ is as bad as any ATV. It will be cheaper - so the potential to outnumber ATVs on our trails is pretty good. More of them can cause as much damage as ATVs do. Pedals are there just to make it street legal... I don't think they would actually be used for pedaling. Pretty pathetic indeed...

However, I am sure that if a sustainable trail plan is developed and trails are built using sustainable methods - there would be absolutely no damage to the trails and they could be used by equestrians, hikers, hunters, bikers, runners and bird watchers... I hope that we can involve yoga practitioners in the plan as well, as long as the trail plan is sustainable.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what a mornic statement :thumbsup:

cheaper eh? have you priced one out? no didn't think so. any hoot lets look at this in a unbiased manner... i guess you ride to albion/hardwood hills and races all the time.
i'm sure you don't load your bike on your car and drive for hours on end. so if you crunch the car/bike relationship numbers... this vehicle probally comes out ahead with a smaller ecological footprint then you and your bike... actually i would like to see more of them on the road as an alternative form of transportation. try having a creative thought once in a while.

osokolo said:
I have always been saying, if one can't pedal up, one should not be allowed to bomb down... I enjoy looking and listening at "tough looking" in full protective gear dudes at the bottom of the Blue Mountain, telling their fishing stories while drinking Red Bull or other caffeinated energy drinks from the commercials...

This motorized PO$ is as bad as any ATV. It will be cheaper - so the potential to outnumber ATVs on our trails is pretty good. More of them can cause as much damage as ATVs do. Pedals are there just to make it street legal... I don't think they would actually be used for pedaling. Pretty pathetic indeed...

However, I am sure that if a sustainable trail plan is developed and trails are built using sustainable methods - there would be absolutely no damage to the trails and they could be used by equestrians, hikers, hunters, bikers, runners and bird watchers... I hope that we can involve yoga practitioners in the plan as well, as long as the trail plan is sustainable.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
moronic eh?

nope, I haven't priced one yet, but I am pretty sure that it is cheaper than the ATV. Do you have any info to prove otherwise? As such, it will be more affordable to more potential buyers... More lazy arse, overweight $OBs like yourself that would rather squeeze the accelerator then burn some fat on the way up... pretty moronic, eh?

Lets look at the rest of your retarded statement in unbiased way:

Yes, I do mount my bike on my car and drive myself to Albion Hills or Hardwood Hills. I guess you are suggesting that I either:

- drive myself to the race on this PO$ and then race the race on it (TeeHee a winna') OR
- bungie cord my bike to my back and drive myself on this PO$ to the race venue and then race on my bike.

Which one it is - so that I can make sure that the ecological footprint that I leave behind myself is as small as possible? I like the bungie cord idea, it is pretty "creative thought" quite like your other thoughts...

Merry Christmas. Try some Kool Aid... works well...

singlesprocket said:
what a mornic statement :thumbsup:

cheaper eh? have you priced one out? no didn't think so. any hoot lets look at this in a unbiased manner... i guess you ride to albion/hardwood hills and races all the time.
i'm sure you don't load your bike on your car and drive for hours on end. so if you crunch the car/bike relationship numbers... this vehicle probally comes out ahead with a smaller ecological footprint then you and your bike... actually i would like to see more of them on the road as an alternative form of transportation. try having a creative thought once in a while.

·
Registered
340 Posts
well said...

+1 on that!!
That thing would kill the whole idea of mountain biking...
It is funny how some people can turn anything against racing ....
This bike is a stupid idea in my opinion that's it..
You don't have to start to talk about carbon footprint and such if you ( Singlesprocket ) are not getting the respond what you looking for....
This is my 2 cents...
Sorry for my english it's still not there...

osokolo said:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just hate motorized bikes. The whole idea of cycling is to pedal and use muscle power to get around, (daily excercise)... and in the process build strength and become fit.
As for alternative transportation ? I don't think a DH bike/dirtbike Hybrid is a good way to get around the city. I prefer my fixed gear for that.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
once again i said neither... weaksauce on the insults :D

so you have to drive your car to ride your bike... at least two hours driving total on a good day (did not included being stuck in traffic or how much you drive in the week)... kinda makes you a hypocrite with regards to statements on this mode of transport. like it or not you are going to see a lot more of these all over. if it displaces the use of atv's and cars i would say it's a positive thing... i must say your thinking is very selfish and luddite in nature...

i would say atv's out number bikes offroad by a factor of 10:1 further up north you go the greater it gets. cheap atv's here... http://www.abibaba.ca/xcart/catalog/ATVs-price0-p-1-c-3.html you can buy two atv's for the price of one downhill fork.

osokolo said:
nope, I haven't priced one yet, but I am pretty sure that it is cheaper than the ATV. Do you have any info to prove otherwise? As such, it will be more affordable to more potential buyers... More lazy arse, overweight $OBs like yourself that would rather squeeze the accelerator then burn some fat on the way up... pretty moronic, eh?

Lets look at the rest of your retarded statement in unbiased way:

Yes, I do mount my bike on my car and drive myself to Albion Hills or Hardwood Hills. I guess you are suggesting that I either:

- drive myself to the race on this PO$ and then race the race on it (TeeHee a winna') OR
- bungie cord my bike to my back and drive myself on this PO$ to the race venue and then race on my bike.

Which one it is - so that I can make sure that the ecological footprint that I leave behind myself is as small as possible? I like the bungie cord idea, it is pretty "creative thought" quite like your other thoughts...

Merry Christmas. Try some Kool Aid... works well...

·
I Wanna Be Sedated
764 Posts
That thing is just downright goofy. It makes for a crappy bicycle and a crappy motorcycle. In fact, it appears to be the all-season tire of two-wheeled transport - sucky in all conditions.

Clarification and open admission: I often drive my cars just for giggles. I'll take the long way home in the summer, windows down, just to hear the song of the exhaust at wide open throttle as I approach the limiter. I'll spend a day lapping at the track burning up gas and tires in a car with no emission controls. I do it all for the love of automobiles. I also love riding my bicycles, but it has nothing to do with me being an eviromentalist. I just love bicycles, just like I love automobiles. :)

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
weaksauce?

not sure which part of my statement you didn't understand. Comprehension challenged?

No prob, lets analyze your moronic statements in unbiased way.

1. if you dish an insult out - expect to receive one, in most cases. Calling someone's comments moronic to open the discussion - does not call for hugs and kisses in return. Read your answer to my first post...

2. I am not a hypocrite. I drive my car because I have to and I will never replace the car with this kind of transportation, nor I think that anyone else will in any substantial number. I see some kids that can not afford ATVs buying this PO$ just for giggles and show off and buzzing all over the forest... I also do not think ATV users will switch to this PO$ as ATV is way more fun, like it or not...

3. My way of thinking is selfish and luddite? That statement is retarded. I guess 99% of the population is then selfish and luddite and the rest is... well... environmentally conscious? for the lack of better word. Cars are not the biggest polluters in the universe. Not even close. We can all stop driving cars and the carbon footprint will not change much. Once the scientists actually get their act together and actually give us the honest data on global warming and other environmental bull$hit, I will start listening. Until then, sorry. I am not that retarded to believe in Al Gore's crap nor to support the attempt at the new world order with regards to "carbon footprint" and similar nonsensical buzz words.

I am doing my share of recycling and using water and electricity smartly. And I fully support Canada's stance regarding environmental issues that we took at Copenhagen.... Waiting to hear from non-lying environmentalists on real impact by humans on the environment in order to form a definite opinion on this issue....

As I suggested - Kool Aid... and bacon of course... life is too short to spend it in misery...

singlesprocket said:
once again i said neither... weaksauce on the insults :D

so you have to drive your car to ride your bike... at least two hours driving total on a good day (did not included being stuck in traffic or how much you drive in the week)... kinda makes you a hypocrite with regards to statements on this mode of transport. like it or not you are going to see a lot more of these all over. if it displaces the use of atv's and cars i would say it's a positive thing... i must say your thinking is very selfish and luddite in nature...

i would say atv's out number bikes offroad by a factor of 10:1 further up north you go the greater it gets. cheap atv's here... http://www.abibaba.ca/xcart/catalog/ATVs-price0-p-1-c-3.html you can buy two atv's for the price of one downhill fork.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i still find it humorous you drive your car for hours on end to ride your bike.
it's very ironic don't you think? i think the best term for your responses is the
"the pot calling the kettle black"... who called you names anyway? just that your "statement" was moronic, your behaviour was selfish and luddite in nature :prft: . yet you have repeatedly called names, lied and flopped around like a fish (look at your own posts in the last 6 months :nono: ). once again you have no grasp of the problems and the interrelationships of society/nature around you (i kinda wonder what you do for a living:rolleyes: ). who the heck talked about al gore and global warming? other than habitat loss/mass consumerism the automobile is a huge contributing factor to the degradation of our enviroment and waste of resources. just think how many square meters of greenspace has been displaced and will be displaced in the future... yup real sustainable and not effecting the enviroment... :skep: all hail to any form of the bicycle powered or not (of course i prefer electric:cornut: ).

by the way good form ignoring the link that you can buy an atv for around $400 in toronto... annnd here is a link for another "cheap" powered bicycle...
http://www.erockit.net/en/ (just in case you missed it ;) )

osokolo said:
not sure which part of my statement you didn't understand. Comprehension challenged?

No prob, lets analyze your moronic statements in unbiased way.

1. if you dish an insult out - expect to receive one, in most cases. Calling someone's comments moronic to open the discussion - does not call for hugs and kisses in return. Read your answer to my first post...

2. I am not a hypocrite. I drive my car because I have to and I will never replace the car with this kind of transportation, nor I think that anyone else will in any substantial number. I see some kids that can not afford ATVs buying this PO$ just for giggles and show off and buzzing all over the forest... I also do not think ATV users will switch to this PO$ as ATV is way more fun, like it or not...

3. My way of thinking is selfish and luddite? That statement is retarded. I guess 99% of the population is then selfish and luddite and the rest is... well... environmentally conscious? for the lack of better word. Cars are not the biggest polluters in the universe. Not even close. We can all stop driving cars and the carbon footprint will not change much. Once the scientists actually get their act together and actually give us the honest data on global warming and other environmental bull$hit, I will start listening. Until then, sorry. I am not that retarded to believe in Al Gore's crap nor to support the attempt at the new world order with regards to "carbon footprint" and similar nonsensical buzz words.

I am doing my share of recycling and using water and electricity smartly. And I fully support Canada's stance regarding environmental issues that we took at Copenhagen.... Waiting to hear from non-lying environmentalists on real impact by humans on the environment in order to form a definite opinion on this issue....

As I suggested - Kool Aid... and bacon of course... life is too short to spend it in misery...

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
At the risk of being labeled a moron as well, I find it hard to believe that the majority of people who find this sort of thing appealing would be getting one to be ecologically sensitive, it's a nice platform to argue from but c'mon, that's not the real world. If anything, this would be nothing more than a junior dirt bike used to tear up the mud, displace dirt on hills, and cut new trails, I also believe it's nonsense to think that everyone who owns one would be strictly using it to get to their destination then shut the engine off and only pedal around the trails...even the title of this thread is "portable chair lift" not environmentally friendly transportation.

If having these things ripping around the trails making noise and spitting exhaust is what the future has in store, then expect a lot more trails in the future being designated as hiking only. Trail advocacy is gonna get a lot harder...

My opinion, take it or leave it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.