Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Keep the rubberside down
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the wife and I are going over to Port Gamble this next weekend, anyone got any riding suggestions for me? I know I've heard y'all talking about riding over that way. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
443 Posts
when are you guys going? port gamble are my home trails, less than 3 miles from my mom's house...i used to ride there all the time, but somehow don't know the trails by name...lol. if you want to meet up and ride next weekend, i will be over there on sunday. as far as routes...there are quite a few....what way are you guys planning to enter the trails? there are about 10 different places to get into the trails, so knowing that would be a good starting point...

I would recommend heading in from the main parking lot off of stottlemeyer road off the highway...that would be the easiest point to reference from, as it dumps you directly onto the old logging road 1800, which is an access point for most of the trails.

if you and your wife haven't been there before, stop by the port gamble general store and pick up a trail map...although they are smaller and harder to read than before, they will still give you a basic layout of the fireroads...but there is a lot of singletrack not on the map, and you can get lost quite easily....often times, first timers to port gamble only do the main loop, which is a few miles, but only because they have trouble finding the xc trails.

shoot me a message if you guys want to link up...I haven't ridden the trails there in about a month due to work. have fun.

·
Registered
443 Posts
depends on what type of riding you are into...as far as fun single track loops w/ minimal pedalling...it is awesome...there are some small climbs, but it is similar to st eddy's but w/ more turns, twists and descents....tons of fun for a ride after work, although it might not be worth the ferry fare in some people's opinions...personally, i love it out there.

·
Registered
443 Posts
you can certainly get a good workout in out there too though...plenty of pedally routes if you know your way around...alos some tight techy xc stuff as you head into the alders.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I finally got a chance to ride over to port Gamble on Sunday. A friend and I took the ferry from edmonds and rode W along 104 for a little under 5 miles.

http://www.portgamble.com/pdf/trail_map_rules.pdf

We entered the woods at G-02. Initially, we had a little trouble finding the singletrack. We went up G-1000 and went left into the dotted line trails on the map. Finally some singletrack, but it was pretty overgrown and we were probably riding it backwards. Loose and steep, but a fun climb.

From there, our path was a little more complicated that I can explain. We were probably on some of the unmapped singletrack and then out on some doubletrack making our way towards the south where the map has a cluster of dotted lines. We came to a fairly open and dry area with more singletrack and less overgrown issues. We rode around that area for a little while trying to make some loops.

Eventually, we made our way back towards the SE of the map (G-03) and headed back to Kingston. The road riding added a few miles to the day, but it wasn't too bad.

I have a feeling there are some good loops here, but it would take a few visits to figure it out. What is the singletrack situation towards the center and N of the map?

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
soreyes said:
I finally got a chance to ride over to port Gamble on Sunday. A friend and I took the ferry from edmonds and rode W along 104 for a little under 5 miles.

http://www.portgamble.com/pdf/trail_map_rules.pdf

We entered the woods at G-02. Initially, we had a little trouble finding the singletrack. We went up G-1000 and went left into the dotted line trails on the map. Finally some singletrack, but it was pretty overgrown and we were probably riding it backwards. Loose and steep, but a fun climb.

From there, our path was a little more complicated that I can explain. We were probably on some of the unmapped singletrack and then out on some doubletrack making our way towards the south where the map has a cluster of dotted lines. We came to a fairly open and dry area with more singletrack and less overgrown issues. We rode around that area for a little while trying to make some loops.

Eventually, we made our way back towards the SE of the map (G-03) and headed back to Kingston. The road riding added a few miles to the day, but it wasn't too bad.

I have a feeling there are some good loops here, but it would take a few visits to figure it out. What is the singletrack situation towards the center and N of the map?
There's an incredible amount of trails not shown on the map. I'm guessing a good 4-7 miles worth.

In fact there's even some good freeride out there with sweet skinnies, 6 foot drops, hips, wall rides, etc.

All I can say, is if you manage to find the 1 mile long giant clear cut, go to the far North end of it in the center. That's where some of the goods are located.

Too bad I don't live out there any longer, there's some AMAZING trails out there that took me years to discover. Next time I'm out there I'll try to get some other riders together to show them around.

·
Keep the rubberside down
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rode from G-02

I entered at G-02 gate headed straight ahead and G-1000, took the first trail over to G-1910, then up G-1920 to mass singletrack, from there I ventured around till I found G-04, then backtracked to the opposite side of the park, then finally ended up on G-1700 and worked my way back to the parking at G-02. My odometer read 15.3 miles. It was awesome, not great singletrack but adequate.

·
Registered
443 Posts
dude, next time you are thinking about hitting pope, let me know. there is actually a ton of single track loops that are kind of hidden off of g-1000 and g-1800 as you get towards the valley and the clearcut. let a local give you a tour, or pm me before you head out next time. if you're headed out there on a sunday, i can show you the good stuff towards waht the locals call the alders. it's some more techy, flowy singletrack. fun stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.