Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for responding - this forum came up when I googled the bike and thought I would take a shot and ask the question. My husband was heavy into all things Porsche in the 80's and 90's - I think I have some of his old contacts. I will go that route. Thanks again.

·
B A N N E D
5,347 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to find out the year of a Porsche S bike? Under front fork it says Votec GSiii or 111 and then a number 002864 - I'm guessing that's the serial number? This was my husband's bike and I thought he got it in 1996, '97 or '98. Want to sell it as he passed away. I have the manual that came with it but no date on it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sounds like it's a 96 model.

Looking at the following thread, the 96 model had the Votec GS III fork, the 97 model had a Votec GS 97 fork.

1996 Votec Porsche Bike S | Retrobike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well that's enough for me - thank you! I really thought it was 96, but wanted to be sure. I remember him riding our son around when he was about 3 yrs old. Can any bike shop service this bike - it has flat tires and hasn't been ridden in 15 years. Located in NH.

·
B A N N E D
5,347 Posts
Can any bike shop service this bike - it has flat tires and hasn't been ridden in 15 years. Located in NH.
The only hard part of servicing that bike would be the fork.

The old elastomers in the fork will most likely need replacing, they can still be purchased but you might have trouble finding a shop that'll want to work on it.

https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/votec.html

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,652 Posts

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
nice and elitist...
yes and sexy (if you like white chicks) actually she's a pro roadie:thumbsup:

The 2016 RS version has a 2x11 XTR drive train w/ a 38/28 and 11-40, totally easy to ride on the trails . Methinks XTR's getting soft, mine came with a 44/30 and a 11-32

Attachments

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,786 Posts
I'm in sales at a Porsche dealership and they made us stock one a few years back when they first came out. It was a nice bike, but a horrible value. It was built by some euro bike company and had an odd mix of Sachs and Magura components. The suspension fork was a very light triple clamp fork, but looked to be very basic in spring and damping quality. There was no way we we're ever going to sell it, so we threw it in on a 911 deal. Probably hanging in a garage, untouched.
As it should be. An incentive to push someone into purchasing a car with its sole intention to be used as wall art in a fancy garage.

·
Super Moderator
6,780 Posts
As it should be. An incentive to push someone into purchasing a car with its sole intention to be used as wall art in a fancy garage.
Yep, I also was a former Porsche $tealer rep. They gave me one as a sales bonus...because they could not for the life of them move a single one, retail. Mine was a pogo stick. I sold it and got a 1997 Specialized A1 FS instead. That bike truly felt like the Porsche of mountain bikes then!

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
Yep, I also was a former Porsche $tealer rep. They gave me one as a sales bonus...because they could not for the life of them move a single one, retail. Mine was a pogo stick. I sold it and got a 1997 Specialized A1 FS instead. That bike truly felt like the Porsche of mountain bikes then!
you should have kept that gig, if they gave you one of these---can't go wrong with a hard tail and the lightweight weenie-ness of German carbon, XTR and the Magura MT8 stoppers will put a smile on your face. I converted it to a single ring front XTR M9020 & a Praxis cassette. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm curious about them. I was in the Porsche dealership Saturday and saw a recall notice for the models that have a carbon stem. Porsche says that they are cracking/breaking.

I alway wanted to try one but haven't been able to find any one that has one. Are they like their cars where "There is no substitute"? I would like to see if any body actually uses their Porsche bike.

Thanks Steve Frew
Hi there, have one for sale, if interested pls let me know.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Only as a 1/12 scale diecast. 21 years ago when I first got into mountain biking they had these 1/12 scale Maisto diecasts in Walmart. I bought a Cannondale road bike and this Porsche FS Evolution mountain bike.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts