Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yeah I was referring to the factory model with the 911 parts. I had a friend who started a restoration project on a 914/6 back in the mid 80s and that's where I picked up an appreciation for the little cars. We spent many hours in junk yards and at the Porsche dealer cross-referencing VW and Porsche numbers. We substituted VW parts like fuel line Ts to help bring down the cost of the resto.

Unfortunately like many guys he ran into wife aggro and dumped it for a song. I wasn't in any better shape at the time and was about to be transferred so I couldn't gain from his loss.

As a clean, factory 6 a very unique car I would guess.

·
Registered
12,804 Posts
Yeah I was referring to the factory model with the 911 parts. I had a friend who started a restoration project on a 914/6 back in the mid 80s and that's where I picked up an appreciation for the little cars. We spent many hours in junk yards and at the Porsche dealer cross-referencing VW and Porsche numbers. We substituted VW parts like fuel line Ts to help bring down the cost of the resto.

Unfortunately like many guys he ran into wife aggro and dumped it for a song. I wasn't in any better shape at the time and was about to be transferred so I couldn't gain from his loss.

As a clean, factory 6 a very unique car I would guess.
Very unique, especially when there is only one just like it. And It handles like you wouldn't believe. And it sounds wonderful with after market air filters.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I don't remember, triple-throat down drafts carbs? Webers or Solex? Porsches were too pricey for me so I dabbled in Euro Opels and Fords with side draft Webers at the time. Nice memories.

·
Registered
960 Posts
My Saturday mornings circa 1977-1983 (went to Germany in '80) I spent with a couple of eclectic groups of owners which spanned Alpha GTVs (that's the ones I really lusted over), some baby Alpha ragtops I can't remember the name of, maybe an old Fiat 124 sedan, a Bugeye, maybe a stray Austin Healey 3000 and one rare 3.0 Ford Capri.

The Brit car guys would be cursing Lucas, the Alpha and Fiat guys complaining about Marelli, and anyone with Bosch electrics would be puzzled about what they were complaining about. :p But almost all of us had multi-carbs and would be passing around a uni-syn fine-tuning the carbs. :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
The polished Fuchs were your first clue. ;)

'89 951 (street) and '86 951 NASA GTS-3 here. One of my other afflictions..
You are correct, the wheels had my suspicions going. ;)

I spent '89-'95 over in Germany and got to see a few Porsches. I distinctly remember the 951 but they weren't real common as some of the others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I stumbled upon this thread while looking for information on a Porsche Bike S. I have one (Guards Red) if you're still interested. Disclaimer: Around 2004? I replaced the Sachs components with Shimano XT and the stock rims with Mavic SUP 517's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I started this thread over 5 years ago and it's still going.

It's so hard to find anything about these bikes. Even the dealer doesn't know anything, but then I really wouldn't expect them to. I still would like to find one though, just for the "Porsche" name on the down tube. Especially if it is Guards Red.
Hi, I stumbled upon this thread while looking for information on a Porsche Bike S. I have one (Guards Red) if you're still interested. Disclaimer: Around 2004? I replaced the Sachs components with Shimano XT and the stock rims with Mavic SUP 517's.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,786 Posts
You don't have to repeat yourself here. Well maybe you do.:eek:ut:

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,786 Posts
I stutter ;) Nah, replied without a quote first and didn't see how to delete my original one.
Well get used to repeating yourself in this forum. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to find out the year of a Porsche S bike? Under front fork it says Votec GSiii or 111 and then a number 002864 - I'm guessing that's the serial number? This was my husband's bike and I thought he got it in 1996, '97 or '98. Want to sell it as he passed away. I have the manual that came with it but no date on it. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,652 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to find out the year of a Porsche S bike? Under front fork it says Votec GSiii or 111 and then a number 002864 - I'm guessing that's the serial number? This was my husband's bike and I thought he got it in 1996, '97 or '98. Want to sell it as he passed away. I have the manual that came with it but no date on it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sorry for your loss and I would not worry about the year to much, just say mid late 90's Porsche mtb.
If I would be you I would rather try to sell it to a Porsche guy or on a Porsche forum than to a mountain biker.
They are more a novelty item for a Porsche fan than something a mountain biker would look for.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts