Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about them. I was in the Porsche dealership Saturday and saw a recall notice for the models that have a carbon stem. Porsche says that they are cracking/breaking.

I alway wanted to try one but haven't been able to find any one that has one. Are they like their cars where "There is no substitute"? I would like to see if any body actually uses their Porsche bike.

Thanks Steve Frew

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm in sales at a Porsche dealership and they made us stock one a few years back when they first came out. It was a nice bike, but a horrible value. It was built by some euro bike company and had an odd mix of Sachs and Magura components. The suspension fork was a very light triple clamp fork, but looked to be very basic in spring and damping quality. There was no way we we're ever going to sell it, so we threw it in on a 911 deal. Probably hanging in a garage, untouched.

·
Old man on a bike
12,388 Posts
Kinda went the way of ther Mercedes/AMP bike...for those who bought the car/bike combo, probably for bragging rights more than anything, then never rode it..

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I saw this bike in person a few months ago- was on display in a pretentious NYC executive toy store, Sui Generis. Couldn't resist going in and asking nosy questions, especially when I saw that it was removed from the window and replaced with the BMW version.

According to the notes I took on the back of the business card:

Porsche MTB- $25,000
FS Evolution
Michelin / Spengle carbon-fiber wheels
Astro-5 rear suspension
Hope disc brakes / Plasma
Serfas saddle (Selle Royale)
Sachs shifting

I was told that the most valuable part of the bike were the wheels, but the hefty price tag was due to its collectable status. Apparently, Porsche only made a small bunch of these bikes, and as soon as they said it was out of production, the price shot up.

What was downright comical was how it had this uberplush cruiser seat combined with superaerodynamic carbon-fiber mag roadie wheels and XC full-suspension :p A bike with an identity crisis!

Couldn't test ride it, as they had taken it out of the window b/c somebody in Miami Beach had just purchased it. So I turned my attention to the Beemer bike in the window, which was "only" $3,000 or so. Didn't take any notes, but it didn't appear any more special than the Porsche. I did like the BMW logo in the headset, that looked nice. Otherwise it was unimpressive.

·
♥ ς╥33£
488 Posts
3 years too late but.. was researching geometry on my old bikes to se what I should build next and I found this thread. I had a Porsche Bike S for 5-6 years or so. Here is some info on it http://www0.epinions.com/bike-Bicycles-All-72138-Porsche_Bike_S__1998

My nice Crescent Team 4 got stolen so I needed a new bike, we were in germany and I really "needed" a Votec or Hot chili (the coolest stuff out of germany at the time), anyway we couldnt find and Votec dealer in Munich and were we at the Porsche center and there on the wall the bike was hanging (it was made by Votec), they didnt want to sell it first but we managed to get it, costed like 1300€ in todays money.

It was a nice bike, never rode it offroad but I used it almost daily, it had a relaxed character, very comfortable aluminium frame (for being alu), good brakes, and it looked cool, never had any problems with it, a nice bike but nothing special really (except it said porsche on the frame :) ) quite agile, I used to put on Nokian extremes 296 (or is it 300) on it during the winter and ride like a maniac. I really liked the gripshifters, much better than on the bike that was stolen. Votec gs3 fork (elastomer I think), never opened it, but it worked well for my riding. I got the same money we paid for it when I sold it. All in all it was nice. There is a very similar bike made by the german company MAXX its called lunaMAXX, same geometry, but thinner bottom tube.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,786 Posts
Porsche bikes: Does anyone own or owned one?
How does one say crap in German?;)

1 - 20 of 115 Posts