Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids and a friend of ours and her kid were out for a ride yesterday. We were pulled over eating a snack on the side of porcupine/whites hill headed up to the flow trail, and an ebike came up the hill.
I told my 6 year old to get out of the way as he was close to the middle of the trail. Im always telling my kids to keep the trail clear but little kids dont always listen.
The ebiker didn’t slow down at all and said “whoop whoop” or something to that effect as he zoomed by my kid too close for comfort.
I yelled at him sarcastically “don’t slow down for the kid or anything!”
It’s a total shame how many trails in Marin are “illegal”.
Assholes like that rider are big part of the reason why. Who doesn’t slow down for a cute little kid!?
We also encountered several totally cool riders that offered words of encouragement to my kids. I appreciate it a lot.
Please don’t be an asshole on the trails. It’s not the 101.

·
Formerly dvo
2,135 Posts
This should be required reading.....https://www.outsideonline.com/2424415/trail-etiquette-tips-old-burnout?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebookpost&fbclid=IwAR26V7lKZyUjAIuD7T4RDgw64bo5XRbN0racINHPWKu5vUPsM835Bz-Dyag

·
Registered
887 Posts
My kids and a friend of ours and her kid were out for a ride yesterday. We were pulled over eating a snack on the side of porcupine/whites hill headed up to the flow trail, and an ebike came up the hill.
I told my 6 year old to get out of the way as he was close to the middle of the trail. Im always telling my kids to keep the trail clear but little kids dont always listen.
The ebiker didn’t slow down at all and said “whoop whoop” or something to that effect as he zoomed by my kid too close for comfort.
I yelled at him sarcastically “don’t slow down for the kid or anything!”
It’s a total shame how many trails in Marin are “illegal”.
Assholes like that rider are big part of the reason why. Who doesn’t slow down for a cute little kid!?
We also encountered several totally cool riders that offered words of encouragement to my kids. I appreciate it a lot.
Please don’t be an asshole on the trails. It’s not the 101.
Was it really necessary to call out that he/she was on an eBike though? Assholery and douchery know no such bounds, and are largely independent of the means of conveyance.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,426 Posts
Was it really necessary to call out that he/she was on an eBike though? Assholery and douchery know no such bounds, and are largely independent of the means of conveyance.
of course it was necessary. how else is he supposed to get the validation he is looking for?

FWIW OP: if he was going uphill he certainly wasn't going that quickly. if that too scary for you and your children, maybe stick to riding in circles at the park...

·
Registered
17 Posts
of course it was necessary. how else is he supposed to get the validation he is looking for?

FWIW OP: if he was going uphill he certainly wasn't going that quickly. if that too scary for you and your children, maybe stick to riding in circles at the park...
Man im pro ebike but the contortions and sensitivities we inflict on ourselves bust me up.

Now get outta my way, im going uphill on what used to be just a downhill section. See, ebikes do create more trails!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Congratulations you’re an asshole obviously
also. I’m not looking for your validation. I’m suggesting that people not act like bastards when out recreating and maybe someday more of our trails will be open. Also I’m just venting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was it necessary- no.
I’m just thinking in case that guy reads this he’ll know who he is and maybe not act like an asshole again.
I’ve got nothing against ebikes. I ordered one but it might be a year before I get it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, because if they were not, they would be too tired to be douches with no understanding of how bikers treat each other and others on the trails. So far, my interactions prove the theory. 🤷 I do know there are some clued in veteran bikers/ebikers but they are a minority. Get your people in line 🤬

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,295 Posts
Two separate, unrelated issues.
Ebikes.
Families blocking trails.
One has nothing to do with the other.
Both could be at fault in their own ways.
Personally I’d move my family away from the trail to take a break. For the sake of other trail users as well as for the sake of my family.
=sParty

·
Registered
80 Posts
If ebike uses all had good manners there would be no problem, but for some reason they tend to be dickish, as the comments on this thread show. Maybe it's the laziness or the insistence that they are special and that "non-motorized" rules don't apply to them. For some reason, they avg ebiker I've encountered has had worse manners than the avg biker. And like a car driver, the ebiker controls a dangerous vehicle. Bottom line is they shouldn't be on non - motorized trails.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ebikers, here's what you need to understand: Many mountain bikers (and their family members) ride on non motorized trails because of the dangers inherent in using motorized roads and trails. Now ebikers insist on bringing those dangers to non motorized trails, and many are being dicks about it. As long as you insist on riding your motor bikes on non motorized trails, a large portion of non motorized trail users are going to dislike you. Don't make it worse by also having bad manners and threatening people and their kids on the trail.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ebikers, here's what you need to understand: Many mountain bikers (and their family members) ride on non motorized trails because of the dangers inherent in using motorized roads and trails. Now ebikers insist on bringing those dangers to non motorized trails, and many are being dicks about it. As long as you insist on riding your motor bikes on non motorized trails, a large portion of non motorized trail users are going to dislike you. Don't make it worse by also having bad manners and threatening people and their kids on the trail.
...except 95% of "eBikers" are "mountain bikers" too. Let's just stop this myth that eBikers are all noobs. Just not so. Dickheads are dickheads, whether on eBikes, MTBs, gravel bikes, horses, or hiking boots.

·
Cycologist
7,899 Posts
Like probably everyone here, I can pass someone at speed very close, even lightly brush them if I want to. But you have to make a call on who they are: experienced looking mtbers and trail runners: you can pass closely at speed (but no reason to purposely be closer than needed); inexperienced mtbers and hikers: slow down and give them some room so as not to make them uncomfortable; kids and dogs: 100% unpredictable, liable to run in front of you at the last second so you must slow down, give as much clearance as you can and be prepared to stop. Not that difficult and default a level down if unsure. Bike shops should give out basic trail guidelines when they sell a bike. I'd say they should be posted at the trailhead but almost no one would bother reading them.

·
Cycologist
7,899 Posts
...except 95% of "eBikers" are "mountain bikers" too. Let's just stop this myth that eBikers are all noobs. Just not so. Dickheads are dickheads, whether on eBikes, MTBs, gravel bikes, horses, or hiking boots.
It will be interesting to see if in the future that remains true or if a lot of ebikers never ride an actual bicycle.

·
Professional Troll
2,635 Posts
If ebike uses all had good manners there would be no problem, but for some reason they tend to be dickish, as the comments on this thread show. Maybe it's the laziness or the insistence that they are special and that "non-motorized" rules don't apply to them. For some reason, they avg ebiker I've encountered has had worse manners than the avg biker. And like a car driver, the ebiker controls a dangerous vehicle. Bottom line is they shouldn't be on non - motorized trails.
wow you’ve got a lot of emotions around this. Not really based on much rational fact. That’s okay though, some people are just more emotional than others.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.