Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be in Moab on the 28th of this month and me and the guy riding up with me initially had the idea of riding the whole enchilada.

Never have ridden the Porc before and wondering what would be the realistic expectation of should I do it since I have read different versions of what to expect.

I can ride Zippity in Fruita if that helps with reference but I know Zippity and Porc are two different puppies as far as technical riding goes.

I generally consider myself an intermediate rider, can ride small rocks and roots (typical KC area terrain) - I know Porc is rated advanced and the guy operating the shuttle there in Moab says it takes about 4 - 7 hours to do the whole enchilada; time depending on how much stopping one does for pictures, etc.

I do not want to ride over my head and get in a pickle so want to ask to make sure I choose a trail wisely.

Thanks!

·
Dirtmistress
549 Posts
I've done that trail a few times. We tried to do it yesterday but it was cold and rainy. We ended up bailing down Sand Flats rd. due to one of our friends breaking a handle bar.
She got a ride down with Rim Tours. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:
So there are a couple places to bail if you need to. It seems fairly well marked but get a map anyway. It was a bit confusing at Warner lake.

It's about an hour shuttle. Bring warm clothes and rain gear even if it's nice in Moab. Bring water and food. Maybe hydration drink. The ride is taxing. Having an endurance base will help. There are steep slick rock drops (fun) and sand and railing fast bermed sections. High speed jeep road descents and unbelievable views. There are a few tough but fairly short climbs. Hike a bike for some people.
Burro, at the top, was hard. It was gorgeous, technical, rocks, roots, aspens, stream crossings and hike a bike. I'd do it again in a second!
You'll get tired. Can you deal with that? If so, then do it. Oh, bring band aids!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Broke a handlebar? Sweet!

7000ish vertical feet of more or less downhill riding....everyone needs to do that. It might beat you up a bit, but at the end of the day when you're sitting in front of a delicious meal and a cold beer, you'll be wearing the biggest grin ever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts