Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden at porcupine ridge, Buck wallow or Torrence Barrens? I read the book "Mountain Bike Guide to Ontario" by Rider Mel's which indicated those areas are fun but tough to ride. I never been there.

Can someone give me insights to these locations? What kind of terrain? Is the trail made for XC or Downhillers? Poison ivy ?

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Buckwallow

Picard said:
Has anyone ridden at porcupine ridge, Buck wallow or Torrence Barrens? I read the book "Mountain Bike Guide to Ontario" by Rider Mel's which indicated those areas are fun but tough to ride. I never been there.

Can someone give me insights to these locations? What kind of terrain? Is the trail made for XC or Downhillers? Poison ivy ?
I went to Buckwallow last summer and I was very impressed. Its a whole little playground where you can make hours of different loops. THe guy gives you a trail map and you can choose the difficulty you want. Some trails are pretty tough, and others are milder. Nothing really dangerous or crazy and nothing flat and boring though.

My favorite was a trail he had only recently finished with a log bridge spanning a gorge - the brige itself was fine but the trail was super fun - rolling hils, tight corners, little climbs and descents. It all flowed together and allowed me to keep momentum and feel like a much better rider than I actually am.

If your in the area you should go for an afternoon or two. Stop by the Giant Tiger in Gravenhurst for some nice new, clean, dry socks and you're good to go!

·
Banned
640 Posts
Buckwallow is great. Guy who owns it is really nice.
Pic ard you will need a ride so you don't have to walk.
Just put your # and address down here and I can swing by.
Love to ride with new people.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Picard said:

Porcupine Ridge/Santa's Village is now closed. DO NOT RIDE THERE BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL AND TRESPASSING! There is a chance it may open again and riding it illegally will definitely hurt the chance of it happening. There is somebody on this board who is close to the operators and they may have an update on the situation if they decide to post it.

Torrence Barrens? Never heard of it.

I've never gotten the chance to head out to Buckwallow because of schedule conflicts and other things but I've heard it can be very buggy and there is poison ivy but I've also heard the riding there is amazing and there is even a swimming hole at the KOA camp ground! I will make it to Buckwallow this year!

·
wheeler
595 Posts
ripped through bacwallow on my SS last year... t'was much fun... Mike did a great job on making all the trails flow like a dream... some natural rock/drops, but nothing woth hauling your 40lb bike there ;) but for xc it's one of the best riding spots

as stated above porcupine is closed....so please respect that and do not go there.. Ecostone bikeshop will hopefully get the rights to the place and make it good again... I'm sure if there's a small charge no one would mind ;) :cool: as it's a great, fun place to ride your bigbike.......

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buck wallow it is

Ok, I will go to Buck Wallow when this weather warm up and snow melt in that area. I hope to hook up with some body to ride. I am not familiar with the area.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Buggy? Buggy? Yep. Buggy.

Something that bugged me about buckwallow was all the buggerin' bugs! Bugger they bugged me!

Seriously - bring some deepwoods off cause the air is thick with mosquitoes. Bugspray or keep moving!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Porcupine Ridge

This also goes by another name and has a different but close access point, Copeland Forest.

These trails are alot of fun and range from wide flat to narrow river trails to killer up hills with corresponding downhills, with many logs piles etc. The harder parts are the switchback angled log piles, takes a while to learn the trails, you either get it right or end up going up and down.

These trails are more technical then average., Exit 93 turn east , then first left, 10 minutes on gravel road you will see entrance on right side.

Have fun, you can connect to Horseshoe from these trails also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I absolutely love Buckwallow. I went out there last year and it was amazing.
Mike, the owner, is the nicest guy and it's almost as though he hand cleans the trails! They're impecable.

There's trails for all kinds of riders out there. It's all on Canadian Shield so there's lots of rock obstacles.
My favourite trail was Showtime, but I also liked Eager Beaver because you could pin it through the whole thing.

I've heard the price has gone up to $6 for admission (well worth the price.)
I'll be there again a few times this year.

·
isthatbill
22 Posts
These trails are closed...

I believe Porcupine Ridge trails are closed right now. They are on land owned by Santa's Village, and their insurance skyrocketed last year, I'm assuming because of the gnarly factor involved in the trails.

Ian at ecclestone is trying to get insurance in place right now and if people are poaching the trails while they are closed it doesn't look good on the ability of bikers to "follow the rules".

These trails are amazing and I suggest to everyone to check them out once they are open again. A long travel trailbike like a heckler would rule in there.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Picard said:

Picard, my wife & I live 5 minutes from Buckwallow and practically live there weekends summer & winter ( XC Skiiing ). We are 25 minutes from The Barrens and ride there also. Here are some pics, although they do not describe how great these places really are.
The Barrens .....

Buckwallow ......

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
BlackCanoeDog said:
Picard, my wife & I live 5 minutes from Buckwallow and practically live there weekends summer & winter ( XC Skiiing ). We are 25 minutes from The Barrens and ride there also. Here are some pics, although they do not describe how great these places really are.
Snow? SNOW?!?!??!!?!?

Aarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhghghgghghghghg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(runs away screaming like a little girl) :p

Oh, and welcome to MTBR. :D

Seriously, though - great pics. Looks like a nice place to ride with great terrain diversity (except the s n o w). Thanks for sharing and inspiring (again, except the s n o w)!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW !!! those pictures are great. I am a little concern with the one which shows your wife ride down a large rock. I will try this terrain in near future. I am constrainted by gas price at the moment. When gas price drops, I will definitely head up there.

I wasn't aware that place open in the winter. How the heck could you ride in the winter over there? The snow had to be at least 3ft deep. You need a all terrain vehicle for winter.

Is it easy gettin lost up there?

·
Registered
30 Posts
TB is great for early spring and late fall riding. It's accessible very early because it's basically all rock. It's ok...lotsa flat stuff but at least it can be good and fast. Bucky's great though and Mike is a cool guy

·
Banned
640 Posts
Number 1 Post

I keep coming back here for the trails and the humour. Ride reports with pictures from all over the MTB world make my day. When they come from a place that is close enough to ride and be back home the same day, well that is enough to spur me on for a road trip. I have been told over the years that this was a good ride, but not that long. From your pics I can see that Torencebarren is worth the visit.

Picard the humour lighting Rod, your butt must be the size of a lazy boy because you have been getting spanked on MTBR since the spring and still you bend over beside the wheelbarrel full of paddles. Funny Stuff.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Picard said:
WOW !!! those pictures are great. I am a little concern with the one which shows your wife ride down a large rock. I will try this terrain in near future. I am constrainted by gas price at the moment. When gas price drops, I will definitely head up there.

I wasn't aware that place open in the winter. How the heck could you ride in the winter over there? The snow had to be at least 3ft deep. You need a all terrain vehicle for winter.

Is it easy gettin lost up there?
That picture is one of the few that is actually ASAIL (as steep as it looks) that I have seen.
You can ride in the winter but it's not nice to ride on groomed XC ski trails. If you can find packed skidoo trails they're good but usually boring. I prefer snowshoeing and XC skiing in the winter.

Buckwallow is marked and you can take a map with you if you want to do it so it's hard to get lost there.

·
Custom User Title
241 Posts
torrence barrens.

I do not know what others have experienced while riding at TB, but both times I have ridden there I got a lecture on the sensitive moss that grows on the rocks there.

I explained that it was listed in the Muskoka Trail books as for bike use and we were being carefull, but just F.Y.I.

also, it is kinda easy and short, but cool

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.