Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new HD4 which is making a popping sound (not a creak) especially when putting the power down (more so when standing and mashing). Occasionally, I hear and feel the pop over undulations in the trail. I have checked torque (specs) all linkage bolts, clevis to swingarm, upper and lower shock mount bolts. I did replace the original shock bushings with ones with tighter tolerances as there was some play in the upper bushings. I am running a Fox X2. I also checked the torque on the bottom bracket and that was good. I wonder if there is some stiction with the new bushings, enough the cause the popping? I haven't checked the headset, but I don't think it is coming from there, but I know sounds can come from many different areas. It's driving me nuts and certainly doesn't give me a warm fuzzy when I am pushing hard. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
J-Flo
1,745 Posts
You didn’t mention whether it happens only under power. If so, check the derailleur hanger. Notorious maker of noise if it isn’t clamped down tight or can move back and forth a smidge. Usually more of a creak than a pop though.

My HD3 had an annoying cracking sound coming from the seat post mount. That one was easy to fix. Then the clevis shock mount was culprit number two. Now it’s nice and quiet except when I crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Probably your upper shock bushing. I had to file mine out to free it up, as it would bind when the shock compressed. Was thinking it would just loosen up on its own. After my X2 stuck down, I decided to take a file to it. May or may not be related, but it was annoying regardless.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3-Flo, I'll double check the other areas you mentioned.

I am leaning toward the shock bushing as the culprit. It seem like the noise is coming from that area. I guess I should have kept the original bushings on the shock but was concerned about the lateral play. I don't know if the binding is damaging the shock?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a similar "pop" under load. My hd4 is 2 weeks old and have went through all pivots and torqued to spec. I was surprised that the clevis to shock bolt was barely hand tight but did not fix the issue. I have not figured out the culprit yet as it "pops" distinctly under power similar to what your describing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a similar "pop" under load. My hd4 is 2 weeks old and have went through all pivots and torqued to spec. I was surprised that the clevis to shock bolt was barely hand tight but did not fix the issue. I have not figured out the culprit yet as it "pops" distinctly under power similar to what your describing.
What shock are you running? I am almost certain it is the shock bushings much like Canucktacoma described. The "pop" I hear is most distinctive when putting the power down, but I can also sometimes hear it as the shock cycles over undulations in the trails. I may go back to the original bushings.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am running the dpx2 but I agree mine feels like it is coming from the bushing as well. I do not have any side to side play but might pull them out just to check and see if it fixes the problem

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me know if you solve it and I'll do the same. It's frustrating as I took my time building the bike to do it right. I do love how the bike rides...the HD4 is a great bike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just finished pulling my shock bushing and putting it all back together. Unfortunately it still has a pop. At this point im going to ride it for awhile and see if anything changes. Pretty bummed but doesn't seem to affect riding. Let me know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In a recent thread, someone mentioned that Fox had said the some play in the bushings was normal to prevent stiction and the play would not damage the shock. But, others had mentioned that several different bike companies (including Ibis) had received the wrong bushings from Fox for their respective bike's shocks. I let Ibis know about it and asked for guidance and they said "talk to Fox and let us know what they say". Fox sent me new bushings with tighter tolerances after I described the lateral play including a video and the shock code. I was originally concerned about the lateral play damaging the shock, but am also concerned about the stiction with the tighter bushings. I guess I am disappointed that Ibis has not provide some more guidance. On the other hand, maybe I should just accept the fact that this bike will make noise and just ride. I just don't think the stiction/binding is good for the shock and it sounds bad/damaging.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pat threads have referred to the following video for fixing what may be the issue. It sounds like in many cases, it is the shock yoke/clevis and shock bushing interface. Fixed with teflon tape. I pick up my HD4, hopefully tomorrow, and have this link bookmarked just in case.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pat threads have referred to the following video for fixing what may be the issue. It sounds like in many cases, it is the shock yoke/clevis and shock bushing interface. Fixed with teflon tape. I pick up my HD4, hopefully tomorrow, and have this link bookmarked just in case.

I've seen that video previously. Good information in it. The noise I get is a pop/binding sound and not a creak/chirp. If I recall correctly, you are also running an X2 on your HD4? If you can I'd appreciate any feedback on any issues and solutions you may have. I will make sure to circle back with any solutions I've come up with. Hopefully your ride will be trouble/noise free. The HD4 is a kick-ass bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
May or may not be the case with you but my HD4 made a ton of clicking and popping sounds until I fond out the seal collar on the dropper (ks lev si) was screwed on to tight, soon as I loosened that up the noise went away.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to double check, did you check the proper torque spec on the lower links? Also, did you try removing the bb, clean and re-grease?
Yes, I checked all torque specs on the links and also the bottom bracket/cranks.

May or may not be the case with you but my HD4 made a ton of clicking and popping sounds until I fond out the seal collar on the dropper (ks lev si) was screwed on to tight, soon as I loosened that up the noise went away.
I'll check the seat collar, I'm pretty sure it is torqued to spec.

File out a "little" of the upper mount bushing. It's just too tight for the pin to rotate freely.
Yeah, I think this is next step. A riding buddy thinks I don't have enough grease at the steerer tube/lower headset junction. So I guess I will apply so more grease there too.

Thanks all. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I feel your pain. I got my hd4 last summer and the I fought the creaking/pop noises for the whole season. Tried the seat post, headset, all the linkage etc... everything greased, torqued and the noises kept changing but they were always there. Finally it went back to the dealer ( I bought out of state) and it came back to me quiet as can be. The bike was absolutely awesome. TODAY the pop came back

Sounds like it is coming from the crank while under load, but then occasionally it will pop when the suspension compresses. Pulled the lower link, cleaned, re greased and torqued. Will get a ride in tomorrow and see what happens. I figure I will go one linkage point at a time

Awesome bike but it should not be creaking and popping. Very annoying

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.