Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been getting a popping noise coming from my left pedal / crank area. I can also feel it in the left pedal area. It maily only happens when I'm climbing. Could it be the stock pedals my Rockhopper SL came with are wearing out? Do I just need to tighten? Any suggestions for me would be great. Its more annoying than anything.

Also can anyone recommend some replacement pedals that won't give me problems down the road?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
FACTION95 said:
Recently I've been getting a popping noise coming from my left pedal / crank area. I can also feel it in the left pedal area. It maily only happens when I'm climbing. Could it be the stock pedals my Rockhopper SL came with are wearing out? Do I just need to tighten? Any suggestions for me would be great. Its more annoying than anything.

Also can anyone recommend some replacement pedals that won't give me problems down the road?
Could be any of hundreds of things that must be checked one at a time. Anything from worn cleats to a loose bolt.

Other pedals? Probably not needed. And no part will never give you problems in the future.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
shiggy said:
And no part will never give you problems in the future.
Wise words...

Sometime dripping water over a moving part or clamped area can silence a creak temporarily and help to narrow down the culprit needing cleaning, lube, tightening. A pop could be a bad BB bearing, or, or, or...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The specs for my crank and BB:

CRANKSET: Shimano FC-M442, Octalink Spline
BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm

So if it is my BB or cranks would this be worth replacing with the same parts or should I upgrade to a stronger setup? I weigh about 215lbs so I'm a heavy rider.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you have a spare set of pedals around, put a new pedal onto the crank and that will pretty much tell you if it's the problem. If not, you have some more investigating to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.