Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres the story. Whenever im peddling hard on flatland, my chain pops( i think it my chain) and if im pushing down it gives out under the pressure. Now i would have a problem with this, but im tired of popping my knee cap out of place.Any idea of what it could be, ive adjusted the low, and high gear limit screws, O and i have no third gear, never used it do i took it off

any help appreciated.

·
Too busy looking good
361 Posts
My best guess is your chain is not at the same "wear level" as your cassette and/or chain rings.

Drive train components wear - chains effectively stretch and teeth on your cogs and chain rings increase slightly in pitch. Ideally they wear together and remain compatible, that is the chain stretch matches the pitch change of cog/chain ring teeth.

Have you changed some drive train components lately? Maybe a new chain on an old cassette and chain rings?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
heh, dont know why i didnt think of that, its probably the chain, ive just rebuilt the derailleur and checked the cassetes, so ya it probably is the chain. Im thinking of buying the Wipperman 9sp Connex 909 Color Chain. Yes it may be for the shimano 9 speed, but ill ask them the length and width, and go see if it fits.

·
Registered
857 Posts
That's one of the most dangerous conditions your bike can be in IMO, don't ride that thing dood.

Hopefully you don't have to do a full drivetrain update(cranks,chain, cassette).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay new question, ive removed the third(largest) gear on the front, but now when i shift to 2nd the chain pops off, ive already tightened the cable as much as i can, but it still seems to push over... any idead??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.