Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
{Believeland}
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just bought a used 2009 specialized p1 to ride at ray's this season. Before he sold it though, he had installed a deity vendetta crankset. While riding the bike though, i occasionally hear a very loud creak/pop noise (which only happens maybe 4-8 times within a 6 hour session), and when it occurs it almost seems as though it skips for a half second. When i go to inspect the problem though everything seems fine, and no matter how hard i crank it to try to recreate the sound, nothing happens and everyting is completely normal. It seems to be occuring at random:skep: I know that my chain tension is good, and i am pretty positive it is coming from the BB or crankset... everything on the bike is new, including the chain. Should i be worried? Any help or ideas?

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
have you checked everything for correct tightness? sometimes new crank sets loosen very slowly and need to be checked periodically, especially if you're riding hard. i know the cranks on my eastern have come loose a couple times when the bike was brand new, nothing majorly loose but a pop here and there, and when i get home, they needed a little twist of the wrench.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Check the obvious like the rear hub cassette/driver and chainline. Check for a broken chain link or a bent chainring tooth. Then take out the BB and clean it and reassemble. One of those things is most likely the culprit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.