Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do squats with the bar on my back. It seems to help climbing on the fat bike as I can stay in high gear on the bike paths.

Two weeks ago, I added 20lbs to see what it felt like and eventually rose to do 5 reps at that weight. A few nights ago, my warm up set had some cramping feeling in the right quadricep. It went away as I increased weight to my normal final set. Then I tried to add another 20lbs to see what that felt like.

First rep at that new weight and something popped in my quadricep and that sharp cramp like pain hit me. It just hurt a lot. I pushed the squat back up since I couldn't drop the bar in my garage. Then limped for the rest of the night. next day wasn't bad and only hurt in some standing up moves or when starting to walk. Two days later, I rode my trike on a bike trail and didn't feel much pain. Next night did my fat bike with some tenderness towards the end of the ride. Today, there is a three inch by two inch dark bruise on my thigh just below where the pain was (and sorta still is, tender-ish).

Did I tear something or just pull a muscle? The pop I heard or felt, I'm not sure if I heard it, has me worried a bit. It seems to be healing pretty good.

Plight of getting into fitness after 50. Need more warm up, stretches, and take gains slower, I guess. "I don't feel fifty."

·
9 lives
22,040 Posts
I can only comment based on your description. Without seeing your form during a back squat... loading up the weight too quickly on the bar could have caused your injury especially if your squat form was bad to begin with eg leaning forward (dropping your chest) , knees rotating inward, etc and something misaligned. Increase in the weight was too much if your technique was poor

Find a physio therapist and work on recovery so you don't damage or reinjure your leg. When you are ready have someone (personal trainer) to do a form check when you do squats

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like the muscle got some tears that are healing quickly. Just sections of the muscle that where not stretched enough or cramping on their own. It isn't enough weight for something serious like a tendon tear. Thank God.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.