Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a nice ride yesterday I was in the middle of loading up my bike when a fellow biker was arriving. He was riding a nice Jamis with what looked like a nice Fox Talas fork. He unloads his bike gets on does a warm up lap, when next to my car his bike makes a "pop" sound. I go over and we are looking over his bike to find that he blew out his fork. I dont know much about these forks, all I know it has to suck to fix/replace it. Plus he just got there and had to load his bike back up. You could tell he was upset. I felt bad for him.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
superotto80 said:
After a nice ride yesterday I was in the middle of loading up my bike when a fellow biker was arriving. He was riding a nice Jamis with what looked like a nice Fox Talas fork. He unloads his bike gets on does a warm up lap, when next to my car his bike makes a "pop" sound. I go over and we are looking over his bike to find that he blew out his fork. I dont know much about these forks, all I know it has to suck to fix/replace it. Plus he just got there and had to load his bike back up. You could tell he was upset. I felt bad for him.
Yeah, that sucks.

We were on our way, about 1/2 way to a ride about 1.5 hours from home. Called a friend who was on his way to meet us from another town. As were talking, he let out an "oh SH!T!!"

"What!?" We yelled, afraid something had happened.

"I just looked at my rack on the back of my car, and I forgot my bike!!"

:D

fp

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Or the guy I saw at the end of a ride as I rode into the parking lot as he was just backing his car out....over his rear wheel he forgot to put in the car. I tried to get his attention but just not in time....

G

·
i have left my camelbak behind (full of tools, and an expensive rain jacket to boot) after a ride.

i've lost another expensive rain jacket when i left it on a trailside bench during a safety break. (that might explain why i left it there)

on another occasion, i almost left my front wheel by the side of the road after pre riding a race course. another racer was kind enough to stash it behind some brush and pointed it out to us when we drove back to retrieve it.

one of my buddies has forgotten his shoes not once, but twice on rides. both times he went to a nearby LBS and purchased new shoes.

yet another riding buddy cranked down the seatpost clamp on his new seven and broke it during the middle of a ride. he had to ride back to his car with the saddle level with his top tube.

i guess the moral is that "sh*t happens"!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The mountain trails in my area finally shed the last bits of snow and had some time to dry out, so last Friday I took the day off work (**cough cough**) and went for a ride.

As it was the first real ride of the season and I wanted to get an early start (I had things to do later on that night) I packed up all my things the night before so I could wake up, roll out of bed, and grab breakfast on the road. It was a bit chilly that morning, so I threw on a pair of pants for the drive out.

Well, I pull up to the trailhead, unload the bike, and go to grab the bag of clothes in the back seat of the vehical to get changed...DAMMIT, I forgot my bag of clothes...and I'm wearing fairly baggy pants which are sure to get caught in the chain.

Not wanting to have to drive all the way home to get my clothes (a huge PITA as well as a certainty that I would be late for plans later that night) I did what any rational person would do in my circumstance - I rode the trail in my boxers! Thankfully I didn't drive out commando :thumbsup:

Got a few entertaining comments from hikers that day :eekster:

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Sounds like ME a coupla' weeks ago...

I upgraded to my old XT rear to X9 with new shifters, chain, cassette and I'm ALL exited to try out the new stuff. I gave it a ride on the street to check out the shifting was OK and the next morning I drove almost 2 hours to the trailhead. I was only 3 miles in when I hit a dip busting my der hanger and twisting my NEW X9 like a pretzal!:madman: . I had cut the new chain to the same length as my old and apparently it was too short and I was "just lucky" that I was running this chain length for the last 2 years and never smushed the suspension real good when in the big big combo.

Anyway I did some measuring while simulating the suspension compressed and found I was 3 links too short...I assumed the old chain length was OK and I got burned!

·
Registered
54 Posts
i started in on a trail about a week ago, went back to the car to grab my pump(just incase) and must not have zippered my under saddle bag all the way... About 2 miles in i actually noticed the bag completely unzippered with only the xtra tube in it, missing my car keys, a small leatherman tool, and baggy w/ xtra links in it. Rode the trail back to my car looking and only found the bag w/ links. I started to ride back in on the trail and about 30ft from my car, there they were in the grass. I was so relieved and lucky to find them, as my spare set was almost 2hrs away and i had a wedding to attend that afternoon. Damn right i'll be triple checking everything now!

·
Registered
126 Posts
drove 2 and a half hours to do some amazing trail riding only to have my buddies real der hanger snap as we do the first uphill. Obviously we just made his bike single speed for the day. It didn't work phenomenal but it was better than going home. Best part was he goes home and shows his wife and says "The frame broke, I guess I need a new bike" and she let him pick up a new Scott Genius. Win win situation.

·
Registered
534 Posts
45 minute drive with two other riders and I forgot my helmet... Yeah, I'm never going to live that one down.

I tried to squeeze an after work SS ride in with my brother. We got everything loaded up in a hury, get to the trailhead and start putting stuff together... At which point he asked me where my front wheel was.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Last summer, I got to the parking lot of my local trails, only to discover my front tire was flat. No biggie, since I always carry patches and an extra tube. Well, except for that day apparently. :( I guess I'd cleaned out my CamelBak and didn't get everything back in it. So, 10 mile drive home, new tube in my tire, 10 mile drive to the park. I felt worn out even before I had a chance to hit the trails.

Bikinfoolferlife said:
Or the guy I saw at the end of a ride as I rode into the parking lot as he was just backing his car out....over his rear wheel he forgot to put in the car.
There have been so many times I've begun to back up, only to slam on my brakes as I whip my head around thinking, "Crap, did I put my front tire in the hatch?!?" Fortunately, I always have. It still gets be occasionally, though.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
Blew out the Swinger-3 shock on MY Jamis, riding home from work. Had to fab another system, with an undamped crap coil-over, a spacer made from a swing-link from an old bike, and plumber's strap. Still in place after 10-1/2 months, looking for the best replacement still -- no more manitou for me. Can't get the seal kit, can't get the spring kit for the fork, and no communication with them AT ALL! They can bite me.

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Similar story...my son's hockey team makes it to the championship game. The Captain forgot his gear bag. Had to scrounge extra stuff from the other guys & his parents bought the rest in the pro shop. They lost.

earlier in the season we played at the same rink. we go to get my sons gear out of the back of my truck & find that I left the tailgate open. Both of his sticks are gone as well as both of mine (nearly $500 worth). Fortunately his gear bag & goal pads were still in there. :madman:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.