Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had a great time @ poor farms this weekend with a couple of friends and my GF. Also one top of that the LBS was kind enough to loan me a brand new Gary Fisher Cake to play on. Poor Farms wasn’t the place I really wanted to try it out out, but I really didn’t have much choice. Got to try out the new style shifters and have to say I’m not really impressed with them. Specially since you have to use two fingers to up shift the front derailleur. The disk brakes were great and the bike itself was was a lot of fun to play on. It was my first time with a real FS bike. In some was I could tell my riding was improved some, but at the same time I couldn’t feel the trail Definitely not like my Sugar.

The BIG guy was there and was a little more prepared to ride this time out. He’s been riding more on his own. I’m finding that he’s turning into a bike addict as the hollers and whoops he was letting out will attest too. But because of his size, he’s a bit rough on his bike. In fact by the end of the ride, we found out he slightly bent his seat post!!! My GF was also having a great time. She did end up riding off of one the little bridges in to the creek. Well, I thought to myself that she was now turned off to riding. Not so. She got up cussed a little and got right back on her bike and told me “lets go!!!” Damn I love her!! She got a nice bruise on her knee and is a bit sore but I can tell she is starting to learn. So far she hasn’t told me no whenever I ask if she wants a ride. She won’t go by herself, but will ride with me whenever I ask.

Well, I know this isn’t a great write up, but it’s late and I’m pretty tired tonight. Have a good ride ya all!!
:D

BTW, My large friend just hit the LBS tent sale this weekend and bought some shoes (first time), shorts and other things. I think I created a monster!!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
That Trek frame is huge, how big is he? That fork looks like it's been in the drier too long. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree....

Acme54321 said:
Why are you guys walking down that sweet hill?

I'd hit that thing at full tilt!

;)

I tried to get them to ride it, but this is a VERY beginer crowd here!! I did A LOT of waiting. Most of them have only been on a few rides and are still getting "broken in". The fact is they are riding!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
I think it's great you are introducing them to MTBing. I wish I could get more people up my way to catch the bug. Before you know it they will be riding all terrain, I started out the same way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
minkhiller said:
I think it's great you are introducing them to MTBing. I wish I could get more people up my way to catch the bug. Before you know it they will be riding all terrain, I started out the same way.

10 out of 10 to your girlfriend. Hang on to her mate and for christs sake get her some armour. The good ones are thin on the ground :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he's something like.....

minkhiller said:
That Trek frame is huge, how big is he? That fork looks like it's been in the drier too long. :D
6' 8", 280lbs. I've been kinda worried about that rear wheel on his bike, but seems to be holding up just fine. Like I stated above though he did end up slightly bending the seat post. *lol* He's turning out to love this sport. As far as the bike goes, it was the largest thing we could find in his price range. That thing is freakishly HUGH!!!! Just happened that the LBS had it in stock when we went looking. It was the only one they had that would fit him. I'm 6' and I can't lean over the handle bars to undo the front skewer. When I get on it I feel like a little kid who's trying to ride a "big boys" bike again. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
great ride report! did you get to take the cake on that one ladder jump? its not that big, but its fun and would be the closest thing to a challenge for that rig at PF.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
Nice pics C&B! When you get a moment, could I get you to post your impressions of the Cake? I'm starting to save up for a FS rig, and I'm very interested in that particular one.

Thx!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Big Guy

Get your friend on a 29er. I am 6'5 220. 29ers are built for people like him and me. Get him over on the 29er board here and have him test ride a couple of the XL 29ers. I
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
minkhiller said:
I wish I could get more people up my way to catch the bug.
Are you sure that would be good thing?

I can think of many areas where it wouldn't be.
 

·
Still chuggin' along
Joined
·
859 Posts
TryAndStopMe said:
great ride report! did you get to take the cake on that one ladder jump? its not that big, but its fun and would be the closest thing to a challenge for that rig at PF.
Where is that? I've been there a bunch of times but haven't seen anything like it.

Great ride report! SOunds like you guys had a great time. After seeing the pictures, I'm really dying for a ride there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
kpicha said:
Where is that? I've been there a bunch of times but haven't seen anything like it.

Great ride report! SOunds like you guys had a great time. After seeing the pictures, I'm really dying for a ride there!
kristina,

if you start out on the trailhead that is a little ways past the port-o-potties its part of one of the lines that runs down the big hill. sorry i can't be more specific (there are about 15 different lines that crisscross up and down that hill as you know). its one of the lines that doesn't shoot straight down the hill, and kinda meanders to the left as you fly down it.

how have you been by the way? i haven't ridden with you since wakefield ages ago. i think it was you, dom, mark and i that night.

your pal,
chance
 

·
Still chuggin' along
Joined
·
859 Posts
Hi Chance,

Yep, that was me then. I finally found out what the loose headset feel was- my fork bushings were worn. I haven't been on as many night rides lately as I would like. It seems that everytime I'm ready to walk out the door something else pops up. I'm hoping to go tonight. The last one I was on, I slipped on some ice and fell down the ravine. That was pretty interesting! :) I felt bad for Joe trying to pull me out of there with all of the icy water. Have you been going on the night rides?

Anyway, thanks for the directions on PF. I have a general idea of where that is then. Is it somewhat new? Or is there more territory I should be exploring? :)

Cheers,
Kristina
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
waketink

Kristina,

I'm not sure if its new or not. I rode at PF for the first time about 2 months ago because all of the trails up here were swamps and PF was nice and dry (it takes me an hour and a half to get there so i usually only go there when there aren't any other options).

was it joe romano that pulled you out of the creek? i rode with him last wednesday night at wakefield. that was the first nightride i had been on this year. i'll be at more nightrides now that waketink has dried up a bit!

your pal,
chance

kpicha said:
Hi Chance,

Yep, that was me then. I finally found out what the loose headset feel was- my fork bushings were worn. I haven't been on as many night rides lately as I would like. It seems that everytime I'm ready to walk out the door something else pops up. I'm hoping to go tonight. The last one I was on, I slipped on some ice and fell down the ravine. That was pretty interesting! :) I felt bad for Joe trying to pull me out of there with all of the icy water. Have you been going on the night rides?

Anyway, thanks for the directions on PF. I have a general idea of where that is then. Is it somewhat new? Or is there more territory I should be exploring? :)

Cheers,
Kristina
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Where in VA is poorfarm?

Poorfarm looks kind of like Walnut outside of Charlottesville, which I love to ride. Where is it?

Bob
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top