Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
ya beat me to the post.

preaching to the choir here....but way uncool to shuttle 'undocumented' trails thru a private neighborhood.

buncha a dumbasses....

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
Hey - now a map! I was wondering where the shuttling was occurring - had some suspicions, but now I know.

(those that know me, know that I'd never shuttle this)

Sure, they can now start shuttling to Empire Grade (as the article states), but that appears to be 4X the distance.

·
Blargen
144 Posts
Saw this one coming...

A rider went down last week on one of the more popular downhill trailzs and apparently had to be evacuated by the county. With so much heat already coming from the neighborhood association, I figured the sheriff's dept. would be involved soon.

I pedal up to these trails and have shuttled these runs a couple times, always from Empire. I did take a look at the Forest Lakes subdivision once and would never think of shuttling there. It is a very quite community, with narrow, privately maintained roads. Totally seems like the wrong thing to do.

Hopefully folks can build up the muscle mass to pedal to the top, or spend another 15 minutes on the road and shuttle from Empire.

·
singletrack bound
3,003 Posts
Man I just can't believe it....what are these riders thinking! I have an old friend who has lived up in Forest Lakes for decades and I'd be pissed too if tons of riders and vehicles started running up and down the road hourly! If you have ever seen that little community you would know what I'm talking about.
Pedal it or give up.

·
PMarsh Thumbs Up!
1,288 Posts
Wolfe said he met four bikers from Los Gatos who were respectable young men who said they bought their bikes for $8,000, and he enjoyed watching them ride down the hillside.
At least they recognized that everyone isn't bad haha.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,209 Posts
Interesting how the person talks about the price of the bikes. It's completely irrelevant to the issue at hand, but yet it was mentioned as if it made a difference.

·
default title
537 Posts
Nice to see this get some more press...even if it's the Press-Banner.
For those who weren't paying attention to the kerfuffle from Forest Lakes, there's not much commercial shuttling, but some has been documented by property owners up there. Shuttling traffic has been happening for years (10+ some say), but has picked up in the last few. Mostly it's "respectable young men" with Dakine pickups. Tension has escalated from both sides (shuttlers and property owners) this year. Sheriff dept. was at first completely ignoring the situation that was developing.

Glengarry is a county road up to a point, then private roughly at the name change to Toll House Gulch with the owners on THG and then only at the top does it switch to Forest Lakes division.

·
default title
537 Posts
Also, from the board minutes from FL, it looks like they're thinking of putting in a gate.
Monthly Minutes (currently posted is August)

·
#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
407 Posts
This wouldn't be an issue if we had shuttle-able trails that were legal anywhere in the area. I love how California is so progressive, but also so anti-downhill. Those touting "earn your turns", learn how to DH.

Also, lol @ all the DH hate in here in mtbr, as well. Derp.

·
singletrack bound
3,003 Posts
Thanks Urban

I don't hate downhilling/SS/road/cyclocross/track/hell, even uni cycles......

just use some common sense

that's all I'm sayin'

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
What a great use of taxpayer resources. They can't seem to do anything about the junkies from shooting up near Pogonip but they can run down illegal cyclists.
County land owners *****ing about people trespassing ends up making noise. MBOSC posted a note about this back in June -- Neighbor conflict: Shuttling at Forest Lakes Must Stop! | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC) You aren't going to tell me that first photo is just a couple of downhillers.

Santa Cruz has a problem in that there have been no new trails in years. There is a growing population of riders and the mix of local politics (Sierra Club/Friends of Pogonip) and funding (State Parks) hasn't helped that. However, pissing off a relatively small private community? Yeah, that's a pretty awesome way to engender good will towards the sport.

If you want local downhill, the best local, legal option is Demo. If you are going to ride things you shouldn't, do so discretely and encourage others to be on good behavior.

:nono:

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
This wouldn't be an issue if we had shuttle-able trails that were legal anywhere in the area. I love how California is so progressive, but also so anti-downhill. Those touting "earn your turns", learn how to DH.

Also, lol @ all the DH hate in here in mtbr, as well. Derp.
It's not a DH issue. It's a disrespectful idiot issue.

·
#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
407 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Fact is, there is a demand for legal DH that you can shuttle. Nothing offers that. Unsure how plenty of other communities can get their act together and build awesome stuff focused for gravity riding, but we cant.

Teton Freedom Riders
whimpsmtb.org
brmba.org
Wasatch Area Freeride Trails Association
NSMBA | North Shore Mountain Bike Association
None of those places are in CA. I share in your frustration to some extent but comparing these places to the greater bay area is apples and oranges. It sucks but it's true.

I agree that there is a demand for legit DH in NorCal but it's tough sledding around these parts unless you have a couple hundred acres you want to share.

·
I just wanna go fast!
1,910 Posts
Man I just can't believe it....what are these riders thinking! I have an old friend who has lived up in Forest Lakes for decades and I'd be pissed too if tons of riders and vehicles started running up and down the road hourly! If you have ever seen that little community you would know what I'm talking about.
Pedal it or give up.
This isn't a DH only or even a shuttle only issue, read the bottom of the article:

People can also reach the slopes from Empire Grade Road, above the UCSC campus, but Wolfe hopes that discontinuing the shuttles through Forest Lakes will cut back on riding in the area.
“It looked like so much fun,” Wolfe said. “But with the damage being done, we just can’t have that. I just hope state parks can do something.”

Looks like their stance is that ALL riding in the area is damaging to the water shed. If you pedal up then you're still seen as part of the problem. Everyone should keep that in mind before they throw another segment of the cycling population under the bus.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts