Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a set of the I-9 wheels and I have a few questions. They are intended for use on the soon-to-be-resurrected RFX that I'll be using as a lift assisted descender/heavy duty trailbike. I am just not sure if I should be looking at the Freeride or the Enduro model. I weigh about 195 and tend to spend more of my time on the ground than in the air these days. However, when I'm on the ground it involves barreling through rock gardens at high speed whenever possible. I'd like to save almost a pound and use the Enduro wheels, but not at the expense of having underbuilt wheels. Is anyone using the Enduro wheels on the RFX/Pack? Also, is anyone having a problem with the cassette body getting badly munched by the cassette?

Thanks,
Paul

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Nope, no one is using them on a Pack:p Just me, JNC, FXrob and maybe more.

Mine have held up well, so far. I got the Enduro and DT5.1 rims. I haven't checked the freewheel as I put a new SRAM cassette on when they were new and haven't had a need to pull it yet.

Based on your use description I'd go with the Freeride and find a better rim choice than the DT6.1. Before you pull the trigger you should call and talk to the guys at I9 and get their opinion. Fred and Jeff are great guys and can make the best reccommendation for you.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
I've been using a set of Enduro I-9 wheels on my Pack for about 6 months now and I love them. I ride that bike very aggressively, although I only weigh about 165lbs w/gear. I do like to do some drops but nothing bigger than 5ft for me. They have held up extremely well, only had a spoke come loose on me in the back but after re-tensioning and truing them they have been fine since. I'd say depending on your weight you'd be fine with the 5.1rims that come on the Enduro wheels......and they are VERY stiff laterally, I can't feel them flexing at all under my weight. I haven't taken my cassette off so I can't answer your question about the hub getting chewed up. The hub has performed flawlessly though, get the 6 pawl version if you end up buying them ;)

Edit, sorry just noted you said you weigh 195. I'd follow Sig's advice and call them up, I certainly don't think you have to worry about the Enduro hubs but you may want a different rim choice perhaps.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
...is there really a difference in the hubs between the different models? I thought it was just rim selection...? Anyway, I got the "enduro" wheels (I guess) w/ the Mavic 823 rims & 10mm TA rear/ 20mm TA front hubs. Other than the wheelset weighing 100gm MORE than the Hadley/ Mavic D3.1 it replaced, I am pleased with them. They are definitely very stiff feeling (I weigh ~225#), but tend to be rather loud (both spokes & hub). My Hadley is quiet as a mouse by comparison. Only time will tell how they hold up, but I intend to find out for sure :D

PS. don't get caught up in all the rainbow poofta hype....just go straight ninja:ihih:

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...is there really a difference in the hubs between the different models? I thought it was just rim selection...? Anyway, I got the "enduro" wheels (I guess) w/ the Mavic 823 rims & 10mm TA rear/ 20mm TA front hubs. Other than the wheelset weighing 100gm MORE than the Hadley/ Mavic D3.1 it replaced, I am pleased with them. They are definitely very stiff feeling (I weigh ~225#), but tend to be rather loud (both spokes & hub). My Hadley is quiet as a mouse by comparison. Only time will tell how they hold up, but I intend to find out for sure :D

PS. don't get caught up in all the rainbow poofta hype....just go straight ninja:ihih:
There is a noticble difference in the XC and enduro hubs but I'm not sure about the FR model. I think the spokes get bigger as you go up, maybe???

I just ride 'em, WTF do I know...:confused:

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
SSINGA said:
There is a noticble difference in the XC and enduro hubs but I'm not sure about the FR model. I think the spokes get bigger as you go up, maybe???

I just ride 'em, WTF do I know...:confused:
I have the Enduro with 5.1 rims, am stoked thus far. Have had Hadleys and my other wheel set is CK and Bonty Mustangs. Am lovign the I9's, hook up real well, stiff as, not loads of time on them yet to really tell, that will take 12 months. SSINGA will beat me to that, will wait to hear his thoughts............... A pic for medicinal reasons...

Attachments

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to call I-9 tomorrow for their input. I am just trying to decide if a 5.1 rim is enough for the intended use on the RFX. I have them on my Spot now with Hope Pro-IIs and they are great.

And oh yeah, Whafe, that Moto-Lite is beautiful.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
2TurnersNotEnough said:
I'm looking at getting a set of the I-9 wheels and I have a few questions. They are intended for use on the soon-to-be-resurrected RFX that I'll be using as a lift assisted descender/heavy duty trailbike. I am just not sure if I should be looking at the Freeride or the Enduro model. I weigh about 195 and tend to spend more of my time on the ground than in the air these days. However, when I'm on the ground it involves barreling through rock gardens at high speed whenever possible. I'd like to save almost a pound and use the Enduro wheels, but not at the expense of having underbuilt wheels. Is anyone using the Enduro wheels on the RFX/Pack? Also, is anyone having a problem with the cassette body getting badly munched by the cassette?

Thanks,
Paul
You've answered your own question:

"lift assisted" = build strong. You won't feel that extra pound on the chair lift.

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
2TurnersNotEnough said:
am just trying to decide if a 5.1 rim is enough for the intended use on the RFX. QUOTE]

if youre freeriding you might want to go with the 6.1. the 5.1 seem kinda soft i just bent my front 5.1 landing sideways from a 3 footer with my 5 spot. my lbs did there best to true it but its still pretty wacked. :(

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
SSINGA said:
Nope, no one is using them on a Pack:p Just me, JNC, FXrob and maybe more.

Mine have held up well, so far. I got the Enduro and DT5.1 rims. I haven't checked the freewheel as I put a new SRAM cassette on when they were new and haven't had a need to pull it yet.

Based on your use description I'd go with the Freeride and find a better rim choice than the DT6.1. Before you pull the trigger you should call and talk to the guys at I9 and get their opinion. Fred and Jeff are great guys and can make the best reccommendation for you.
I talked with Jeff, and he said that his race team is running the 5.1's on their DH rigs and they are holding up better than the 6.1's. Sounds odd, but real world testing is what I want. so, I have the Enduro wheelset coming for my RFX with the 5.1's.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
aappling72 said:
I talked with Jeff, and he said that his race team is running the 5.1's on their DH rigs and they are holding up better than the 6.1's. Sounds odd, but real world testing is what I want. so, I have the Enduro wheelset coming for my RFX with the 5.1's.
FWIW....The entire Yeti DH squad at the Sugar race was running the 5.1 rim also.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
SSINGA said:
Mine = approx 4 weeks. I have seen tales of 9 week waits. A call to I9 is the only true way to tell.
...mine was 9 weeks. I think it may have been longer due to the 823 rims & 10mm TA.

FYI...to those ordering the 10mm TA version of the rear, it does not include an axle....so have one lined up. The hadley 10mm axle works fine.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
xjbebop said:
...aside from big bling factor, do the I9's have any advantages over, say, CK hubs???
Price?? Performance?? Durability?? ...????
Very good question xjbebop. I still have a CK wheelset and have used Hadleys. Aside as you say form the bling factor...

Price is up there with CK, perhaps slightly more

Performance, thus far am rating the performance high, the engagement for me is intsant, to put it as a stat compared to CK, would be hard, I feel I can kinda say I think it is slightly better, not alot in it I guess, but better..

Durability, have not had them long enough yet, they had better be, SSINGA has had is almost the longest that I can think of, am sure soem will say whom have had them longer though.......

I went with them to have a change from CK.................

Attachments

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
xjbebop said:
...aside from big bling factor, do the I9's have any advantages over, say, CK hubs???
Price?? Performance?? Durability?? ...????
Price - it's up there.

Performance - equal to if not slightly better. A little less drag and no break-in period with constant bearing preload adjustment. The spoke / hub combo builds a very stiff wheel. It feels like more power is going into propulsion than into flex. The 6 pawl (120 point engagement) is extremly quick and slightly quieter than my CK's.

Duribility - so far so good. FXRob has had his the longest on the Turner forum. The guys at I9 said they tested / refined these things for 2 years in Pisgah before bringing them to Market. Ask the duribility question again in a few years.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.