Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, a few friends will be heading down to AR for three days in October. We're planning on splitting the three days between Ponca/Buffalo and Mt. Nebo.

We definitely want one day shuttling the downhill at Ponca and one day at Mt. Nebo. I was curious if you guys would recommend spending two days at Mt. Nebo or spend the floating day riding the non-shuttled trails at Buffalo?

Any thoughts? Would also appreciate any lodging or restaurant suggestions in those two areas. Many thanks!

· Registered
4,727 Posts
This is a win-win situation. Ponca and Nebo are more machine built and flow type trails. The Upper Buffalo Headwater trails are remote single track. Depends what type of riding, climbing, and remoteness your after. You can’t go wrong on any of the three. The Upper Buffalo trails are some of my favorite in the state. Should still be some elk bugling there in October too. And if it’s late October, could be some fantastic foliage too

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We definitely like old school techy singletrack, so Upper Buffalo might be right up our alley. Are there any particular trails or specific routes we should consider if we ride there? We may not be able to ride it all in one day.

Thanks for the feedback!

· Registered
4,727 Posts
I like to park on Cave mtn road and take Buffalo creek trail down into the valley and from there you can’t get on a bad trail IMO. They’re all good just depending on how difficult of a trail you desire. Trails are marked and signage is good all over the UBH

· Registered
3,538 Posts
This is a win-win situation. Ponca and Nebo are more machine built and flow type trails. The Upper Buffalo Headwater trails are remote single track. Depends what type of riding, climbing, and remoteness your after. You can't go wrong on any of the three. The Upper Buffalo trails are some of my favorite in the state. Should still be some elk bugling there in October too. And if it's late October, could be some fantastic foliage too
I don't think I'd classify Ponca as machine built flow trails. There is some nasty, sketchy, gnarly stuff out there. It's probably the closest you'll get to Windrock between the Apps and the Rockies.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,727 Posts
I don't think I'd classify Ponca as machine built flow trails. There is some nasty, sketchy, gnarly stuff out there. It's probably the closest you'll get to Windrock between the Apps and the Rockies.

You're right concerning the black lines. I meant it doesn't have the remote backcountry single track feel. Definitely some rowdy lines there, especially if you like big drops. The blue line at Ponca I definitely consider machine cut flow for the majority of the run. Mule Kicker and Skull Cracker not so

· Registered
3,538 Posts
You're right concerning the black lines. I meant it doesn't have the remote backcountry single track feel. Definitely some rowdy lines there, especially if you like big drops
Oh yeah, definitely not that experience at all. It's also important to point out that while there are shuttles getting to them is a slog, especially on the bike needed out there.

· Registered
312 Posts
Plan to spend some time at Mount Nebo, plenty of all types of riding. Big downhills hill lines on the Chickalah Downhill and Hayes Creek, Gnar tech on Lizard Tail, the Chickalah Loop is just plan fun flow with rock sections and huge views. Miller's Goat is just a bunch of fun. You can camp trailside on Miller's Goat (call the park for into), Check with Jackelope Cycling in Dardanelle for bike needs and other local info.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, unfortunately, some unexpected medical issues in the family caused me to proactively delay the trip. I'm still planning on going, but it will probably be in November.

I'll definitely report back when we make it down!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.