Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet the New Siskiu D24 Dual Suspension Kids Bike

It looks like Polygon is coming out swinging with their new Sikiu D24 and D24X full suspension 24 (26 convertible) bikes! $1300 for the D24 and $1700 for the D24X. For the extra $500 you get X-Fusion suspension (from Suntour), mostly Deore drivetrain (from Microshift), folding bead tubeless tires and a dropper post. Both are being listed right at 30 lbs.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As the first to comment on my own post...

I think if I were looking at this bike right now, I would probably try to spend the extra $500 for the D24X. But at $1,700, I start to wonder if the YT Jeffsy Primus at $2000 isn't still the better deal. 2 lbs lighter, the wheel and tire package and especially the suspension seem like they'd be worth the extra $300. Lack of a dropper post seems to be the biggest miss on the Jeffsy Primus by comparison.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Freaking Polygon is killing it these days. Their adult Siskui T8 is ridiculously nice for 2500$ (SLX/Fox Suspension etc) and these are cool too. If I was spending 1700$ I'd spend 2k$ to get the YT bike for sure with the sick wheels and suspension (the JUnit forks are just on an entirely other level). However the 1300$ is pretty damn good for the price! The 1700$ isn't bad for the price either and seems a step ahead of the Transition Ripcord (which has crap drive train, mile long cranks and crappy fork). I like that the cranks are all 140mm and the backends are proper length with a solid 66d hta...that's good geometry imo. Nothings perfect but considering that the Norco's, Commencals, Chromags etc all all pushing 3k$, here comes Polygon and puts out a solid looking bike at really low price point.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@svinyard your assessment is right along with my own. It is SO much bike for $1300! The upgrades for the $1700 model are tempting, but like you I'd opt for the YT if I were to spend that much.

I know brands love to have plenty of SKUs (build specs), but I don't see a need for the two here, personally. I get hitting that $1299 price point is going to catch a lot of attention. But, give me the D24 build, swap the tires for tubeless folding beads and TranzX dropper from the D24X for $1399-$1449 and call it a day. At least those are items that are simple enough to swap out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Freaking Polygon is killing it these days. Their adult Siskui T8 is ridiculously nice for 2500$ (SLX/Fox Suspension etc) and these are cool too. If I was spending 1700$ I'd spend 2k$ to get the YT bike for sure with the sick wheels and suspension (the JUnit forks are just on an entirely other level). However the 1300$ is pretty damn good for the price! The 1700$ isn't bad for the price either and seems a step ahead of the Transition Ripcord (which has crap drive train, mile long cranks and crappy fork). I like that the cranks are all 140mm and the backends are proper length with a solid 66d hta...that's good geometry imo. Nothings perfect but considering that the Norco's, Commencals, Chromags etc all all pushing 3k$, here comes Polygon and puts out a solid looking bike at really low price point.
How big of a deal is the mechanical brakes on the $1300 one for a kid? I would have thought a $1300 bike would be hydraulic, so I wonder if they did it to differentiate between the 2 lines even more.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How big of a deal is the mechanical brakes on the $1300 one for a kid? I would have thought a $1300 bike would be hydraulic, so I wonder if they did it to differentiate between the 2 lines even more.
I didn't even realize that the D24 came with mechanical brakes! I saw they used a different model Tektro, but just assumed that any kids bike costing this much surely came with hydraulic brakes.

A well dialed mechanical brake can work pretty well. I rode for years on a set of Avid BB7s (still have them on my rigid 29er). I'd guess they will probably be fine for a kid not who isn't a hard charger or doesn't ride terrain that is demanding on brakes. Still, it is a bit of let down to see the bike equipped with mechanical brakes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I didn't even realize that the D24 came with mechanical brakes! I saw they used a different model Tektro, but just assumed that any kids bike costing this much surely came with hydraulic brakes.

A well dialed mechanical brake can work pretty well. I rode for years on a set of Avid BB7s (still have them on my rigid 29er). I'd guess they will probably be fine for a kid not who isn't a hard charger or doesn't ride terrain that is demanding on brakes. Still, it is a bit of let down to see the bike equipped with mechanical brakes.
Yea I was a bit surprised, but wasn't sure if I was indexing too much on hydraulic = better and everything else isn't, especially for kids.

Maybe it's related to supply issues where they couldn't get enough hydraulic so ended up with what they could get

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been looking at a 24inch full suspension that can be upgraded to 26 for while for my son (130cm height). D24x is very interesting as not many brands at 24inch comes with the dropper post etc,.
My question though how easy is to upgrade the wheelset from 24 to 26 at some point in the future? Obviously the rims and tires but can the cassette be directly moved? Could you get in to a situation changing the whole drivetrain and brakes etc,? Happy to hear from anyone if you have done this before.
Cheers !!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been looking at a 24inch full suspension that can be upgraded to 26 for while for my son (130cm height). D24x is very interesting as not many brands at 24inch comes with the dropper post etc,.
My question though how easy is to upgrade the wheelset from 24 to 26 at some point in the future? Obviously the rims and tires but can the cassette be directly moved? Could you get in to a situation changing the whole drivetrain and brakes etc,? Happy to hear from anyone if you have done this before.
Cheers !!
These were just announced, so I don't think anyone has these in hand yet. There should be no need to change out the drivetrain or brakes, so long as the rotors and cassette are the same from one wheel size to the next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
These were just announced, so I don't think anyone has these in hand yet. There should be no need to change out the drivetrain or brakes, so long as the rotors and cassette are the same from one wheel size to the next.
Yea it is relatively a new bike.
Thanks for the advice. I'm assuming that cassette and rotors can be easily moved between the wheels sizes? Anything I need to be aware of?
I have also been thinking between the Marin Rift Zone Jr (come in 24 or 26 from the factory) vs the D24X. D24X has the dropper though. Any thought here would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
How tall is your kid? Are you looking for a 24" or 26" bike? The YT Primus 24" is a fairly massive upgrade over the Rift Zone for a 100$. Its also a ridiculously good looking bike. The 26" is a bit different but a nice bike...it says it has a 26" Machete JUnit, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. The JUnit forks are a legit 450-650$ fork depending on the model, the guts are really good and make a big difference for kids. Particularly the air-spring and custom tune. Looks like the 26" YT might have an OEM special there, I can't even find a 26" machete on their website. That fork is worth dealing with the SX drivetrain perhaps. The wheels and tires are an upgrade too.

I think if the kid is between 4'-3" and 4'-10" they fit the 24" well enough. If they are close to the end of that or bigger, then a decent 27.5 will work (from what I've seen). Worst case you can get 27.5 and throw 26" wheels on it for a year (I know a Dad that did that).

The cheaper Giant Stances XS are a great value. Their fork isn't perfect but its pretty dang smooth. I've heard there have been warranty issues tho with the early runs of the fork but its nice. Unsure if that's still an issue or not.

Yea it is relatively a new bike.
Thanks for the advice. I'm assuming that cassette and rotors can be easily moved between the wheels sizes? Anything I need to be aware of?
I have also been thinking between the Marin Rift Zone Jr (come in 24 or 26 from the factory) vs the D24X. D24X has the dropper though. Any thought here would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How tall is your kid? Are you looking for a 24" or 26" bike? The YT Primus 24" is a fairly massive upgrade over the Rift Zone for a 100$. Its also a ridiculously good looking bike. The 26" is a bit different but a nice bike...it says it has a 26" Machete JUnit, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. The JUnit forks are a legit 450-650$ fork depending on the model, the guts are really good and make a big difference for kids. Particularly the air-spring and custom tune. Looks like the 26" YT might have an OEM special there, I can't even find a 26" machete on their website. That fork is worth dealing with the SX drivetrain perhaps. The wheels and tires are an upgrade too.

I think if the kid is between 4'-3" and 4'-10" they fit the 24" well enough. If they are close to the end of that or bigger, then a decent 27.5 will work (from what I've seen). Worst case you can get 27.5 and throw 26" wheels on it for a year (I know a Dad that did that).

The cheaper Giant Stances XS are a great value. Their fork isn't perfect but its pretty dang smooth. I've heard there have been warranty issues tho with the early runs of the fork but its nice. Unsure if that's still an issue or not.
He is 130cm height. Technically he is a 24ich size however, he rides quite well.

Unfortunately, here is Australia YT bikes pricing is not as appealing. There is a decent gap in price between Polygone/Marin and YT, otherwise I agree YT is a better option.

You have a good point about moving from 24inch to 27.5 straight using a 26 wheel.

I'm now strongly considering the D24X and upgrade it to a 26ich later on to buy some time and then jump straight to a 27.5 on a XS frame.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Glad to hear about the Moco damper...hopefully its a good one. It's also got a dual chamber air spring (like debonair). I was surprised by how decent it was on that stance, even at low PSI. I think for young, light people that dual-chamber air-spring is absolutely critical...it just so much smoother off the top. I did see some people mention some warranty issues with it...but hopefully those have run their course. Eitherway, compared to the Rockshox recon line (trash), its great.

The Crest fork is a basic clone of Moco so far as I can tell from online docs

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There seem to be quite a lot of complaints and warranty claims on the Crest forks on Giant threads. Particularly on the Fathom. I have no doubt it is the vocal minority. Still, it is something to be aware of.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts