Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have used a few...

Started with a Camelbak Mule: good if you don't need anytihng but the bare essentials.

Moved to a Camelbak HAWG: carries a good bit of gear, started to be stretched when riding the Shore (armor) or with the helmet cam.

Now using a Dakine Apex: this pack was well thought out for the free rider. Lots of features for carrying armor and helmet. Lots of room. I think Camelbak has better bladders.

Pretty much using the Mule for road and the Apex for mountain.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Camelback Rim-Runner

total volume 1912ci, 100oz bladder, as big as the Transalp at 2/3rds of the price. About half a pound lighter than the transalp too. Good for arizona where 100oz is just not enough and you need more space for more H20.

And I love it, by far the best camelback for my uses.

·
Registered
142 Posts
camelbak blowfish

Lucky13 said:
Just name, model, volume, like it or not.

Thank you!
from 4 years ago... i dont remember how many ci's, but its a good amount. 100oz bladder. the main zipper just broke in half, though. are those warantee items?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
i use the original and the best...

Camelback Lobo...2 litre bladder with 1 litre of storage space...and believe me it looks small but ull be amazed what u can actually fit in there...hehheheheh...that sounded funny...:D

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Camelback Mule '04 model, 100oz's. Started with a Lobo and it just doesn't hold enough water and doesn't have enough storage. The Mule should be good enough for most long rides...unless you really do some seriously long rides.

·
DHR Rider
94 Posts
Camelback Mule...

Lucky13 said:

Thank you!
I've used a range of Camelback packs, from the early beginning (simple packs w/ an insulated bag and some shoulder straps) to now.

I use a Mule right now and haven't had problems with it at all. The pockets allow you to carry your wallet, keys and some tools, and I have managed to sqeeze a small towel in there as well for emergencies. the 2 litre (100oz) bladder is sufficient for a few hrs of riding. The straps are also long enough to allow you to wear it over chest armor & padding.

Cohiba

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
I use the Hydopak Overflow.
An unmatched deal at like 30 bucks. It has a capacity of 3 liters and the storage keeps everything nice and centered.
I think the best thing about it besides the price is the fact that the bladder is easy to pull out and when you need to clean it, you just turn it inside out and throw it in the dish washer!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here's my little secret.....shhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lucky13 said:

Thank you!
2 cans of Rockstar energy drink duct taped to my helmet with tubing runnin to my mouth!! But watch out, huge things may happen!

Beau

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Mule

Lucky13 said:

Thank you!
MULE suits all my needs ranging from 6 hour epic rides on my XC bike to psuedo-downhilling (pseudo since I would never claim to do real downhill riding). When I take a lot of gear, it actually works great to carry my elbow pads, shin and knee guards with a full 100 oz bladder. When a lot of climbing is involved, I even strap on my full face helmet. It may take a minute to configure this gear behing the mesh and or straps but I love the thing.

Cheers

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Lucky13 said:

Thank you!
Camelbak Mule. 100oz. I think it's the perfect size pack. 90% of the time it's just right. 5% of the time I wish it were smaller. 5% of the time I with it were larger. On short rides in moderate heat I'll only fill the bladder 1/2 way. On long rides in high heat I've always had enough water.

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Kona survival pack. Holds a 100oz bladder but other than that it doesnt have any other little pouches or sleeves inside of the bag. The bag itself is pretty good sized (inbetween a mule and hawg) but its just like an open backpack with a bladder sleeve, this makes it hard to find small stuff like a foldie tool while in a hurry. It works and im to busy buying parts to buy a new bag lmao. The dakine apex bag is SICK, however unless your going all day freeride epics like the north shore i think this bag could be alittle overkill, i could easily carry all my books to school in the thing, very nice bag tho without a doubt. A friend of mine just picked up a camelback from the hunting lineup called the striker, pretty cool bag and it comes in camo, how pimp is that? ;)

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
So Im one ot the few not using a Camelback..

Deuter, Race Air. 100oz bladder, good storage for a light jacket, tubes and tools, tough as nails. The really shine those because of the system Deuter uses to suspend the pack on your back. Since it doesn't actually rest on your skin, it keep syou much cooler than other packs Ive used.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
The H.A.W.G. does it all but race day. Hiking day pack, FR arrmour , Hammock, extra everything fits in there. When you don't fill it compression straps work pretty good.

Most important is that it fits 2 bladders for hot epics.

It washed up nice in the machine , turned inside/out. Darn (; ; cause the DaKine that fits a full/face on back looks nice.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
nothing most of the time. leave gatorade/water bottle at bottom or top of lift. drink as needed. :)

on XC days I use a camelbak lobo, 70oz water with enough room for a tube and some tools.

:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts