Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Bodhisattva
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time I am giving some preliminary thought to parting ways with my beloved Hammerhead frame. I moved from the East Coast to Colorado last year and the qualities I look for in bikes have changed along with the change in terrain & style. The Hammerhead is killer and still my bike of choice for the 5000' elevation days but those days are few & far between and I feel guilty just looking at the old girl parked in the garage & lonely from disuse.

It's a 2002 Medium 23 TT. I upgraded to the x-link and added a PUSH'd AVA along the way. Main bearings replaced this winter with enduro max bearings and also swapped out the Horst bushings. It has the usual wear & tear as one would expect from a 3 year old frame but nothing major. I'm including the Thomson post and could throw in an XTR RD since I'm now running SRAM. Remainder of the parts will go towards another frame sometime down the line.

I'm thinking $700-750 is reasonable.

What say you?

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Well

I think you should trade it in on something nice for your wife. God knows she deserves it.

·
Bodhisattva
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Green Giant said:
I think you should trade it in on something nice for your wife. God knows she deserves it.
For putting up with me? Yeah, she sure does.

What the heck is up with your email? Forget to pay the bill or did I make your ignore list?
They keep getting bounced back to me.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,878 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Seems like that's in the ball park of what mine went for a year ago. My frame was without the upgrades you mentioned. I believe you've seen that one in person, so it gives you an idea of the condition it was in.

And yes, there will be days that you miss the HH.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I think that is more than reasonable.
I just sold my 2001 rx80 with a squeaky rr float R for $650. The frame was in great cond, but still, it is an 01. Local sale through a classifieds forum. The buyer's parents also ride RX, so they knew exactly what they were buying.

If i lived in CO or UT, my RX100 would be for sale as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
rensho said:
If i lived in CO or UT, my RX100 would be for sale as well.

Good luck.
How come? Aside from the obvious "I'm going to shuttle to the big hit stuff"

I'm curious because I will be a new HH owner some time in the [near?] future, and we are moving to SLC this summer. It's a race - if I can sell the house and move to UT before Charles gets the frame then maybe I can skinny out of TX sales tax! :)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
For the first time I am giving some preliminary thought to parting ways with my beloved Hammerhead frame. I moved from the East Coast to Colorado last year and the qualities I look for in bikes have changed along with the change in terrain & style. The Hammerhead is killer and still my bike of choice for the 5000' elevation days but those days are few & far between and I feel guilty just looking at the old girl parked in the garage & lonely from disuse.

It's a 2002 Medium 23 TT. I upgraded to the x-link and added a PUSH'd AVA along the way. Main bearings replaced this winter with enduro max bearings and also swapped out the Horst bushings. It has the usual wear & tear as one would expect from a 3 year old frame but nothing major. I'm including the Thomson post and could throw in an XTR RD since I'm now running SRAM. Remainder of the parts will go towards another frame sometime down the line.

What say you?
so what are you leaning towards Sir Squeak? Are you going to go full Turner now and replace it with a Flux?

·
Bodhisattva
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really leaning towards anything. Just thinking out loud. There's a good chance I'll keep the Hammerhead. It's far too valuable to give it away.
The 6-Pack is my everyday bike and it's perfect for 95% of the rides around here. I'm thinking more for the big elevation rides up in the hills. I'd want something in the same weight range as the HH and something that keeps most of its climbing accumen (although I've never ridden anything that climbs quite as well), but has slacker geometry for a more laid back descent and a bit more travel.
The 5-Spot & Yeti 575 probably top the list.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Not really leaning towards anything. Just thinking out loud. There's a good chance I'll keep the Hammerhead. It's far too valuable to give it away.
The 6-Pack is my everyday bike and it's perfect for 95% of the rides around here. I'm thinking more for the big elevation rides up in the hills. I'd want something in the same weight range as the HH and something that keeps most of its climbing accumen (although I've never ridden anything that climbs quite as well), but has slacker geometry for a more laid back descent and a bit more travel.
The 5-Spot & Yeti 575 probably top the list.
i hear yuh.....so what you are trying to say is now that your 6-pack project is done, the disease is recurring and you must feed it with yet another "change" ;)

seriously though, if I were trying to fill the void of which you speak, I would definitely go with the 575, hands down. You should mix it up a bit and not become so monochromatic like so many other Turner Homers and the 575 just seems logical for your needs. The only other bike I would like to try (though I know little of it) is the Intense 5.5 but I doubt it would be a better fit than the 575.

·
Bodhisattva
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Monochromaticity (is that a word?) has nothing to do with it. I had no problem going from Titus to Turner and I would have no problem going to another manufacturer if the track record is solid (Hello Tony E., are you listening?). But my LBS aka MHC deals with only a few makers which limits my options. Unfortunately Yeti is not on the list.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Monochromaticity (is that a word?) has nothing to do with it. I had no problem going from Titus to Turner and I would have no problem going to another manufacturer if the track record is solid (Hello Tony E., are you listening?). But my LBS aka MHC deals with only a few makers which limits my options. Unfortunately Yeti is not on the list.
i know...i was just teasing about the monochromatic thing. I would of course, especially in your shoes given your geography, stick with Sir Larry's a la carte menu of bikes. A 5 Spot with an RP3 would be oh so sweet.

Cheers

·
Registered
907 Posts
Loudpawlz said:
Seems like that's in the ball park of what mine went for a year ago. My frame was without the upgrades you mentioned. I believe you've seen that one in person, so it gives you an idea of the condition it was in.

And yes, there will be days that you miss the HH.
Yep, actually it was $975 shipped. But that frame was a bit less dinged up than Squeak's, and that was a year ago, so it was a 2 year old frame as oppossed to a 3 year old frame. Not to mention it was listed in the classifieds for a full month before it sold.

btw, I just added the AVA sleave and had the old Float Pushed. I'm waiting for the carbon X-links to become available before I upgrade that.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
I moved from the East Coast to Colorado last year and the qualities I look for in bikes have changed along with the change in terrain & style. The Hammerhead is killer and still my bike of choice for the 5000' elevation days but those days are few & far between.
So, if you came back to ride Waterbury again, would you be on the Hammerhead or the 6-pack?

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
TnTaylor said:
How come? Aside from the obvious "I'm going to shuttle to the big hit stuff"

I'm curious because I will be a new HH owner some time in the [near?] future, and we are moving to SLC this summer. It's a race - if I can sell the house and move to UT before Charles gets the frame then maybe I can skinny out of TX sales tax! :)
Yeah, I'm not sure what Rensho has in mind, but I've done quite a bit of riding around SLC and the HH100x shines. Park City, Wasatch Crest, Shoreline, Dry Creek, City Creek, etc.... all these trails are perfect for the HH. High elevation, fairly smooth surface with some rocky stuff too, lots of climbing, tight twisty singletrack.

Is there stuff in Utah where the 6 pack would be better?.... Sure, it just depends on the types of trails you seek out, but a big percentage of the trails around SLC are perfect for the HH. Enjoy.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Yup VT

VT Mike said:
Oh yeah, can't you picture them on one of these :)
That is exactly what I was thinking. I mean, who needs anytime away from their wife? Seriously Squeek, this is exactly what I was thinking. A Ventana for two. I'm sure larry could hook you up.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Sorry, i should have been more specific. I'm only thinking of Moab and Fruita.
I rode Moab on my RX80. While it was a great time, it was very obvious that the short travel was limiting my fun. Sure RX100 would help a little, but i was thinking a bit more than 4" travel was needed.
To each his own of course.

Wow, that is a long seatpost on that tandem!

·
Paper or plastic?
10,639 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Mike,
I'd have as much luck getting Amy on the tandem as I would getting her to agree to a manage-a-trois :p
It's menage not manage. :) Menage loosely means couple/household. It also can mean cleaning as in "faire le menage" (to clean the house). Obviously, you weren't talking about spring cleaning, but a 3 way on that tandem would require some serious skills... :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.