Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you got permission from your s.o. to spend money on one item to replace on the bike for next season what would you do? Here's the setup:

Santa Cruz Superlight 26.2lbs (It's a little heavy)
Fox Float RLC Front(super plush, but heavy. I'm stickin with it!)
Fox Float R on the Back
Avid Mech Disk
XTR STI Shifters
XT Derailuers
MAVIC 717x Rims
Mythos Front and Rear Tires
Carbon Fiber Bar and Seatpost.
EA 70 110' Stem
LX Crank
XTR Cassette

I'm trying to decide between MAVIC Crossmax SL UST or FSA Carbon Fiber Pro Team Crankset. Obviously I'm looking to cut weight, but the dilemna is clearly not apples to apples.
-Ocky

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
OdaNelli said:
So if you got permission from your s.o. to spend money on one item to replace on the bike for next season what would you do? Here's the setup:

Fox Float R on the Back
Avid Mech Disk
XTR STI Shifters
XT Derailuers
MAVIC 717x Rims
EA 70 110' Stem
LX Crank
XTR Cassette

I'm trying to decide between MAVIC Crossmax SL UST or FSA Carbon Fiber Pro Team Crankset. Obviously I'm looking to cut weight, but the dilemna is clearly not apples to apples.
-Ocky
Best weight to lose is in the wheels...I'd go wheels. Noticeable performance gains with the lighter rotational mass and tubeless tech.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I'd go with the wheels.
Doing the Cranks will likely open up the rest of the can of worms - worn chain & cassette with new rings don't usually mesh too well....

....Maybe consider a different wheelset too, you can get Lighter/Nicer/Cheaper AND when you're on a trip someplace and bust a spoke, any-shop will have something for you and nowhere near the price of Mavics spokes. Something to consider, good luck.

·
Registered
571 Posts
OdaNelli said:

Fox Float R on the Back
Avid Mech Disk
XTR STI Shifters
XT Derailuers
MAVIC 717x Rims
EA 70 110' Stem
LX Crank
XTR Cassette

-Ocky
Definitely wheels!!

Get something laced to some Mavic X517 rims in the 1500g range for the set. Get in touch with Mike at www.oddsandendos.com

Oh - and post pics when it's done :D

GF

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
wheels

OdaNelli said:

Fox Float R on the Back
Avid Mech Disk
XTR STI Shifters
XT Derailuers
MAVIC 717x Rims
EA 70 110' Stem
LX Crank
XTR Cassette

-Ocky
get some chris king hubs if you can swing it and re-lace em to your 717s if they are still in good shape.
I would skip the ust too you can always go with stans later if you really want tubeless.
I would look at any way I could to get chris kings on the bike - if It means you can upgrade one wheel at a time do it. get the rear first. you won't be sorry-

·
pepito
640 Posts
wheels.

without a doubt, i'd go with wheels. cranks are more of a fashion statement than anything else. i'm running a set of 1994 lx cranks on one bike, and some rf on another. i can't notice a difference in feel, and the weight savings of the rf is not even enough to care about. carbon cranks are just a waste of money imho. besides, rotational weight is what you want to cut down on most, and wheels will do that for you.

the_dude

·
Registered
70 Posts
Stan's rims

cbchess said:
get some chris king hubs if you can swing it and re-lace em to your 717s if they are still in good shape.
I would skip the ust too you can always go with stans later if you really want tubeless.
I would look at any way I could to get chris kings on the bike - if It means you can upgrade one wheel at a time do it. get the rear first. you won't be sorry-
My wife's wheels are Chris King hubs laced to Stan's rims. Very light rotating weight, especially running 480 gram tires. I have CrossMax XLs. Front wheels is heavy because of the hub but back wheel is very close to SL's weight. Also run 480 gram tires with Stans.

Bruce

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a link to the "Stan's" by chance?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I'd go with wheels too...

I'd go with the wheels. Why?

You have a back up set.
Rotational weight.
'Better' upgrade than the cranks.

The LX crank is a workhorse, it really is nothing to be ashamed of, plus if it does break (bashing into rocks, bending rings, etc) it hurts a LOT less than replacing a carbon crank.

I'd look elsewhere besides Mavic system wheels though. Can get as light and durable, plus cheaper. I'd look at your favorite LBS, or Mike Garcia at www.oddsandendos.com or Larry at www.mtnhighcyclery.com.

Good luck,

JmZ

OdaNelli said:

Fox Float R on the Back
Avid Mech Disk
XTR STI Shifters
XT Derailuers
MAVIC 717x Rims
EA 70 110' Stem
LX Crank
XTR Cassette

-Ocky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts