Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use short cranks for DHing ? 170mm 0r less.

Are the DH specific ? if so what band , model.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
I use Saint 170's....good enough for me....I have a high botto,m bracket too...I never hit my pedals when pedaling....but 5mm is really nothing

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I use Saint 170's....good enough for me....I have a high botto,m bracket too...I never hit my pedals when pedaling....but 5mm is really nothing
If 5mm is nothing, then why do so many SS'rs use 180mm's ?

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
then is it worth it to get 175 or 180 mm cranks for 4X to get that extra oooomph out of the gate and distance-per-crank?

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
170s on the two bikes I don't climb with

175s on the two bikes I do climb on

·
Registered
240 Posts
Crank length should be proportional to leg size, with different ranges of sizes for different applications.

In my mind, crank length should be related to frame size. So for DH racing, I think that 165 would be appropriate for Small frames, 170 for M, and 175 for L. Of course, it is way too complicated for frame builders to adjust their BB height accordingly.

Me, I ride 175 for DH, etc and 180 for CC. Oh wait, I don't have a cc bike. I quickly learned to adjust my pedalling to account for the longer cranks and can enjoy the extra torque.

As someone else mentioned, smoother courses allow for longer cranks.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
6' but still use 170s.

.WestCoastHucker. said:
yup, i'm a midget and i only have a 28" inseam, that's why i run the 170mms.....
It's funny, I've started enjoying using 170mm cranks for even just trail riding. Maybe because I'm older, I spin my cranks more than mash them, but I never was a masher anyway. I have two Bullits set up almost identically now, except one has 170s while the other 175s. I like the way the 170s feel, and I definitely like the 170s in rocky, technical areas. Even though I'm 6', I have a 32" inseam...definitely a longer torso layout. I think most people are just tuned into 175 cranks because that's what 90% of most bikes come with...except of course for serious DH.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.