Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stans Arch w/Hope hubs

Votes: 15 83.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help in making a decision here on what wheelset to get. These are going on a Vassago Jabberwocky, full rigid. It'll mostly be run as SS, but I may throw gears on it from time to time. Options 1 & 2 would come from BicycleWheelWarhouse, Option 3 from Chain Reaction. Here's the choices:

Option 1: $575

Mavic TN719 29er
Front Hub: Shimano XTR Centerlock Pewter QR
Rear Hub: Shimano XTR Centerlock Pewter QR
Spokes: DT Competition Black 1.8/1.6
Rim Tape: Stans Tape/Valves Installed

Option 2: $330

Sun Inferno 23 29er
Front Hub: Pure XCR Red QR
Rear Hub: Pure XCR Red QR
Spokes: DT SuperComp Black
Rim Tape: Stans Tape/Valves Installed

Option 3: $525

Specifications:

Rims: Stans Arch
Hubs: Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo
Spokes: Sapim Race.

So....what do you all think? I like the Sun Inferno's from a price standpoint, but am a little leary of the BWW hubs. I've seen some not so great reviews. The Mavics, I worry about rim width. Not sure if I have any worries about the Stans/Hope combo.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
If you are going to spend $500 on wheels....do the Arch/Hope's....much more versatile and solid. The Mavic's seem heavy for the width of the rim.

·
Registered
988 Posts
X2 on the stans/hope combo. Check out wiggle.com you might be able to find a better price there than crc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can save about $30 buying from Wiggle...but they only have the Crest rim in stock. Does that change anyone's mind? Doesn't seem like a deal-breaker to me but wheels are definitely not my forte.

Edit: I go about 185 all geared up. I may be pushing the upper end of the weight for the Crest. Not sure the minimal weight and money savings of the Crest would be worth it.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
I can save about $30 buying from Wiggle...but they only have the Crest rim in stock. Does that change anyone's mind? Doesn't seem like a deal-breaker to me but wheels are definitely not my forte.

Edit: I go about 185 all geared up. I may be pushing the upper end of the weight for the Crest. Not sure the minimal weight and money savings of the Crest would be worth it.

Crests are going to be kinda flexy at your weight.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
If you are going to spend $500 on wheels....do the Arch/Hope's....much more versatile and solid. The Mavic's seem heavy for the width of the rim.
That's because the Mavic is much stronger than the Arch, in terms of strength the 719 is a lot closer to the Flow than the Arch, and not surprisingly so is its weight.

It's a bit late since the OP has already made the purchase, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. The Sun Inferno 23 is weak, as in I weigh 150 lbs and would not use it on any of my bikes other than the commuter. It, along with the Sun CR17A set the record for the shortest time from new to pretzeled.

Arch is Ok, I think they're pretty mediocre especially for what they cost. They have no standout qualities other than making tire compatibility a PITA. Spank Industries Oozy 26 Evos and WTB KOM 23s are about the same weight and both are stiffer and stronger than the Arch. And they don't give you tire headaches.

Which leaves the Mavic 719 as the best option, its only downside is weight and a narrower profile than most modern rims (Mavic measures internal width, it's still wider than the Inferno 23). It was my rim of choice until I got the WTB Frequency i23 which is the same weight but wider & stiffer.

·
Lost in the Trees
67 Posts
I have a set of Mavic wheels on my Turner, but would never buy them again. They perform just fine, but when I had to replace a rear spoke it was a nightmare. The spokes are proprietary and come in many sizes so no bike shop is likely to stock them. It took my shop 3 weeks to get a replacement. First shipment was the wrong size (shop error, but Mavic shares the blame.) Mavic took more than a week and half in each case.

Then, since the shop has no use for the extra spokes, I had to pay for the full package of 12, $84. Forget it.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I have a set of Mavic wheels on my Turner, but would never buy them again. They perform just fine, but when I had to replace a rear spoke it was a nightmare.
This is why I'll never buy any wheel that uses proprietary spokes. Shop I used to work at many years ago stocked Mavic spokes, but only because the some of the owner's good friends had broken spokes on their Mavic wheelsets. Mavic's rims are great if they fit your needs, but their hubs & spokes suck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
is that your max your willing to spend a bit more? Those new ibis wheels seem like a great deal at about $1200.. Or you could go with some Derby rims and build up a set with some good hubs for even a bit less.. Youll end up with wide-stiff-strong--light wheels that should last a good long time.. Ive been looking to build up a new set of wheels and any of those ibis,derby,nox-- rims with some good hubs seems like a nice way to go..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is that your max your willing to spend a bit more? Those new ibis wheels seem like a great deal at about $1200.. Or you could go with some Derby rims and build up a set with some good hubs for even a bit less.. Youll end up with wide-stiff-strong--light wheels that should last a good long time.. Ive been looking to build up a new set of wheels and any of those ibis,derby,nox-- rims with some good hubs seems like a nice way to go..

Dang man...your definition of "a bit more" is way different than mine! But yeah, those are out of my desired price range by a pretty decent amount.

Like I said earlier, I ended up ordering the Hope/Arch combo. Hope I end up happy with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts